• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was your 19th Corvid on your life list? (1 Viewer)

Not sure of the exact order, but here's a list:

Carrion Crow
Rook
Pied Crow
Jackdaw
Magpie
Jay
Raven
Chough
Nutcracker
Fan-tailed Raven
Brown-necked Raven
Alpine Chough
Hooded Crow
Iberian Magpie
American Crow
Cuban Crow
House Crow
Large-billed Crow
19 ish Steller's Jay
Blue Jay
Grey Jay
Clark's Nutcracker
Piapiac
Australian Magpie
Brown Jay
White-throated Magpie Jay
Azure-winged Magpie
Collared Crow
Little Raven
Australian Raven
Torresian Crow
White-necked Raven

Last edited:
I'm on 67 corvids currently counted as species (+ 18 potential splits)
19th corvid: Fish Crow
19th Corvus: Pied Crow

If it wasn't for Covid-19 I'd be on 68 and 19 now.

Looks like there are 17 corvidae on the WP list, which have seen, but have only seen about 5 or 6 in the US (out of 21 IOC), and I'm going to be hazy about which I might have seen, I guess I could check ranges and see if I ticked any in the back of the old Nat Geo guide.

So no idea!

Looks like there are 17 corvidae on the WP list, which have seen, but have only seen about 5 or 6 in the US (out of 21 IOC), and I'm going to be hazy about which I might have seen, I guess I could check ranges and see if I ticked any in the back of the old Nat Geo guide.

So no idea!

This reminds me of the weird experience when we (after a lot of searching) found a flock of Siberian Jays in Ovre Pasvik and that meant we are done with corvids in Collins. It was probably not the first family we "closed" and neither have we seen all corvids in the WP (Pied Crow at least is missing), but it was a significant moment anyway.

This reminds me of the weird experience when we (after a lot of searching) found a flock of Siberian Jays in Ovre Pasvik and that meant we are done with corvids in Collins. It was probably not the first family we "closed" and neither have we seen all corvids in the WP (Pied Crow at least is missing), but it was a significant moment anyway.

I see another thread coming on ... I remember going through the old Collins (Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow) in the distant past and seeing how many double pages I'd completed (wasn't that many - there was always some random and seemingly unneccesary or unattainable rarity on a page)!

Last edited:
I see another thread coming on ... I remember going through the old Collins (Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow) in the distant past and seeing how many double pages I'd completed (wasn't that many - there was always some random and seemingly unneccesary or unattainable rarity on a page)!

We were considering just cutting pages that are done from both sited from Collins, but then we realized we don't even haul it around that much anymore... and that it will probably happen in not too distant future without our explicit activity, as the book is not in a very good shape :) But yeah, there is something special to ticking the last bird on a page!

We were considering just cutting pages that are done from both sited from Collins, but then we realized we don't even haul it around that much anymore... and that it will probably happen in not too distant future without our explicit activity, as the book is not in a very good shape :) But yeah, there is something special to ticking the last bird on a page!

A friend joked that he was doing that with the Skinner Guide to Macro Moths - quite challenging to get a full plate - and the person he was talking to took him seriously and got really quite upset!

B :)

I'll work out my Corvids later. I might or might not get to 19!

All the best

That is a fantastic and humorous twist on the situation - great OP!!

Raven
Carrion Crow
Hooded Crow
Rook
Jay
Brown-necked Raven
Fan-tailed Raven
House Crow
American Crow
North-western Crow
Blue Jay
Grey Jay
Steller's Jay

Unlucky Corvid 13 for me.

31 Corvidae in total according to Scythebill, and #19 I think was Canada Jay, from a trip to Michigan & Ontario in 1987.

Only got 12 Corvus, not counting Western Jackdaw but including Northwestern Crow still.

Latest addition to my Corvid list was Black-chested Jay; last Corvus was Collared Crow.

I'm on 74 Corvidae, including 27 Corvus (-1 when Northwestern crow gets the chop)

I think my #19 Corvus would have been either Brown-necked or Fan-tailed Raven, but I don't think there is an easy way to work it out in Scythebill. Favourite has to have been New Caledonia Crow carrying around it's little stick!

A friend joked that he was doing that with the Skinner Guide to Macro Moths - quite challenging to get a full plate - and the person he was talking to took him seriously and got really quite upset!

Aww. All those variations ... to get every one would be some challenge indeed ;)

Would find that difficult myself. Left my Skinner in the old Citreon AX when it failed the MoT. Left the Citreon in a field. When I came back to it a year or two later it had got so damp (sunroofs - pah!) that it was more of a field guide to mycelia. Unfortunately.

Aww. All those variations ... to get every one would be some challenge indeed ;)

Would find that difficult myself. Left my Skinner in the old Citreon AX when it failed the MoT. Left the Citreon in a field. When I came back to it a year or two later it had got so damp (sunroofs - pah!) that it was more of a field guide to mycelia. Unfortunately.

Citroen ;)

I'm on 74 Corvidae, including 27 Corvus (-1 when Northwestern crow gets the chop)

I think my #19 Corvus would have been either Brown-necked or Fan-tailed Raven, but I don't think there is an easy way to work it out in Scythebill. Favourite has to have been New Caledonia Crow carrying around it's little stick!

Definitely one for my bucket list (along with Kagu of course...)

My 19th corvid was Racket-tailed Treepie in Thailand in 1983.

My most recent one - number 117 (out of 134 in the world) was Florida Scrub Jay in February this year.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back