• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Closeout spotter for $39.99! (2 Viewers)

Bill,

Very nice adapter! I was wondering about using Astro eyepieces with this scope since it appears to use the same zoom as the Theron Optics Saker....and I know there was some limited success with using some "flat field" eyepieces on that scope.

Just out of curiosity, how much for one of those adapters?

Frank,
Thanks for the kind words. Sorry that I'm not able to do production work on these adapters for sale in a timely fashion. My lathe is an old South Bend and can only cut metric threading using added transposing gears. Unfortunately, that means the thread dial indicator will not work and I have to leave the half nuts engaged and wind the bit back after each threading pass by reversing the motor. It's a pretty slow process for me. Any local machine shop that has a metric lathe should be able to turn out an adapter for you. The stock I started with was a thick wall tube of 6061 aluminum with 2" OD and 1" ID. A 2" solid rod would work, too.

It is a cruel fact that the little scopes were available in the USA - where metric "home shop" lathes are rare and the scopes were NOT available for low cost in other countries where metric lathes must be common. - Bill

Brunton tripod

Bruce,,Botach has them for $59.00 Brunton changed the # that
it for the new model Brunton F-TPOD-340-CB I believe it's the same
tripod with head the one for sale at Botach I talk with Brunton long
time ago about there tripod.

I finally got the scope out today, and I have to say that I'm quite pleased, especially considering what I paid. I mounted it on my beast of a tripod (my Bogen 3036 with a 3039 head) so it would hold nice and steady. At low magnification, the clarity was excellent, and remained so past 30x. It dropped off a little around the edges towards max magnification, which didn't really surprise me. Upon looking into the objective lens with a flashlight I could see just a couple of flecks of dust, but nothing that would interfere with an image. My focus knob doesn't feel real smooth, like there are positions where there is more tension than others, which worries me a little bit.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. The scope that I use regularly is a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 that I love. While this scope certainly won't replace it, it is much lighter and I'll be much more likely to throw it in a pack with a light tripod and head off into the woods with it. Just for curiosity I checked eBay, and there are a couple of these scopes listed for $75 to $125. There is also a listed a Bresser 25-75x100 which I'd sure like to check out! Anyone seen one of these?

Glad you like the scope Ptickner. It definitely is going to serve a purpose in my scope selection. With the new tripods I also purchased I am sure I will have fun taking it out often enough.

On another note, I did look at the 25-75x100 scope you mentioned. Nothing seems "wrong" with it per se. My only reservation would be paying $400+ for a scope that does not use ED glass in the design. You know the benefits that it provides from your Razor. As you move up in objective diameter you move up in magnification. As you move up in magnification you typically need better glass to make use of it because of the increased effect that any aberration, chromatic in this case, can have on the image.

I wouldn't pay the $400+ for the 25-75x100 either, but if they show up in a killer deal like it's little brother did, I'd sure consider one!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back