• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (2 Viewers)

Covering a large number of birds in a species rich country, effectively whilst at the same time, trying to kep a book prortable is alwasy goung to cause issues, perhaps more authors should apply the two volume approach?

They'd minimise the text in the ID volume to keep it light for the field and then be free to write a fuller account in the second volume which birders could choose to either leave at home or in a hotel room.

I fully agree. Though, looking at some South America books, there was still way too much in the ID volume.

They should split field guides to such bird-rich countries into several pieces geographically, say tropical North vs Central and South. Assuming field guide-books will survive the next decade without being replaced by apps.

Tropical field guides are often unnecessarily cluttered. Often there are species-clones which are separated geographically, identified by location and essentially not possible to confuse with each other in the field, only with sympatric birds from another species-group.

BTW I received the Mongolia guide (the second one by Ganbold & Smith) and was a bit let down in the end - quality of illustrations unfortunately is also rather inconsistent with many plates being rather disappointing. Well they are different from Helm guide illustrations so that's good (for me at least - I got what I wanted I guess), but inconsistent quality was my gripe with many of recent Helm guides so it not really an upgrade in that area. The sample pages that are available are picked out carefully to show some of best that are in the book (can't blame them of course - it's all about marketing these days) - so if you already do not like the sample pages... Rest will not change your mind ;)

The species accounts also are somewhat too concise for me - for many difficult species the combo of text+illustration would be difficult to use for correct field identification (especially if you do not have previous knowledge/experience with these species or don't have other more in-depth sources available to check). So in the end I would rate this book as 6,5/10 - not bad of course, still usable for most of the time (of course haven't tested in the field - it could change my opinion for better or worse) but obviously not without flaws.

Last edited:
The revised Australian Bird Guide (Menkhorst et al 2018**), which I got in Perth, WA (Boffins Bookshop) last month, is hugely improved over the very recent original edition, which rather goes to make your point. I'm unsure as to whether it is available in Europe, yet...
MJB
**I was told that it first went on sale in 2019...

Could you elaborate on this, i.e. what has been improved, as it seems strange to bring out a hugely improved version of what was already an excellent book so soon after the initial publication? I hope they re-did the rosella plates at least! It would be too much to hope that they added the length of the birds to the new edition (a bizarre omission last time).

Could you elaborate on this, i.e. what has been improved, as it seems strange to bring out a hugely improved version of what was already an excellent book so soon after the initial publication? I hope they re-did the rosella plates at least! It would be too much to hope that they added the length of the birds to the new edition (a bizarre omission last time).

It now has a solidly functional index. I have heard comment that a number of maps have been updated and a number of texts revised. Word of mouth is that additional splits have been included and many new taxonomic changes have been accommodated - I haven't done a direct comparison with the initial edition. Perhaps if you posted on the Australia sub-forum you could get Oz birders to go into detail on the changes? The rosella plates appear unchanged, but the headers to some texts do include tail lengths.
MJB

The revised Australian Bird Guide (Menkhorst et al 2018**), which I got in Perth, WA (Boffins Bookshop) last month, is hugely improved over the very recent original edition, which rather goes to make your point. I'm unsure as to whether it is available in Europe, yet...
MJB

I think this is poor form tbh, my copy is 2017 when it was first printed and you cannot tell me that all these changes were'nt anticipated to some degree?

I think this is poor form tbh, my copy is 2017 when it was first printed and you cannot tell me that all these changes were'nt anticipated to some degree?

Andy, I've no idea of the back story on what caused a revised edition to be brought out so soon (Incidentally, I found a statement on line that stated that the first of the revised edition didn't appear until August 2019), but here's plausible scenario:

CSIRO is a government agency, and it may share the kind of accounting system that was prevalent in UK Ministries at least until recently. That required monies authorised for spending in Year X to be spent in year X and any shortfall would be reflected in reduced allocation for Year Y. If this were the case, then it is possible that those in charge of the department producing the book had to get the monies allotted to a printing contract spent, or the whole project could have been slowed down over several years.

If the original edition had therefore been prepared for publication in haste for reasons akin to that outlined above, that would explain the abortion of an index it had. Now, having secured the funding for year Y, loose ends could be tidied up and the more recent taxonomic aspects could be included, and so reduced funding for Year Z could be obtained to help keep track of all updates for very changed 2nd edition, perhaps in 10 years time, the budget line for the project over that period being hugely reduced. In turn this would enable a higher funding level to be put into long-term costings in Year Z + 10....

I spent some time over three years some time ago in smoothing out long-term costings so that politicians in office could not complain of being surprised, but the above is simply my speculation which arose because I couldn't find any explanation at all on the CSIRO website.
MJB

MJB

Hello MJB

I have just ordered this revised Australian Bird Guide, Menkhorst et al from Fishpond and it will be shipped from Australia. They do not charge for shipping / delivery. Cost £29.97 with an estimated deleivery date of the 7th -15th January. I searched extensively on the internet to see if it was available in the UK / Europe / Closer, but was not available. I could find the previous 2017 edition, which preceded it.

Hope that is of some help to people ?

Kind regards, Carol

Last edited:
The Australian Bird Guide by Menkhorst et al is a definitive guide BUT is so bulky & unwieldy that it can't be classed as a field guide. Hence as I leave home for Australia, it's Morecombe's inferior but far more functional book that's going with me. Rather than a revised but still weighty tome what is needed is a pocketable guide (or guides), perhaps shorn of extreme rarities, that could function as a genuine field guide.

The Australian Bird Guide by Menkhorst et al is a definitive guide BUT is so bulky & unwieldy that it can't be classed as a field guide. Hence as I leave home for Australia, it's Morecombe's inferior but far more functional book that's going with me. Rather than a revised but still weighty tome what is needed is a pocketable guide (or guides), perhaps shorn of extreme rarities, that could function as a genuine field guide.

I could not find a weight, but size descriptions sounded like it is very similar to the old Pizzey and Knight field guide which is on my shelf and which I have used in the field. Given the number of species it has to cover, I consider that a reasonable size?

Niels

The golden rule of Oz field guides is that they have to be an unorthodox size- big and bulky like the Aus Bird Guide and Pizzey and Knight or too wide like Day and Plant and Morecombe; the only ones that are a nice size for field use are the venerable Slater and the field edition of Morecombe.
I have not yet seen the new edition of the ABG- I wonder if they now have Hornbill Friarbird included, and have body size measurements not that absurd wingspan business they so unwisely adopted?
Two unrelated topics- I saw both versions of the new Mongolia Field Guide and Gomboo's version from Helm is the better, with better brighter plates and a more progressive taxonomy
My long awaited Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds is imminent also, I now have an advance copy......

The golden rule of Oz field guides is that they have to be an unorthodox size- big and bulky like the Aus Bird Guide and Pizzey and Knight or too wide like Day and Plant and Morecombe; the only ones that are a nice size for field use are the venerable Slater and the field edition of Morecombe.
I have not yet seen the new edition of the ABG- I wonder if they now have Hornbill Friarbird included, and have body size measurements not that absurd wingspan business they so unwisely adopted?
Two unrelated topics- I saw both versions of the new Mongolia Field Guide and Gomboo's version from Helm is the better, with better brighter plates and a more progressive taxonomy
My long awaited Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds is imminent also, I now have an advance copy......

Hornbill Friarbird isn't mentioned, unfortunately. For the moment, I can't recall which taxon is involved...

Body size measurements seem occasional, so probably little change there.

I did see Fawn-breasted Bowerbird at Lockhardt...

By the way, did you have a tour group starting from Cairns on 31 October? It only occurred to us that the group who were at the gassy area just past the north end of the Esplanade were hurrying off because their tour leader, Philip, was waiting for them? If so, we missed each other by less than 100 metres!
MJB

………..
There is also a special publication on this exhibition (in Spanish)

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/tot...n-30-anys-de-lynx-edicions-cataleg-exposicio/

That is actually in Catalan, not in Spanish. Lynx is really (and rightfully) trying to do justice to their local language. :t:

The English description on the Lynx website also mentions the initial criticism Lynx had to overcome: "It describes the adversities experienced in the early years by the three founders, Ramon Mascort, Josep del Hoyo and Jordi Sargatal, and how they guided the work to a successful conclusion." After 30 years, there are certainly many who never read about the beginnings. I hope the publication will come out in English as well. To me, the story of Lynx is a great example of what can be achieved when a few people join who have a strong vision. And Barcelona has definitely gained in reputation as well. Who would have thought that such a feat could be accomplished by relatively "unknowns" in a country that was more known for cruelty to animals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back