• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Salineno lodging (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

With a trip to the LRGV planned for early March and a visit to Salineno within that trip, I have been researching where to stay in reasonable proximity to the Wildlife Preserve and Falcon Park. So far, the best I can come up with is nearly 35 miles away at Rancho Lomitas. There are a few up at the north end of Falcon Lake but just as far away, coming from McAllen, well past our destination.
A couple of motels in Rio Grande City (Bertha's and Rio) have little web presence. The Roma Inn's single review was at a one star level.
Any other ideas from you Texas travelers?

Thanks -
Steve

Zapata

It is not closer, but Zapata has some nice options. One, non-chain, that comes to mind is the Seedeater Inn, it is not only appealing and historic but the owners are very birder-friendly. In RGV I find the travel very easy and usually try to stay at a preferred spot and just zip down or over to whatever the day's destination might be....

Thanks, tanager 16. We did look at the Seedeater Inn but it is twice the cost of Rancho Lomitas and no closer. Last night, we made two nights reservations at Rancho Lomitas, another apparently birder friendly place. I did some research through eBird and saw that Neil Heyward, of Big Year fame, stayed there last month. Michael Marsden, Huck Hutchins and Mary Beth Stowe, all south Texas bird guides, also frequent the place. Good enough for us to stop searching.
In the McAllen area, we will stay for six nights at the Alamo Inn, where we have made repeat visits. Except for a 70 mile trip east to the Brownsville dump to look for the returning Tamaulipas Crow, the Inn is ideally situated for visiting Bentzen, Santa Ana, Anzalduas, Quinta Mazatlan and Estero Llano Grande, where all of our other target birds can be found.

Steve

Sounds like you have a great trip planned, and RGV never fails to provide surprises. I am going to look into the place you found to stay on the western end. I hope you post a bit about your trip. Enjoy!

The LRGV is a place for surprises. We had frost there on Christmas Day in 2014! I'm hoping March won't have that kind of unexpected event. Despite birding there twice before, we are looking forward to that nearly tropical experience again and I will do my best to post my usual longwinded report here.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back