• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

These Photos Are Rubbish :viewer discretion advised: (1 Viewer)

I think that this thread should be split. The original poster wanted pictures and I unintentionally seemed to have changed the direction of the thread. he debate on garbage is a good one but should have its own thread.

A classic juxtaposition from 1989 of a bird that will have been seen by many on this forum. (Digital image of an old photo.)

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 1989 05 18 Baillon's Crake.JPG
    1989 05 18 Baillon's Crake.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 173
I don't know whether this image is a truly sad one - especially as there's more rubbish by the chicks - or the Coot is actually making use of all the rubbish and recycling it!

Attachments

• coot-nest.jpg
    coot-nest.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 150
Non-reusable plastic bottles must be banned.

Perhaps not obvious on Prince Edward Island, but plastic bottles keep most of warm countries from diarrhea epidemies. I do re-use my plastic bottle which travels for thousands of kms with me, but this is not the best solution.

If somebody develops a reusable and anti-bacterial water bottle might get a Nobel Prize for environmental protection. Maybe a sort of a plastic water bag which can be easily turned inside-out and washed?

An in the meantime, by all means, campaign to put free, safe water sprinklers near water bodies.

Last edited:
I was just going through some photos I took the other week and came across this one of a Skylark.

I knew it was foraging but I didn't realise exactly what was going on!

Obviously the poor chap was perplexed at whether to attempt to eat it, strip the husk or have a peck at it!

Luckily it did none of the above.

Quite a sad picture isn't it |=(|

Attachments

• skylark.jpg
    skylark.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 161
Richie you should be congratulated for starting this thread. It is a problem that we are (or should be) all aware of but sometimes it takes someone to stand up and make us all think a little closer to home. Sometimes when birding we are focused on the birds and it is easy to miss the bigger picture of what is happening to our planet. It is depressing to realise that some of these pictures are taken at managed reserves and beauty spots too.

Cheers Paul - very kind of you to say that.

It just saddens my heart when I come across these scenarios and I feel that I want people to see the mess human beings have made of this beautiful world whilst our animals go about their everyday lives of foraging and feeding their young and themselves surrounded by this mess.

The animals haven't caused this problem - they have to deal with it and unfortunately die of it too.

So everytime I come encounter a bird (in this forum's case) living in awful (to us - the animal knows no difference) conditions then I will upload them here hoping to show that not all birds live a life of clear water, litter-free and plastic-free environments, which are the photos we would rather take and share on social media platforms.

:t:

coot with rubbish in nest plus 2 discarded turtles taken at keptie pond arbroath

Attachments

• coot.jpg
    coot.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 100
Lovely day down at the Leeds/Liverpool canal today.

Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail with Buzzard, Sprawk and Kestrel overhead.

The ubiquitous Coot, Moorhen and Mallard - and, of course, the human touch too...

Attachments

• moorhen.jpg
    moorhen.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 92
  • ducksand aerosol.jpg
    ducksand aerosol.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back