• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would a bowerbird do with unlimited bling? (1 Viewer)

jurek

A question I pondered on my holidays but did not dare to check.

What would a male bowerbird do if he could find unlimited number of shiny objects? Would it bury the bower under the bling, would it stop collecting, or would it ignore shiny things and collect ordinary things?

A question I pondered on my holidays but did not dare to check.

What would a male bowerbird do if he could find unlimited number of shiny objects? Would it bury the bower under the bling, would it stop collecting, or would it ignore shiny things and collect ordinary things?

Would be a very interesting experiment. . .. I’m sorry you didn’t give it a shot.
;)

Yep, probably somebody checked it. It should also happen naturally, e.g. when a bowerbird lives next to a rubbish dump.

But I could not find the answer, so maybe some Aussie member can help?

Yes, it depends of species. I though about Arfak Bowerbird, but the Shiny Bowerbird, which is most familiar to Australians, prefers blue objects.

I also thought that the fourth option is possible. Bower building is competitive. So a male which restrains himself leaves bling to rivals to pick. So a male bowerbird, after filling his bower, might start hiding or destroying the rest of the trinkets.

The question stands either way - what would a Satin Bowerbird do when it found a bucketful of blue pieces of plastic or paper?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back