• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Human Planet - Part 1/8 - BBC1 Thurs 20.00pm - 21.00pm on Jan 13/1/2011 (1 Viewer)

I missed the beginning and started watching part-way through. Beautiful photography.

However a really interesting topic ruined for me by an imbecilic script. They speak to us as if we're children and they attempt to inject mysticism into everything. Peak-time television with a daytime telly voice-over.

I've given up after 15 minutes in disgust.

Can't they write documentaries for adults any more?

What they could have done, since they're dealing with people, is leave the narration out and just go with what the people on screen are saying, even if that meant going with more subtitles.

The documentary For All Mankind was based on the videos and recordings of the NASA Apollo scientists and astronauts, with no voiceover at all and it worked very well. All it needs is really good editing to make it fit together seamlessly.

I got myself Life on Earth recently. I had seen bits of it over the years, but hadn't seen a whole episode. I was blown away by how outstanding it is.

There are a few factual aspects to it that have been updated since it was made, but that is one series which treats its subject seriously. I was surprised to see the programme introduce such things as DNA structure, and use electron micrographs to illustrate features at a smaller level, you don't get that level of detail in many programmes nowadays.

I'm only three episodes in but already can see why it's hailed as a benchmark in wildlife filmmaking - in actual fact, it's less about the photography (which is such a huge part of modern films) and more about conveying information.

Just to add - the content of the programme was really interesting. Seeing how people live around the world is always fascinating, but even after one programme, it's already clear to see how much of an impact modern industrial society is having on even the remotest communities around the world - I guess we'll see this theme continue through the series.

I will buck the trend by saying it was a wonderful programme and that I can not see BBC matching this standard for the rest of the series as the ocean is a mighty medium to surpass in terms of power, influence and aesthetics.

I think they got it spot on with this one and I hope the rest proves as good.

An interesting and captivating programme. I didn't let the narration [I've heard alot worse] distract me from some great filming. That surfing scene was breathtaking.

Si.

Best programme in the series to date last night. A fascinating look at Inuit life in the Arctic. What hardy souls.
Now I know that fermented little auk tastes of Gorgonzola cheese I wouldn't mind a taste of these little critters.........but there again after being fermented for months in the belly of a caribou carcass, maybe not. Can't see Jamie Oliver and other fancy Dan TV chefs trying this delicacy out!

Si.

Particularly enjoyed last night's episode on Mountains. I could hardly bear to watch the eagle and fox, how on earth did it manage to avoid being bitten in the second sequence!
When our cemetaries are full, will Gigrin Farm change their food suppliers?!

I'm with Anrdew, teh few I have seen have been brilliant. I haven't all of them, but the one thing that strikes me in each programme I have seen is the harmony in which these native tribes exist within the landscape they inhabit. They take only what they need - literally in some cases, just enough to survive. I find their efforts to take what they need staggering at times, but in the scheme of things they probably spend less time than wild animals foraging for what they need.

I watched it for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. They seemed to have a good attitude towards the Golden Eagles. When it looked as if the new one might not be up to the grade, there was no talk of killing it - just releasing it and finding a new one to train. Good to hear that they release them anyway after 7 years. The battle between the fox and the eagle was awesome. I thought the sky burial item was handled well too - tasteful but still mesmerizing. I didn't like the look of those Fruit Bats as a meal, though.

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back