• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

These Photos Are Rubbish :viewer discretion advised: (1 Viewer)

Hi all

I didn't know where to put this thread so opted for here but please move if inappropriate.

I wanted to start a thread where members can post photographs of the blight of rubbish, waste and pollution on our birds especially when the juxtaposition of a beautiful bird in its natural habitat is contrasted by this pollution.

I understand that a lot of members will have taken an awful lot of photos and will have obviously cropped out any pollution, or, understandably, just made sure not to include pollution in their photographs because they are trying to take a nice photo of a nice bird, but if you do have any - or will now make sure to include photographs that do show pollution - then please post them here.

Please don't post photographs from Google or by other photographers because, as well as copyright issues, I just want this thread to highlight how pollution affects our forum members in their everyday lives.

I'll start with 3 from my collection.

Attachments

• coot.jpg
    coot.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 271
  • moorhen.jpg
    moorhen.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 259
  • grey heron.jpg
    grey heron.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 287
How about this poor Goosander with a ring round it's lower bill? :eek!: :eek!:

Attachments

• Goosander Female with Ring f.jpg
    Goosander Female with Ring f.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 285
This GBB Gull barely has a leg to stand on - one gone already, the other twined up with fishing line and soon to go :-C

River Tyne just west of Newcastle city centre, Northumbs., July 2015

Attachments

• Picture 322lo.jpg
    Picture 322lo.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 262
Kittiwake killed by anti-bird nesting spikes. Guildhall, Newcastle, May 2016 :-C :-C

Attachments

• IMG_9725lo.jpg
    IMG_9725lo.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 288
I think the unpleasant nature of some of the shots may require an advisory in the subject line.

Nutty, whilst unattractive, anti pigeon spikes aren't really within the theme are they?

A

I have edited the thread title, shouldn't be a problem now, for the record although disturbing I think attention to mans daily destruction of wildlife is newsworthy.

My opinion only!

Good point editing the title as I wouldn't want anyone to be offended or shocked sorry, but in saying that I'm always shocked by the blatant disregard for nature be it a multi-national company emptying waste into rivers to plastic pollution to a moron who throws their rubbish out of their car window.

I think we're all on the same side here :t:

Here's another one of my own. A beautiful Meadow Pipit looking for food amongst the litter and detritus - and this is at a local 'beauty' spot for families and nature 'Crosby Marina'.

Attachments

• meadow pipit.jpg
    meadow pipit.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 261
I generally just don't take these kinds of photos (because they are disheartening), but I do have one because the bird is a near-threatened species locally and often tough to photograph at all: the Ridgway's Rail (via my gallery).

This is at the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline (Arrowhead Marsh), which is a protected space where they have set-up nesting pens to reduce predation of the rail nests.

But that doesn't keep out the garbage.

This is, unfortunately, very common with all natural spaces in the San Francisco Bay Area. You really have to get out into the middle of absolute nowhere to avoid trash and pollution anymore. It's one of the reasons going for a walk around my neighborhood bothered me...you can't walk 2 feet without easily seeing dozens of pieces of micro-garbage.

It's just so sickening about the laziness and uncaringness of humans when they just toss their garbage.

A couple of positive things here recently. The first one is the campaign by restaurants to stop using plastic straws and the second one to pass a law banning plastic bags. If both carry through then there should be a reduction in garbage.

A couple of positive things here recently. The first one is the campaign by restaurants to stop using plastic straws and the second one to pass a law banning plastic bags. If both carry through then there should be a reduction in garbage.
Most of the garbage I see is neither of those, but every little bit helps. Especially with the whole micro-garbage thing.

Banning candy wrappers and snack chip bags would have a bigger visual impact. |;|

The irony is that because I no longer have free plastic grocery bags (they banned them locally years ago), I have to buy a box of plastic garbage bags at the store. Not sure where the net win was there since I was already "recycling" and the plastic in this case is all but a mandatory part of the household garbage process. *shrug*

It's all very well the developed World taking these initiatives but the undeveloped World produces masses of garbage that just goes in to the sea without a second thought.

I've watched in horror as deck top garbage bins have just been tipped over the side on inter Island ferries.

In Kuta, Bali, Indonesia, you'll have plastic bags and other crap, clinging to your legs as you stand in the water.
The locals blame it on Java but who knows.

It's so bad that periodically, a beach cop will come along and blow a whistle, this is the cue for the beach vendors to descend to the tide line and start collecting garbage. The collected piles will then be moved by a JCB which takes them to a massive dump at the end of the beach but it is quite simply, a never ending task.

Until the undeveloped World start to make serious changes, I'm afraid that we in the developed World are wasting our time.

A

Last edited:
Did a previous government in the UK make a better pledge?

I'm not saying it's not a worthy aim, I'm saying that what we dump in to the oceans, is by comparison tiny.

Until the really big Ocean polluters have an attitude change, all we have is is a token gesture.

It's good that we're leading the way but more has to be done elsewhere in terms of pressure to stop the dumping otherwise our efforts are just wasted.

A

India plans to ban all single-use plastic by 2022:
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...single-use-plastic-by-2022-vows-narendra-modi

That's well ahead of Theresa May's pathetic response to do the same by 2042.

The production of single use items is only one aspect of the problem, it's what's done with them after use, this is my point. Landfill is one thing but 'Oceanfill' is another and that what we have in parts of the World.

Communities all over the undeveloped World, simply dump stuff in to the sea, how do we stop this? The only solution is to ban ALL non bio degradable packaging?

A

I'm not saying it's not a worthy aim, I'm saying that what we dump in to the oceans, is by comparison tiny.

Until the really big Ocean polluters have an attitude change, all we have is is a token gesture.

It wasn't a reply to your comment, more to Nutcracker's usual labelling of everything as the fault of the current government - UK does need to do more, but it is not exactly "Theresa May's pathetic response", but more a general lack of action of any government in the UK, past or present.

It wasn't a reply to your comment, more to Nutcracker's usual labelling of everything as the fault of the current government - UK does need to do more, but it is not exactly "Theresa May's pathetic response", but more a general lack of action of any government in the UK, past or present.
Agree with you there - previous UK govts have been even more pathetic. But this is more a case of comparison with what measures others are proposing at the same time, i.e., now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back