• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird Names Would You Change? (1 Viewer)

Before people really start believing that Bald Eagles only scavenge for fish. I have seen these birds pluck coots, waterfowl, and gulls for food. There is a reason why the site of this bird puts a raft of waterfowl in a panic. My life Snowy Owl was a bird flying as quickly as possible away from an immature Bald Eagle.

And if it is going to be called a Bald Fish-Scavenger, might as well name the rest of the genus that way too... White-tailed Fish-Scavenger, Steller's Fish-Scavenger...

Carlos

I saw a picture once of a carving of a long-necked raptor-type bird. Apparently it was from the mantle of a government building during the discussion over the national bird; the artist meticulously created something that could be interpreted as either eagle or turkey.

Common Buzzard -> Uncertain Hawk.
Marsh Tit -> Indeterminate Tit with boot polish on its head
Willow Tit -> Indeterminate Tit
Turnstone -> Turnshell
Oystercatcher -> Noisemaking Plover (yeah I know it isn't really a plover)
Long-eared Owl -> Angry Tawny Owl with a bad hair day
Cetti's Warbler -> Chatty Warbler
Reed Bunting -> Fence Bunting
Raven -> Greater Crow

Based on UK experience.

Last edited:
I saw a picture once of a carving of a long-necked raptor-type bird. Apparently it was from the mantle of a government building during the discussion over the national bird; the artist meticulously created something that could be interpreted as either eagle or turkey.

It is possible that it was a Griffon Vulture, or maybe Cinereous (European Black) Vulture. One of our bird-related organizations has it on their logo.

I also found it interesting that one of our towns has two identical hawks on its coat of arms (or emblem?). We discussed their possible species and at first they seemed like "invented" birds; however using an international field guide revealed that they match the looks of American Harris hawks (which ARE known for working together as a team)

What about some of the latin names? e.g. Wattled Crane Bugeranus carunculatus or Easter Grassowl Tyto longimembris?

Sounds like something out of Monty Python

Treehunter? What? In no sense can they be described as having to hunt trees. There again Kingfisher is pretty daft, when you think of it. "Caught a 15lb Ludwig XIV this morning!".

Chris

Last edited:
I'm afraid Bugeranus is now subsumed into Grus now. Bu****!

Chris

I found that one going through Sasol Birds of Southern Africa 4th edition, in preparation for my June trip to Namibia. My wife and I are going with a German friend, so I've been adding the German names for her. I have noticed quite a few anomalies, when comparing names using Avibase, so I've no idea what names are politically acceptable at the moment, it seems to depend upon whose list one uses.

The Redstart Warbler, which should be an Orangestart, and it's wife-bird the Yellowstart, should have it's name shanged to Candilita, (sp) which is Spanish for "little candle". So much prettier.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back