• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR (1 Viewer)

enzodiac

I thought I would start a separate thread for this lens.

I recieved my lens today and have some first impressions to write down.
I have owned the Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600 sports and will compare this lens to them. I am shooting a D7200.

So here it goes:

- Nikon is in the same league as the tamron when it comes to build quality. The hood is plastic and the lens collar is somewhat thinner and less robust compared to the sigma.

- Nikon has no 90 degree stops on the lens collar as the Sigma does.

- Barrel only locks at 200mm, no other focal length. But good news is the barrel does not collaps on its own weight.

- No weather sealing like the Sigma. Only a mount gasket. Similar build quality as the other non sealed af-s lenses. I have no doubt it will survive light rain and snow.

- Significantly lighter than the Sigma and the option to remove the lens collar which I believe wasn't possible on the Sigma.

- Comes with lens cap and nice pouch.

- I have only tested the lens indoors in very dim conditions. Sharpness does seem a tad better then the Sigma. Will try more in the coming days.

- Stabilizer is crazy good. At least 2 stops better then the Sigma. I shoot sharp images at 500mm and 1/15 seconds handheld! Sure it's indoors so time will tell how effective one can be outside with winds etc. But so far this is probably the most impressive stabilizer I have ever used!

Overall good first impressions. Does seem like a better walk around lens then both the Tamron and the Sigma Sport.

Ok I am back from a short session with the new 200-500. This thing is awesome!

I am kind of in love so here goes my second impressions.
Sharpness is great at f5.6. It doesn't improve a whole lot at f8 which is good.
Autofocus rocks! It is fast and accurate. I haven't done any af adjustments and it looks good anyway.
Stabilizer is crazy. Easily beats both Tamron and Sigma. I have the D7200 so it equals 750mm and I can shoot easily at 1/60 outside.

The only concern would be weather sealing. Ironicly it was raining today when I was out with it the first time. Looks like it survived phiew :D

Here are some samples and raw files for you guys to explore.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6wquprtvcv539a/AADs2p2IsDROrE9zDBOdamO5a?dl=0

The full resolution jpegs are basically out of camera. I have only adjusted exposure, sharpening is standard camera raw sharpening.

The image called "retouched" is a cropped version optimized for web with sharpening etc. That bird was 15 meters away and the shot was handheld at 500mm, 1/60, iso 100. The day was overcast and rainy so the light wasn't all that good.

fantastic images, looking forward to see more.

i am thinking of getting this lens with the same lens as second body to my always favorite Olympus E5 + Sigma 50-500mm, as the Sigma is loosing a bit its sharpness, and i have no alternative to it form Olympus, all the choices as very very very expensive.

I can really recommend this lens!

I can't think of a better combo than d7200 and this lens. Stunning IQ for the price.

This image is taken at F8. Not a big difference from 5.6 on this lens. Heavy crop from 24 to 4,6mp.

Attachments

• Pilfink01_1600.jpg
    Pilfink01_1600.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 1,589
nice to see some RAW files with the D7200,
looks good at f5.6 and completely usable (with only slight PP)
and f8 looks even better,

I can really recommend this lens!

I can't think of a better combo than d7200 and this lens. Stunning IQ for the price.

This image is taken at F8. Not a big difference from 5.6 on this lens. Heavy crop from 24 to 4,6mp.

thanks so much, i have no problem with stopping down to f 8 and with our always sunshine i can always keep the ISO as low as 500 if not less. i sometimes go for f 11 for distant birds.

but another thing i don't shoot raw, is the JPEG good.

please if you find this question away form the subject of this thread just ignore it.

super image of the Eurasian sparrow BTW.

thanks so much, i have no problem with stopping down to f 8 and with our always sunshine i can always keep the ISO as low as 500 if not less. i sometimes go for f 11 for distant birds.

but another thing i don't shoot raw, is the JPEG good.

please if you find this question away form the subject of this thread just ignore it.

super image of the Eurasian sparrow BTW.

The lens has good contrast and the images on the back of my camera looks punchy and sharp so yes Jpeg will most likely be fine. But it's mostly up to your camera and image settings in camera.

Excellent!

Does attaching Black Rapid strap (if you do) on the tripod collar feels comfy while walking with it?

It feels great! The Sigma has a better placement of the tripod collar screw, but Nikons screw is kind of small so it doesn't touch my side like the Tamron did.
I use a D7200 with battery grip and it balances well with a strap with lens collapsed or zoomed all the way out to 500mm.

The lens has good contrast and the images on the back of my camera looks punchy and sharp so yes Jpeg will most likely be fine. But it's mostly up to your camera and image settings in camera.

thanks again, looks so tempting. i only have to collect my courage and make the decision it will be my first ever non Olympus camera in my 30 years of photography.

Here is a handheld shot of the moon today. Somehow my f5.6 shots were sharper then the ones at f11.

http://www.ezelius.com/post/129790439577

Diffraction starts at f/8 with the D7200,

latest nikon (super expensive) fluorite lenses are very sharp even fully open,

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-af-s-nikkor-500mm-f-4e-fl-ed-vr-lens-review-28142

would be interesting to see how the 200-500mm behave in that aspect,
probably not as good,
so stopping down to f6.3 or 7.1 might be optimal on 24mp DX also considering the diffraction

Last edited:
Here are some more shots. We had an awesome afternoon and sunset today. Luckely I had some company in form of some bearded tits (lol). All handheld standing on the fence to reach over the reed.

Attachments

• Skaggmes01.jpg
    Skaggmes01.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 802
  • Skaggmes02.jpg
    Skaggmes02.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 692
  • Skaggmes03.jpg
    Skaggmes03.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 1,083
  • Skaggmes04.jpg
    Skaggmes04.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 698
  • Skaggmes05.jpg
    Skaggmes05.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 618
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back