• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you ever been torn between a twitch or sporting events? (1 Viewer)

I saw my first Snow Buntings while watching a rugby match. Two landed on the pitch right in front of me while the game was in progress. My mate (a non-birder) thought I was having a fit.

Hey Wolfbirder. Just catching up on threads I've missed while without WiFi on St Agnes. Got to say this is the one I've enjoyed most. The ones that make you feel you're just having a chat in the pub...

Can't think of any examples off the top of my head re OP, but did I tell you about the time I went to see Siouxsie and the Banshees rather than a prospective Nighthawk...

Ah, whole other thread...

I've been lucky enough to do both Birding and go to the sporting event which is mainly rugby in the evening. Infact on Saturday I'll be doing a similar thing go Birding and watch a rugby match in a pub after.

As I age, the number of sports I follow decreases (when young, there was no sport I would not follow.) It's now down to baseball and football. Baseball definitely take precedence over birding. Football, no. But then, I'm in DC. On one hand, we just won the World Series, on the other hand, we have the Redskins.

To answer the original question I remember deciding to watch the UEFA Cup final between Liverpool and Alves rather than go for a local Tawny Pipit at Heysham. I had to check the year and it was 2001. I haven't seen a Tawny Pipit in the UK before or since.

[Edit - no regrets, it was an epic match]

I did some local patch birding this morning, nice morning out counting Redshank and Lapwing, and the first pair of Shelduck back after their late summer moult trip away :t:

Do I gather there was a rugby match on or something? No idea what the result was.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back