• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweden, Gotland, 3rd of Oct 2011. Common treecreeper och short toed dito? (1 Viewer)

Rookie123

Hi,

Anyone has as an idea if this is a common treecreeper or a short-toed treecreeper?

Thankful for any help.

Attachments

• tk or ttk1.JPG
    tk or ttk1.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 97
  • tk or ttk.jpg
    tk or ttk.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 125
Common to me - alula without extended white edge, short-ish beak, well marked supercillum up to the front of the head, no buff vent and probably some other features on wings which I don't know that well.

i'd put most weight on the strong step in the pale wingbar (left pic in the composed one). commonm treecreeper indeed. all other features are variable and overlapping, bill length is sex-dependent. call is best! and STC would be a mega on gotland...

Thanks for the input Lou! Im very new to birding. The possibility for rookies like me to start learning through this forum is really great!

Thanks John! This sure seems like a good place to visit frequently, given my very recent interest in birding. Biggest challenge for me is to learn lots of not so commonly used phrases in a non native language. Never had any tests in school with words like "supercillum", "wingbar" or "Short toed treecreeper"... but hopefully Ill pick that up as time goes by.

Thanks John! This sure seems like a good place to visit frequently, given my very recent interest in birding. Biggest challenge for me is to learn lots of not so commonly used phrases in a non native language. Never had any tests in school with words like "supercillum", "wingbar" or "Short toed treecreeper"... but hopefully Ill pick that up as time goes by.

To help people like you, we do have the opus. On the front page is several tabs, and one of them goes to the resources page (direct link is: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Resources_Portal). Notice here the page on Topography and the different dictionary pages.

Niels

Just out of interest, how are the calls of these two different? I heard Treecreepers on my visit to france but I didn't notice any difference in the high-pitched and shrill whistles I was hearing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back