• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which sub-alpha bino (1 Viewer)

Hello, speaking from my personal opinion and experience:

-Top level (Alpha) binoculars:Swarovski EL, Zeiss Sf, Leica Noctivid.

Someone may not like rolling ball effect, flare, ergonomics, size, ... , of some of them.
But in my opininion, these 3 binoculars are the best available optics today, not only at the edges but also at the center of field, with better spherical aberration and better overall image as a whole.

-Second level ( Betta) binoculars: Swarovski SLC, Zeiss HT/FL, Leica Ultravid HD+, Nikon EDG.

Alpha and betta binoculars are at the same mechanical level (except SLC).

-Third level ( Gamma) binoculars:Swarovski CL, Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Nikon HG, Kowa Genesis, Nikon SE/EII.

-Fourth level (Delta) binoculars:Zeiss Terra, Nikon Monarch, ...

Last edited:
Lots of opinions here. I can only share that I love my Conquest 32s and think they are just superb. I have looked through the FL's and honestly don't see much difference. The top end Swaros are a different story, those are the only bins I think are significantly better.

I agree

Someone may not like rolling ball effect, flare, ergonomics, size, ... , of some of them.
But in my opininion, these 3 binoculars are the best available optics today, not only at the edges but also at the center of field, with better spherical aberration and better overall image as a whole.

-Second level ( Betta) binoculars: Swarovski SLC, Zeiss HT/FL, Leica Ultravid HD+, Nikon EDG.

-Third level ( Gamma) binoculars:Swarovski CL, Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Nikon HG, Kowa Genesis, Nikon SE/EII.

Jeez! Third rate ! Don't let Bill see that ! :eek!: :) ;)

Chosun :gh:

The SLC 42 could be considered as Beta, but the SLC 56 are Alphas for sure (mechanically and optically).

Oh well, Nikon not popular in the U.K? Well I’ll just have to keep my 3rd rate bin (E2) to myself,
Cost less than a quarter of an alpha and you always see to get what you pay for ;-) I can spend the money I save on a better spotter or other “sub alpha” stuff!

Peter

Seems like you have owned many a glass, and spent much time viewing through them.

Andy W.

The SLC never agreed with me. I have tried one before and the focuser on them is IMHO a mess. Tough to start, then loose one way, with at least consistent but a different level of resistance the other way. Both pairs have been similar and some months apart. Maybe it is something that would become accustomed to but it was too difficult to get a nice focus.

I've owned (and sold) two pairs of SLC's now, about 3 years apart. Your experience is EXACTLY the same as mine. Life is too short to deal with a crappy focus wheel, no matter how good the glass is, and regardless of the fact that plenty of my "other field hobby" friends think I'm nuts because I prefer my Conquest HD's over the SLC. Well, they probably don't go birding either, and I don't have to tell anyone here how annoying a sticky focus wheel is during an hours-long birding excursion with warblers at 10 feet and sandhill cranes flying overhead at 1/4 mile, all at the same time.

I've owned (and sold) two pairs of SLC's now, about 3 years apart. Your experience is EXACTLY the same as mine. Life is too short to deal with a crappy focus wheel, no matter how good the glass is, and regardless of the fact that plenty of my "other field hobby" friends think I'm nuts because I prefer my Conquest HD's over the SLC. Well, they probably don't go birding either, and I don't have to tell anyone here how annoying a sticky focus wheel is during an hours-long birding excursion with warblers at 10 feet and sandhill cranes flying overhead at 1/4 mile, all at the same time.

I can agree with you on this one, a couple of years ago, I asked to look at
a 10x42 SLC in a sporting goods store. I was amazed when I first tried to
focus this binocular, it was just stuck. I managed to get it to focus but
something was clearly wrong. I told the guy there to just send it back
for a replacement, don't sell it.

I am a Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss fanboy, but an equal opportunity optics
critic, I like binoculars and it is a bad, good habit, and my hobby. ;)

The Zeiss Conquest HD has a very smooth focuser, I recommend it
and the Nikon Monarch HG as great choices in the sub-alpha category.

Jerry

The Zeiss Conquest HD has a very smooth focuser, I recommend it
and the Nikon Monarch HG as great choices in the sub-alpha category.

Jerry

Those are exactly the two pairs I recommend.

I still cannot believe just how well my Conquest HD's resolve detail. Every time I've looked at a $400-1K pair of bins and thought "hey, these are pretty good," I pull out my Conquest HD's and realize what "really good" looks like.

After a few years of testing "sub-alpha" bins, I'm finally starting to get a feel for what I should expect for my money.

Believe it or not, the only pair of bins I've tested in the past 2 years that can hang with my Conquest HD's in terms if pure sharpness, are my wife's "budget" 8x42 Legend M's. It's silly how sharp those are. They beat out a pair of Swaro SLC 8x30's easily. So much so that I owned that pair of Swaros for less than 48 hours.

These IMO are all solid choices. I have all three except my Conquest HD is a 10X42...

For me in 8X42, it would come down to the Monarch HG and the SLC. Not that the Conquest HD 8X42 isn't a nice binocular but it just doesn't have the FOV of the other two. I realize the added benefit of more FOV as my birding experience evolves.

I stuck all three on the digital scale just for fun....all without any type of lens cover and a harness snap ON. I even weighed in grams for you! ;)

Monarch HD 8X42- 661gm
Conquest HD 10X42- 797gm
SLC 8X42- 796gm

I have used the SLC 8X42 a LOT this year, the Monarch HG a good bit. Several times I had the SLC bottomed out on close focus during normal use. But let's face it....any closer than about 10ft while looking at birds and you can just put your binoculars down.

The SLC is probably a better binocular optically, maybe one of the best BUT...I'm not so sure you'll ever notice it in normal birding usage. The Monarch HG is a really nice birding binocular....nice ergonomics, smooth focus, extra wide FOV, good overall design. ALSO in actuality it's over 100gm lighter.

This would be a hard decision between these two for me to make and I have them both sitting on the shelf! That in itself says a lot about the Monarch HG. I'd have no hesitations with going birding with either, anywhere. Probably would just come down to how much I was willing to spend.

Hi Chuck, Its 2020 now, do u still feel its tuff to choose between Monarch HG and SLC?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back