• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird driving me nuts in So Cal (1 Viewer)

jyeh74

Hi everyone,

I live in Orange County. City of Irvine. I live on a greenbelt in the back of my house, there is a trail with a bunch of trees. Recently, there is a screeching bird. It must be nocturnal because it starts screeching nonstop from night time (9pm until 4am) Each screech last about 1 second and about 2-3 seconds in between screeches. I did not hear it until end of May. I cannot find it, as it is in the tree (3-4 stories up), to take a picture.

This bird is driving me insane. Non stop squaking at night. It does not sound like a crow, screeching owl or raven. It is loud. What can I do to scare it away?

Last edited:
Hi jyeh and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

The only thing I can think of is Screech Owl, but if it's definitely not that, then we'll have to wait for some more of your countrymen to wake up. If it's anything to do with breeding behaviour it should stop in the next few weeks.

All part of wanting to live in the country I'm afraid - you need to take the rough with the smooth.

You live on greenbelt and complain about wildlife noise? ...Why would you want to live out in the country and scare away the wildlife? Maybe you should move to the city...traffic noise is probably a better option for you...

Your bird might be a Mockingbird.
They do have a record of nighttime singing, plus they have a similar alarm call.
You might try playing a Mockingbird tape when you hear your bird and see if there is a response.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back