• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding/Twitching and Global warming (2 Viewers)

but did you also listen to Dangerous, Up the ladder to the roof, Under the bridge, "OK, Comm(p)uter", the Beat, and Complete Madness. or was I completely wasting my time there!:)

I got a song by Britney Spears called Dangerous and decided I wasn't prepared to carry on playing musical Russian Roulette.... o:D

It's an inevitable consequence of a police force that seems to be under orders to tolerate disruption of ordinary working peoples' lives by trustafarian art students, unemployable crusties and retired geography teachers. The more this goes on, the more incidents of this nature will happen.

XR has sod all to do with climate change.

Have you ever considered working for the Daily Mail?

Part of my motivation for starting this thread was a decision which Anna Magdalena and I took to try not use air travel any more. Virtuously, we booked a holiday on the Scillies rather than our usual annual fortnight in Spain.

But then I remembered the Scillonian voyages back in the 80s when seasickness blighted the passage. (Damp flannels make me feel queasy.)
So I hid behind an Anti-Principle Quantum Fustulator and booked Skybus.

On the day of both outward and return journeys, Skybus was cancelled, so we had to take the Sik-lonian.

Hubris, tempered by virtuosity and mal-de-mer.

Peter :smoke:

Ginger, whether in its raw form, as a biscuit, or as a sweet (i.e. candy) is highly recommended for calming the stomach and keeping mal-de-mer at bay. I use it all the time and have always managed to keep my breakfast down while all around are losing theirs.

The word used by economists is externalities. Ecotourism produces so much positive externalities. Habitat is protected, local people get richer. And experiencing other countries and cultures is the best way to forster global peace. Somebody who travelled to Israel or Iran is less inclined to believe that Jews/Muslims are vile people meaning harm to everybody.

decision which Anna Magdalena and I took to try not use air travel any more. Virtuously, we booked a holiday on the Scillies rather than our usual annual fortnight in Spain.

If you lived in, for example, China, a distance similar to England to Southern Spain could be covered in few hours by a high-speed train. But Britain has very little organizational, monetary nor social abilities to build new infrastructure. So alternative to spending carbon is pretty much staying close to home all your life.

This shows how reducing carbon footprint turns to an excuse of European governments to higher taxes and not giving much carbon-less alternatives.

The word used by economists is externalities. Ecotourism produces so much positive externalities. Habitat is protected, local people get richer. And experiencing other countries and cultures is the best way to forster global peace. Somebody who travelled to Israel or Iran is less inclined to believe that Jews/Muslims are vile people meaning harm to everybody.

I get this Jurek - and it would make sense in a world where global warming was a distant threat.

But global warming isn't distant. There's evidence of a crisis all around us: extreme climate events in Australia and Europe; glaciers and ice-caps at their lowest level; and climate deniers in the White House and other capital cities.

We ALL must take action before this fragile planet reacts and destroys a huge amount of habitable land - and all the creatures which live there.

Ecotourism is one small thing which we can control - because photographs and videos are (almost) perfect representations of the real thing. The internet has it all.

Don't fly when you can surf!

Peter :-C

Peter

I get this Jurek - and it would make sense in a world where global warming was a distant threat.

But global warming isn't distant. There's evidence of a crisis all around us: extreme climate events in Australia and Europe; glaciers and ice-caps at their lowest level; and climate deniers in the White House and other capital cities.

We ALL must take action before this fragile planet reacts and destroys a huge amount of habitable land - and all the creatures which live there.

Ecotourism is one small thing which we can control - because photographs and videos are (almost) perfect representations of the real thing. The internet has it all.

Don't fly when you can surf!

Peter :-C

Peter

I'm sure others than I can see the danger here: how many photos are enough? And how do you know old ones aren't being recycled while the animals (no longer needed) have been extinguished....

The only guarantee of conservation persistence is human involvement. It's surely no coincidence that on another thread some are recommending a boycott of Malta (no flying) while others insist that both to provide weight to the argument and to support those already fighting, birders should fly to Malta and attend the anti-shooting camps.....

So eco-tourist travel has to be rated higher relative to Costa Blanca chav toasting and business travel that could be conducted by skype (sorry conference birding Mike!)

John

I'm sure others than I can see the danger here: how many photos are enough? And how do you know old ones aren't being recycled while the animals (no longer needed) have been extinguished....

The only guarantee of conservation persistence is human involvement. It's surely no coincidence that on another thread some are recommending a boycott of Malta (no flying) while others insist that both to provide weight to the argument and to support those already fighting, birders should fly to Malta and attend the anti-shooting camps.....

So eco-tourist travel has to be rated higher relative to Costa Blanca chav toasting and business travel that could be conducted by skype (sorry conference birding Mike!)

John

That's all sensible, on here. And I'm sure most on here would agree. What worries me is that the power and influence in the world isn't Conservationists, or even Governments. There is a rising power of global conglomerates who are becoming so huge, nothing will be able to touch them.

You can tell they are so big, because the Brexit argument that has dominated the UK for 3 years doesn't even register with them. They adjust and make bigger profits no matter what is happening at country level.

How long before these Companies are bigger than most countries, or Amazon ltd. literally buys the Amazon.

If they aren't paying tax, then they aren't going to worry about preserving habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back