• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Y'all reet or 'hello' to non Geordies (1 Viewer)

Geordie Amanda

The ostritch of the North
Hello, my name is Amanda and I was recommended the site from john999boy on a site called Briskoda. I don't think I will be too regular a poster as I am not really a bird photographer (yet :) ) but I do love photography and enjoy seeing what others can do and gain tips from them.

I currently have a Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8II (I am also skint), Canon 17-55mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4 and an older Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which lives on my older Canon 40D. I mostly take more of a candid type of shot and also a bit of sports, but I love the outdoors and am a keen cyclist and walk a lot up in Northumberland in the UK.

Hi Amanda and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello ;)

Hi Amanda and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I'll look forward to hearing all your news and will hopefully see some of your pictures too.

D

I am hoping to find out a bit more about identifying bird calls and songs. I hear the same songs all the time and yet shamefully, I can't identify them. I don't include Cuckoos and geese in this :D

Thanks again :)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

I am hoping to find out a bit more about identifying bird calls and songs. I hear the same songs all the time and yet shamefully, I can't identify them. I don't include Cuckoos and geese in this :D

Thanks again :)

Yareet hinny.

Try this site: Xeno-Canto.

Learn a few simple ones first, that you hear often, then you can 'filter out' these and not have to stop and identify them visually every time (unless you like looking at them anyway!) Remember their calls and alarm calls can be more often heard, aswell as songs. Good Luck

Gan Canny.:t:

Richard

Thanks Kits and also a big thanks for the info Richard, sounds like a canny site :) Hopefully I will learn to tell my Robins from my Spuggies :D (I d know them by sight just in case people were wondering).

There is one call that has bugged me for years and it is a simple call that goes "Doo-we Doo-we" repeatedly and then there is an answering call of "Peep Peep" from another bird. Hopefully I will find it on your site Richard :)

Way-ay Hinney, y'ahl reet then. Welcome to Birdforum.

Chris

p.s I think we should do a certain amount of posts indialect - just to mess with peoples heads ;)

c

Thanks Kits and also a big thanks for the info Richard, sounds like a canny site :) Hopefully I will learn to tell my Robins from my Spuggies :D (I d know them by sight just in case people were wondering).

There is one call that has bugged me for years and it is a simple call that goes "Doo-we Doo-we" repeatedly and then there is an answering call of "Peep Peep" from another bird. Hopefully I will find it on your site Richard :)

Try Great Tit, probably song A, but it has many.;)

Ha harr (she says in a thigh slapping Errol Flynn kind of way), By jove I think she's got it!" After listening to about 150 Great Tit songs on your recommended site, there is one of a pair singing to each other. First my Doo-we call (except the Swedish bird goes We-doo) and then the answer call of peep peep. I always guessed that this was a couple and possibly to do with mating as it is prevalent during spring. Perhaps there is something preprogrammed into our ancient brain that recognises this? Anyhoo, thanks for a great link and for confusing me with the infinite set of calls available in just me own garden! :D

As fa dialect, whey ah rekon it's a canny noshun to taak aboot bords like wur deein' :)

Last edited:
Hey Amanda,

Welcome to Birdforum. For more general photographic subjects you could also take a look at Birdforums sister site World Photography Forum :t:

To add further confusion to your bird call ID, try checking out a Willow Warbler's call; a bird that visits the UK in spring/summer from Africa! ;)

I like the Willow Warbler's call Tracker, it's quite tpretty, but the one I hear is less delicate and more straight forward (if that makes sense).I am pretty sure it is the Great Tit from what I have heard on the Xeno site. Thanks for the link

I like the Willow Warbler's call Tracker, it's quite tpretty, but the one I hear is less delicate and more straight forward (if that makes sense).I am pretty sure it is the Great Tit from what I have heard on the Xeno site. Thanks for the link

Yes, I find the Willow Warbler call to be very soothing. :)

Have fun becoming more familiar with all these new sounds! They really do open up a new world when out in the country; or anywhere, for that matter! :)

Best wishes,

Went out for a killer bike ride today (headwind was truly awful here in the UK). Anyway to cut a long story short, I heard the Great Tits calling to each other. Result! One down. a few thousand to go :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back