• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (3 Viewers)

Well done Dad! - That's an object of real beauty (must've been a bugger to get the back-end right - and how cunningly weighted to get the exact buoyancy) - Superb.
Huge congrats on the owl scenario - both the live-ins and the image. Great work, all round.
And - couldn't be Sir PS at all?
Spill 'em.

Dunno Ed, back in the '70s I was still finger painting....!!!:-O;)

I'd just about emerged from the finger painting stage by then, but seem to be returning to it. As midlife crises go, its proving quite fun!

P Scott was a prime candidate, but in fact the Pintail are originally by that Tunnicliffe himself.

What a great little link between past and present bird art!

That Grebe piece is a wonder, what a lovely piece it is, superbly done. Hats off to Keeble snr.!

Here's a work-in progress whilst I decide where if anywhere to head next with it. I'm determined to get something worthwhile from July's Spotted Redshanks and nothing qualifies yet...

Originally done last week and this week have hit it with the sander and tried again.

Next question if I continue with it is where the birds go this time- hopefully I've left enough room for them to move into the front pool, although after that Kingswood link on another thread recently, tempting to plonk them back in at top left.

Then there's the problem of how to render wader beaks and legs when painting in the broad brush stylie- that I'm musing on too.

Attachments

• old600DSC_0005 copy.jpg
    old600DSC_0005 copy.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 88
  • latestDSC_0026 copy.jpg
    latestDSC_0026 copy.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 82
Oooh - what yer moved 'em for?
Actually, I think just the slightest tweak to the right-hand bird (as it was!;) ) and you've got another cracker here, Ed. What I'd propose is to have that (r-h bird) have its head coming back against the movement of its body - in other words, facing front right, picking a morsel from that area of the painting.
And - regarding 'detail - broadbrush' - I'm taking the huge liberty of posting this by John Threlfall (I still don't know how he does it, but your work has many of the qualities I admire in his).
For the un-initiated, John's site is: http://www.johnthrelfall.co.uk

Attachments

• AlbuferaStiltsSm.jpg
    AlbuferaStiltsSm.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 82
Oooh - what yer moved 'em for?
Actually, I think just the slightest tweak to the right-hand bird (as it was!;) ) and you've got another cracker here, Ed. What I'd propose is to have that (r-h bird) have its head coming back against the movement of its body - in other words, facing front right, picking a morsel from that area of the painting.
And - regarding 'detail - broadbrush' - I'm taking the huge liberty of posting this by John Threlfall (I still don't know how he does it, but your work has many of the qualities I admire in his).
For the un-initiated, John's site is: http://www.johnthrelfall.co.uk

Alrighty- they will be reinstated with a twist. I do admire Threlfall's work, although if you get the book, brace yourself for the poetry.

Meantimes in case of interest here's a pencil of a favourite beast from July. My knowledge of antelope anatomy pretty much stops at leg on each corner and horns on top, so I have forgiven myself for use of a reference photo of the beast once the background was done.

Attachments

• 600kudu copy.jpg
    600kudu copy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 85
Alrighty- they will be reinstated with a twist. I do admire Threlfall's work, although if you get the book, brace yourself for the poetry.

Meantimes in case of interest here's a pencil of a favourite beast from July. My knowledge of antelope anatomy pretty much stops at leg on each corner and horns on top, so I have forgiven myself for use of a reference photo of the beast once the background was done.

That's a greater kudu, right? It looks great.

Thanks to Tim for the John Threlfall link; inspiring stuff.

Wait, let me correct myself, I think it's a Nyala now. It looks good regardless of what species it is!

Last edited:
Unexpected update on the kudu- got an e-mail overnight to say that it or another large male was taken out last week by a crocdile leaping clean out of the water in the exact same spot . Now that would have been a sight to see. Anyway, the sketch is now officially in memoriam..

But all that of course no match for the visual excitement of Spotreds on sparkly mud. Next step has been a quick marker pen rough of some birds, scanned and pasted in to see how they look if I stick with the original tactic of playing them out wide on the left, rather than through central midfield.

Not decided yet whether to go with two birds or three and I need to get the bill of the front bird clear of the reflection of the rear bird. But hopefully will paint them in over the w/e.

Attachments

• spotreds copy.jpg
    spotreds copy.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 82
  • latestDSC_0026 copy copy.jpg
    latestDSC_0026 copy copy.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 86
Brilliant sketch. This is going to work perfectly. Regarding reflection and the nearest bird's bill, if you were to move the central bird back, say 3feet (proportionately in the landscape), this would effectively lift the reflection out of harms way. May look okay - that's for you to decide. Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

I like the tight group of three birds. I think the reflection of the beak on the lower bird allows the eye to make enough sense of it even with the actual beak against the reflection of the bird above (if that makes any sense at all!).

Whatever you decide it looks like it's going to be a cracker.

Can hardly wait for the final result! The past on looks brilliant! (Such a wonderful little sketch of the birds, less IS more!)

Elina

Blimey! Can't a bloke get away for a week without missing something great? Love that barn owl, it's so right. Definately stick with the three birds, the third bird adds so much to the dynamics of the group. Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

Mike

Hello all. Progress over the w/e with the Spot Reds

1. revise the marker pen sketch as per Tim's suggestion

2. transferred them to the canvas.

I've taken them across slightly bigger than I intended, but in the underlying painting you can't tell how far away the rear water is supposed to be, so they are OK I think.

Colourwise some raw blue has crept into the birds which doesn't feature elsewere, which is troubling me slightly..

Plus it is tempting (and would be accurate) to put a little orangey red at the base of the bill, but when I started out on this one I resolved to use only 4 colours and I have resolutely stuck to that.

Attachments

• spotreds copy.jpg
    spotreds copy.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0042 copy.jpg
    DSC_0042 copy.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back