• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adhesive for rubber armour - help needed! (1 Viewer)

mook

Hi all,

The rubber armour on my Zeiss 10x40 B T* has started to lift slightly (underside - where your left thumb would be), and I was wondering if anyone knows the best type of adhesive to use to stick it back firmly? There is no damage to the rubber armour - it's just no longer stuck to the body where it meets the hinge. It looks as though some kind of adhesive tape was originally used to bond rubber to body....

Advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. Is it still possible to buy spare/replacement eyecups (semi-hard rubber) for these older models?

You could send them to Zeiss, but if you want to try a simple fix yourself, try carpet tape--it is super sticky double-sided tape and completely removable/reversible if you change your mind. As for the eyecups, yes you can get replacements from Zeiss. Zeiss and Leica have a legendary reputation for maintaining replacement part stock for models far older than yours.
--AP

Thanks Alexis, the double-sided carpet tape sounds like a safe solution - it does look as though something similar was originally what bonded the armour to the body. I sure as heck don't want to risk glue!

I guess an email/call to Zeiss UK is required too....nice to know you can still get these bits & pieces.....

Cheers,

Mook.

Alexis - the double-sided tape has worked a treat. No fuss & no mess - the rubber armour is stuck firmly & good as new.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Mook.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back