• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sticky Rubber Armour (1 Viewer)

42za

Hello All,

I have a Swarovski CL 8 x 25 binocular.

I noticed that the rubber armour on mine had started to get sticky.

I seem to have removed of the stickiness by thoroughly cleaning the rubber with lighter fluid and the rubbing Talcum powder into the rubber.

I hope that the stickiness will not return.

Has any one else experienced this stickiness specifically with Swarovski products , and how did you remedy this.

Thanks.

Cheers.

42za, post 1,
Have you used Deet while using the binoculars? If so, that does attack the armor.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello Gijs,

No I have not used "Deet" at all . I don't know what it is , and I have never seen it offered for sale in my country.

No chemical substances have been even close to the binoculars , they just started getting sticky all on their own o:D.

The binocular has not been stored in a hot location either.

Why don't binocular makers offer the old leatherette covered models anymore ? I have had absolutely no problems of this nature with any of my older binoculars.

"Progress" , I suppose o:D.

Cheers.

Hello All,

I have a Swarovski CL 8 x 25 binocular.

I noticed that the rubber armour on mine had started to get sticky.

I seem to have removed of the stickiness by thoroughly cleaning the rubber with lighter fluid and the rubbing Talcum powder into the rubber.

I hope that the stickiness will not return.

Has any one else experienced this stickiness specifically with Swarovski products , and how did you remedy this.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Oh, that is bad news. I hope your report is not the first sign that Swarovski's latest artificial rubber formula is not stable. I have experienced this problem with some old Japanese binoculars but never with Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss. My solution has been to treat the binocular with ArmorAll (original formula), let sit overnight, then remove residual. The rubber is never quite the same, but such treatment seems to stabilize the tactile quality of the rubber for a very long time before it needs to be repeated, if ever.

--AP

I have some canon image stabilised bins from 15yrs or so, kept in a case, never used deet or other chemicals. Few areas went sticky, I have dusted with talc and they seem to have stabilised. Others have tried armorall protectant spray. Good luck

Peter

Oh, that is bad news. I hope your report is not the first sign that Swarovski's latest artificial rubber formula is not stable. I have experienced this problem with some old Japanese binoculars but never with Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss. My solution has been to treat the binocular with ArmorAll (original formula), let sit overnight, then remove residual. The rubber is never quite the same, but such treatment seems to stabilize the tactile quality of the rubber for a very long time before it needs to be repeated, if ever.

--AP

Alexis:

I will disagree with you about using Armorall. I have tried it, and it does make the armor too slick and then the armor loses any tactile ability it was designed to have.

So, I would not recommend using Armorall, I would just recommend a proper cleaning, so to preserve the original feel.

Now the original problem, I have no advice for that, does not sound good and I would be concerned. I do hope sticky just means tacky and grippy which can be a similar thing, unless it has gotten worse over time since new.

Good luck.

Jerry

Alexis:

I will disagree with you about using Armorall. I have tried it, and it does make the armor too slick and then the armor loses any tactile ability it was designed to have.

So, I would not recommend using Armorall, I would just recommend a proper cleaning, so to preserve the original feel.

Now the original problem, I have no advice for that, does not sound good and I would be concerned. I do hope sticky just means tacky and grippy which can be a similar thing, unless it has gotten worse over time since new.

Good luck.

Jerry

Hello,

No , the armour had become sticky , like it seemed to be exuding something , this has cleaned up somewhat when I cleaned it with lighter fluid and rubbed Talcum powder into the rubber , it is too soon to say , but this treatment seems to have somewhat stabilized the rubber armour , although the colour of the armour has changed.

I have experienced this breakdown and stickiness on other rubber covered items before , and the only permanent cure was to completely remove the rubber coating from the item.
This rubber removal had to be done on a Bushnell Range finder and a portable Radio.

I hope that such drastic measures will not have to be taken with this expensive binocular.

Sending the binocular back to Swarovski will only be a last resort , as any sort of service in my country is poor to say the least.

I am rather dissapointed with this.

Cheers.

I hope that by using lighter fluid on the armor does not in any way prevent you from getting the armor repaired under warranty from Swarovski. It could and likely occur again. I would send them back, most likely a bad batch of material used in the process - a rare finding with the brand, but they will fix the problem.

Andy W.

I hope that by using lighter fluid on the armor does not in any way prevent you from getting the armor repaired under warranty from Swarovski. It could and likely occur again. I would send them back, most likely a bad batch of material used in the process - a rare finding with the brand, but they will fix the problem.

Andy W.

Hi,

considering it's Swaro, they will probably repair no questions asked and include a Zippo to use the lighter fluid in ;-)

Joachim

Good one Joachim, like the guy who sent in his bino after the dog chewed it- Swarovski sent him the bino back with a dog treat, that was a nice touch.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back