• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

Med Gulls

On Tuesday 23rd May I spent 4 hours intensely monitoring the Med Gull nest at the Moors. I struggled to get a clear view of the bird through a heat haze and partially obscured by thick vegetation cover. Finally I managed to get as clear a view as was possible along the west path by placing my scope on the roof of my car. From here I could clearly see the nesting bird it was sitting high which was intriguing. The pair had been incubating for at least 4 weeks and as the birds are both 2nd summers I was thinking that perhaps they had laid infertile eggs as 25 days is the incubation period. However the sitting bird was fidgeting too often for it to be only on eggs, so I perservered. Eventually the sitting bird was joined by its mate and a brief changeover revealed what I was hoping for - a glimpse of a little ball of fluff . Wow!! Ironically I found the first Med Gull in October 1987, the day after the famous Michael Fish weather forecast. :t: John

Attachments

• 20170516_145522.jpg
    20170516_145522.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Amazing news with the Med Gulls.With my long weekend count now up to 66 birds there are still a few standard ones to get,also notice the mute swan on the moors looks like it has a damaged foot or leg.
pic 1 Chroicocephalus ridibundus brace yourself
pic 2 Fulica atra Island.
pic 3 Turdus merula castle.

Attachments

• IMG_5233.JPG
    IMG_5233.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5237.JPG
    IMG_5237.JPG
    498.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5240.JPG
    IMG_5240.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 81
From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

48 Avocet + 18 young (3:2:1:2:1:2:3:3:1, latest brood still sitting), 3 adult Mediterranean Gull, 5 LR Plover (+ 1 young), 2 Redshank

Egyptian Goose still at the Sailing Pool

No passage by the looks of things :-C

Last edited:
For Warden Information

Noted at the Flashes p.m.
After being told that there were two chicks in the large metal cage I was intrigued
Checked it out and there were indeed two chicks there BUT they were BHGs!!
Obviously they got in and may get out but when last noted were being fed from the outside by a parent. More concerned with being fed than finding way out.
Cage is large one on the left hand side.

They were out when I left Flashes at c12.30

We arrived at Flashes gate 12:30 when a lady new to the site asked about 2 chicks in left hand cage - we were puzzled!
Arrived at Avocet hide 12:45ish to see she was right and there were two well-grown BHG chicks inside. First photo timed 12:54.
We left around 15:00 - they were still inside and had been desultorily fed only once. Photo timed 14:44.
Entry point appears to be an easy get-in but not to get out as the wires are pointing inwards and downwards.
They looked as they were in for the night.

We arrived at Flashes gate 12:30 when a lady new to the site asked about 2 chicks in left hand cage - we were puzzled!
Arrived at Avocet hide 12:45ish to see she was right and there were two well-grown BHG chicks inside. First photo timed 12:54.
We left around 15:00 - they were still inside and had been desultorily fed only once. Photo timed 14:44.
Entry point appears to be an easy get-in but not to get out as the wires are pointing inwards and downwards.
They looked as they were in for the night.

Ah! In which case they can get out as they were in when I arrived at the Flashes and out just before I left the hide.

Some pictures today, from The Moors

My first view of the gadwall family made it a morning well spent.

I saw a couple of young rabbits on the west track by the concrete hide, and a fox ran across in front of the Jacobs hide, after the mallards. it didn't succeed.

Attachments

• gadwall-9531.jpg
    gadwall-9531.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 68
  • reed warbler-9438.jpg
    reed warbler-9438.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 66
  • reed warbler-9434.jpg
    reed warbler-9434.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 78
  • reed warbler-9431.jpg
    reed warbler-9431.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 71
I have assessed the situation of the two Black-headed Gulls trapped in the Little Ringed Plover cage at the Flashes and after discussing the matter with John we have decided not to intervene. We appreciate this is an emotive situation and a disturbing scene to witness so such a decision may not be popular with all therefore it's only fair that we set out our thought process.

In very close proximity to the cage and along the route from the access gate are a number of breeding Schedule 1 species - this includes a sitting LRP, an unfledged LRP chick, two fresh broods of Avocet (with adults still sitting on unhatched eggs) plus three Avocet on nests. Both are Schedule 1 species and it's a criminal offence to disturb them - John, Mike and myself are Schedule 1 holders but this is for the specific and express purpose of caging LRP nests; any deviation away from these actions could result in the withdrawal of the Schedule 1 licence. Each time we are faced with the circumstances to cage we carefully weigh up the pros and cons, including possible disturbance to birds already breeding. In this instance, with sitting adults and very young chicks in situ and thr large gulls having proved already very adept this year at picking off young, we consider the potential "collateral damage" to be too great. To give you an idea the most recent LRP to be caged - closer to the gate and actioned before a number of Avocet hatched / commenced sitting - took nearly 90 minutes to return - such a return time in the current circumstances could result in a high level of losses. Finally there is the sheer numbers game - the latest Rare Breeding Birds Panel report online (2013) noted only 545 pairs of LRP and just over 1,700 pairs of Avocet breeding in Britain compared with 130,000 pairs of BHG (including nearly 400 at Upton Warren alone).

If anyone is unhappy at this stance then please contact the Trust to see if they are willing to intervene although I would most strongly advise it's against the better interests of wider avifauna of the reserve.

Last edited:
Bird the reserve today.

MOORS:
GCG 3. Little grebe 8 min.
Shoveler pr. Teal male. gadwall 10 +6 chicks. Tufted 50+
Oystercatcher 5 + 2 chicks (2 days old).. Lapwing 4.
Common tern 12 (4 sitting). Med Gull 3 +2 chicks.
Peregrine. Buzzard 8.
Great spotted woodpecker 2. swift 150.
sand martin 10. swallow. house martin 30.
Sedge warbler 6. Reed warbler 20+ ( more than usual in North moors ). Cetti's 3 poss 4 singing. Blackcap at least 3 broods of young. chiffchaff 2 broods.
song thrush 3 singing. tits many broods of young all around the Moors. Greenfinch. bullfinch. goldfinch.
Reed bunting several broods.

FLASHES :
Shoveler 2. gadwall 4. Shelduck 4. tufted 25.
Avocet 48 (10. broods ) 22 chicks. Oystercatcher 2. lapwing 15 . LRP 5 +chick (19days). Redshank 2.
Common tern 2. Med Gull 2.
kestrel. Buzzard causing havoc. It is perching in oak tree then repeatedly gliding down over the meadow trying to drop on to the nest with 3 freshly hatched avocets. The buzzard was attacked by hundreds of birds including -gulls, avocet, lapwing & corvids.
sedge warbler 4. Reed warbler 4. Whitethroat. blackcap. chiffchaff. song thrush 2.
Reed bunting 5.

Caged BHGs

Phil
Thanks for taking the time to check out the trapped birds and make your informative and considered report. Just thought that you should be made aware of the situation.
Have no problems with your decision.
Phil E

Thanks for taking time to explain a difficult but well considered thought process - I believe this has resulted in the right conclusion.

I have assessed the situation of the two Black-headed Gulls trapped in the Little Ringed Plover cage at the Flashes and after discussing the matter with John we have decided not to intervene. We appreciate this is an emotive situation and a disturbing scene to witness so such a decision may not be popular with all therefore it's only fair that we set out our thought process.

In very close proximity to the cage and along the route from the access gate are a number of breeding Schedule 1 species - this includes a sitting LRP, an unfledged LRP chick, two fresh broods of Avocet (with adults still sitting on unhatched eggs) plus three Avocet on nests. Both are Schedule 1 species and it's a criminal offence to disturb them - John, Mike and myself are Schedule 1 holders but this is for the specific and express purpose of caging LRP nests; any deviation away from these actions could result in the withdrawal of the Schedule 1 licence. Each time we are faced with the circumstances to cage we carefully weigh up the pros and cons, including possible disturbance to birds already breeding. In this instance, with sitting adults and very young chicks in situ and thr large gulls having proved already very adept this year at picking off young, we consider the potential "collateral damage" to be too great. To give you an idea the most recent LRP to be caged - closer to the gate and actioned before a number of Avocet hatched / commenced sitting - took nearly 90 minutes to return - such a return time in the current circumstances could result in a high level of losses. Finally there is the sheer numbers game - the latest Rare Breeding Birds Panel report online (2013) noted only 545 pairs of LRP and just over 1,700 pairs of Avocet breeding in Britain compared with 130,000 pairs of BHG (including nearly 400 at Upton Warren alone).

If anyone is unhappy at this stance then please contact the Trust to see if they are willing to intervene although I would most strongly advise it's against the better interests of wider avifauna of the reserve.

Some pics from Saturday & Monday.

1. Let me in, it's cold out here!
2. That's my boy!
3. Changeover time.
4. Gadwall family

Attachments

• DSCN8987a.jpg
    DSCN8987a.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN9007a.jpg
    DSCN9007a.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN9253a.jpg
    DSCN9253a.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN9259a.jpg
    DSCN9259a.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 66
1. Elusive redshank (one of two)
2. Common tern
3. Sedge warbler
4. Reed warbler
5. Egyptian goose

Attachments

• DSCN9132a.jpg
    DSCN9132a.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN9156a.jpg
    DSCN9156a.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN9234a.jpg
    DSCN9234a.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN9273b.jpg
    DSCN9273b.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN9276a.jpg
    DSCN9276a.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 48
1. Swimming through lunch.
2. Are you looking at me? (from W hide!)
3. Gadwall pair.
4. Flashes penguin colony! (wet and windy)

Attachments

• DSCN9184a.jpg
    DSCN9184a.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN9203a.jpg
    DSCN9203a.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN9251a.jpg
    DSCN9251a.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN9309a.jpg
    DSCN9309a.jpg
    905.9 KB · Views: 93
Gull chicks

I can't remember the last time I posted it's so long ago,but the decision to leave the trapped Gull chicks has driven me to do so.
If I understand the reasoning behind the decision correctly, it is feared that, if someone goes out to the cage to release the chicks, too much disturbance will be caused to nearby nesting LRP's and Avocets. Surely not!
Was it last year or the year before that Herefords roamed the same area of ground whilst LRP's sat on their nests in the cages and Avocet nests littered the same part of the flashes. When I asked the question "won't the cows disturb the nesting birds", the answer was " not very likely". When two LRP's abandoned their nests the answer was still the same.
There is a massive difference between half a dozen cows wandering around at will and one human being picking his time to approach the cage and release the birds. To not do so is outright cruelty. Come on men; let's, at least, be consistant!

I can't remember the last time I posted it's so long ago,but the decision to leave the trapped Gull chicks has driven me to do so.
If I understand the reasoning behind the decision correctly, it is feared that, if someone goes out to the cage to release the chicks, too much disturbance will be caused to nearby nesting LRP's and Avocets. Surely not!
Was it last year or the year before that Herefords roamed the same area of ground whilst LRP's sat on their nests in the cages and Avocet nests littered the same part of the flashes. When I asked the question "won't the cows disturb the nesting birds", the answer was " not very likely". When two LRP's abandoned their nests the answer was still the same.
There is a massive difference between half a dozen cows wandering around at will and one human being picking his time to approach the cage and release the birds. To not do so is outright cruelty. Come on men; let's, at least, be consistant!
Most wildlife views man as a threat, whereas cattle are viewed as a possible danger, but not an immediate threat. The cattle are in the background all the time and are largely ignored while a person walking out there would cause immediate panic. The decision is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back