• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I was at my local Cabelas today and in the bargain cave they had a pair of Swarovision 10x42 el for $999.00. I don’t think I have ever seen a pair at that price. I looked through them and no problems optically but the focus was really stiff. It is the model just before the current field pro

I thought about it but after comparing them to my 8x56 slc I just can’t do it. I have been through a lot of binoculars lately and think I have finally found the one for me. The view through the 8x56 is just stunning for me. I wear glasses and it is hands down the easiest and most relaxed view I have seen. At dusk when the light fades it is just as easy to look through with no eye strain whatsoever. Also the color balance to me seems just perfect in the slc with no glare which I think maybe has to do with the prism system the new slc uses. I am an amateur astronomer and use them on a tripod and when looking at the moon the moon is just so white and glare free compared to other binoculars I have had including the Noctivid. The Noctivid was almost as good but after using them for awhile the slight amount of ca got on my nerves.

The 8x56 SLC is special in those ways you describe. It is excellent in low light and does control CA and glare exceptionally well. It has an easy relaxed distortion free view I think due to that big objective lens and longer focal length. As long as your on a tripod you don't mind the weight.

you can't compare a 10X42 to a 8X56....there is too much difference in the size of the exit pupils that give you a such relaxed view with the bigger one !

For that reason i ve dismised the 10X42sv compare to 8.5X42 SV.

For me if you have a good glass the size of the exit pupils makes an hudge difference...everybody say more light...i think the most important is the relaxed view it give it to you !

For $999 I would have procured them on the spot. The 56 is more aperture and I notice it at night under the night sky, my FL 10X56 reaches more than my other 10X50s, but I have yet to spend any extended time with the SLC 10X56, the SLC 15X56 is the best hand held IMO for night viewing.
I just got my SV 8.5X42 back from repair of the focus, they threw in new eye-cups and mailed back the slightly used ones as spares, great service.

Andy W.

I would have bought the SV 10x42 on the spot also. It is not FP but it is still a $1500.00 glass for $1K. In my experience Swarovski service is hard to beat. That is part of the reason you pay more when you buy them. The higher magnification 15x56 is no doubt the best for astronomy. It is surprising but you can hand hold 15X and you just are going to see more detail with it. It probably gives a nice view of Orion in the winter. I was into astronomy for a long time and the best scope I had was a 10 inch Orion Intelliscope reflector. With a Nagler eyepiece in it on a clear night it was like orbiting the moon in a space craft. I wonder how the Vortex Kaibab HD 18x56 would be for astronomy.

Last edited:
I had the Nikon 20x120 III about 12 years ago. I bought it from astronomics for $5,400.00. It was amazing on the Pleiades and Orion. It was the only optical instrument I have had that I could see pink visually with in the Orion Nebula. I wrote a review about them on cloudy nights. I also had a 20” obsession telescope at the same time and although the view was magnificent in the 20” I still could not get the pink visually in Orion like I did in the Nikon binocular. I never could understand that. Now the Nikon sells for over $10,000.00 I traded the Nikon binoculars for a Celestron nexstar C11 which I still have and enjoy a lot. It was the last Celestron made in the USA and has killer optics. I have seen detail on Saturn that I couldn’t detect in my 6” Astro-Physics or Takahashi FS 152.

I think using two eyes with a binocular like the Nikon 20x120 III you can pick up fainter colors. That is interesting that the 20" Obsession wouldn't pick it up. My 10" would never pick it up either.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back