• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My netsuke (2 Viewers)

Clive29

Hi there,

Here are some pictures of netsuke I've carved. I'm very keen to explore the use of natural materials from sustainable sources to encourage carvers and collectors especially in the far east that using materials from endangered animals is not only morally wrong but also entirely unnessessary.

Regards
Clive

Attachments

• front1web.jpg
    front1web.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Best.jpg
    Best.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Flank1b+1.jpg
    Flank1b+1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 146
Welcome Clive!
Stunning stuff, really professional work!
Thanks for sharing and don`t hesitate to upload more of that...

Paschalis

Welcome to the best bit of BF. That's absolutely beautiful work. What materials are you using?

Mike

Brilliant work Clive....!

Dedication and craftsmanship shines through these carvings and they look irresistibly tactile...:cat:

That fish has so much character...bloody marvelous..!

What actual sizes are these pieces...?

And a second question...how far does the maple type leaf design revolve around the first snail tooth carving...?

Love to see more of this impressive work as i'm a big fan of eastern art influences....:t:

All the best...

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Many thanks for the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Extra views of each of those pieces can be seen (and others) on my website.. http://www.clivehallam.com/index.html

As netsuke my pieces are relatively small.. made so they easily fit into the palm of the hand and are tactile, so no sharp or spiky bits.

I use a broad range of materials, often inlaying one material into another to create textural and colour contrast. My favorite material is probably shed stag antler but I also use commercially reared Asian buffalo horn, cattle horn and boar tusk. I also use various woods (including semi fossilized material) that I can determine with confidence are from sustainable sources and ivory from extinct mammoth and mastodon.

Attachments

• 6013999823_2a3a9d2f17_z.jpg
    6013999823_2a3a9d2f17_z.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 108
  • P1010794closeup.jpg
    P1010794closeup.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 105
Just been looking at your website Clive.....stunning work...:t:

Some magical pieces to admire...

Iparticularly love the falcon and pheasant..birth of shrooms and that snail on a coke tin...!

Be great to see your work 'in the flesh' so to speak...[have you ever exhibited at the annual Rutland Water Fair]...?

You would sell a lot i might predict....:cat:

Thank you, glad you liked them.

May I just say I've looked at your blog and enjoyed the photo's very much. I grew up in Southern Africa and your images took me back. :t:

Thank you, glad you liked them.

May I just say I've looked at your blog and enjoyed the photo's very much. I grew up in Southern Africa and your images took me back. :t:

South Africa is a marvelous destination...[the first time i visited was, amongst other things, to see Great White Sharks...and i was awestruck at their power and beauty]...

Don't suppose you've done a carving of these amazing creatures...?

ps...glad you liked the photos on my blog....[i apologize for the often bad language i use here...it is an acquired 'bad taste']...;)

All the best...B :)

Great whites are certainly awesome creatures, I remember well the repect they commanded while surfing in Cape Town as a boy. It's a strange feeling when you on a board in the waves and you see one cruising the shallows between you and the shore. :eek!:

I haven't ever carved one.. these days I'm more into the slightly "quieter" creatures we share this planet with. The stuff in the undergrowth and that which helps us appreciate the cycle of life.. and death, growth and decay.

B :)

Great whites are certainly awesome creatures, I remember well the repect they commanded while surfing in Cape Town as a boy. It's a strange feeling when you on a board in the waves and you see one cruising the shallows between you and the shore. :eek!:

I haven't ever carved one.. these days I'm more into the slightly "quieter" creatures we share this planet with. The stuff in the undergrowth and that which helps us appreciate the cycle of life.. and death, growth and decay.

B :)

I can totally appreciate where you're coming from re 'the cycle of life' and the often unnoticed 'things' that surround us...[many of my pix on my Images thread here on birdforum relate to this very subject matter]...

Many thanks for showing you're work here on BF...[i'm still in awe of it as is my mate who i've just shown it too]...!

ps...i would not like to be in the water with a Great White....:eek!:..[even i'm not that crazy]...;)

pps...i shall be relating to the plight of rhino's and elephants in my forthcoming South African scribbles...[horrendous increased poaching activity in recent times as i'm sure you are well aware]...

All the best....!

My pleasure, and great that you want to relate the appauling increase in poaching in Southern Africa. It's an issue I feel extremely passionate about. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back