• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfares (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Flocking here now in St P, ready to move, also a mixed flock of Goldfinches and Tree Pipits noted, feeding up and moving through.

Last edited:
Saw a flock of Fieldfare and Redwings passing overhead as I was on the road to Stavanger airport.

I have a feeling this winter will be a bumper haul for British birders. Waxwing invasion would be great

I have a feeling this winter will be a bumper haul for British birders. Waxwing invasion would be great
Berry crops not brilliant in Britain this year, and in many cases stunted and dried out from the summer drought - whether more recent rain will help that I don't know for sure, but unlikely.

Berry crops not brilliant in Britain this year, and in many cases stunted and dried out from the summer drought - whether more recent rain will help that I don't know for sure, but unlikely.

Hips and haws seem abundant locally here in Hampshire, and two weeks ago my wife and I found some huge sloes! We picked a few for the annul sloe gin making!

around ours it's a great haul. The crab apples are a bit small, but hips, haws , elder etc seem better than last 2or 3 years.
Any bird wintering near us should be good.
H

Cranes, Bean & White-fronted Geese and Whooper Swans over here in last days ...but biggest surprise for me was a Yellow-browed Warbler on my land today, a vocal and active bird in trees/bushes at edge of wetland! Needless to say, a new species for my plot and a very unexpected one at that!

Cranes, Bean & White-fronted Geese and Whooper Swans over here in last days ...but biggest surprise for me was a Yellow-browed Warbler on my land today, a vocal and active bird in trees/bushes at edge of wetland! Needless to say, a new species for my plot and a very unexpected one at that!

I would assume that our Geese will follow the coast and probably cross Estonia et al, what's the hopping off point for the sea crossing, I suppose it depends which part of the UK they're aiming at.

I wonder at which point Scottish and Norfolk birds diverge or do some traverse Scandinavia?

Last edited:
I would assume that our Geese will follow the coast and probably cross Estonia et al, what's the hopping off point for the sea crossing, I suppose it depends which part of the UK they're aiming at.

I think a majority of geese entering Estonia end up in the Matsula Bay area, then go southbound to the next major stopover, the Nemunas Delta in Lithuania.

But big numbers also cross eastern Lithuania, these possibly filtering through the eastern borders of Estonia and Latvia or coming straight into Lithuania from a route that passes south of St Petersburg. Here though I guess.

I think a majority of geese entering Estonia end up in the Matsula Bay area, then go southbound to the next major stopover, the Nemunas Delta in Lithuania.

But big numbers also cross eastern Lithuania, these possibly filtering through the eastern borders of Estonia and Latvia or coming straight into Lithuania from a route that passes south of St Petersburg. Here though I guess.

Thanks, we're North of the City off the Vyborg Road, birds are coming over straight E-W toward the Gulf of Finland so not down the coast at this point..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back