• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledglings in area (1 Viewer)

Nobby27

Hello,

This year I had blue tits in my nest box as I have done for last 10 years but could not see them fledge as box is on side of the house in a quiet area. Shortly before they fledged, I put some feeders in my garden and had about a week of watching the 8 fledglings devour the sunflowers hearts and suet balls.
Now they seem to have disburse, and I only see the odd blue tit on the feeders,
My question is how long do the fledglings stay with the parents and do they stay in the local area or go off to find their own territories?

I appoligise if this post is in the wrong area.

Hi Nobby

I think what happens here is that the parents bring the fledglings to my feeders (I've some on the window) and feed them for a few days, until they're feeding independently and can fly more strongly.

Then I seem to lose track of them, maybe only seeing an odd 1 or 2 youngsters for a week or more (then the yellow washed feathers moult out and they look like adults). So I wonder if any males from the nest disperse while the females are allowed to hang around?

It's quite likely that the youngsters go to join in with mixed species flocks (tits and finches perhaps) for feeding and security.

But this is pure guess-work, and I'd be interested to hear what other people think

As a follow-up question, do the parents maintain their territory after the young fledge, or do they join up with flocks as well?

Oh goodness.... thought you knew more than me lad;)

I have Blue Tits come to my window feeder throughout the year, apart from a few weeks when they disappear in Spring (as do the Coal Tits), only to return again when I see the youngsters (don't know where they nest).

All year (basically) I have Blue Tits and Coal Tits, along with Chaffinches. Not sure, but I think they all join up and do a regular feeding route, with me included in it. They seem to know what time the feeders are replenished.

In the Autumn I sometimes get Great Tit, Bullfinch, Siskin and Goldfinch, which may hang around for a week or two, or just one day. Whether they come with the Tits and Chaffinches too, I've not been able to establish.

This winter I had a Great Tit in early March and he was still visiting through the first week of Lockdown, which was nice.

Elsewhere I've seen Long-tailed Tits and Treecreepers in these flocks. They just seem to circle Kinnordy Loch on a daily basis. Time it right and you can get them all at the feeding station.

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Barely seen anything on the feeders last 2 or 3 days as weather has been so awful and the shear number of magpies loitering has scared everything off!

I have Blue Tits come to my window feeder throughout the year, apart from a few weeks when they disappear in Spring (as do the Coal Tits), only to return again when I see the youngsters (don't know where they nest).
Interesting observations. It would seem logical that the parents switch behaviour as soon as the young are no longer dependent on being fed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back