• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colleen's gone Coastal, Oregon USA (1 Viewer)

Thank you Gaby, :)

Here is a recent seascape from one of the great places along the Central coast of Oregon
8x10 oil

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 57
Great Oregon coast seascape! You've really portrayed that gorgeous area well in your painting(s).

Finally getting in some bird work...want to see if I can create a way to do hummerss that is more like how my eye sees them instead of freezing like a camera does I'm trying to get more motion somethiing like Manfred Schatz, the only wildlife artist who really made a specialty of motion.

this is 5x7 oil on stretched canvas it looks better in person, the color is richer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 61
From my perspective, thats an incredable leap across to a different subject matter, and you done a very good job of it....Its perfectly shows the idea of motion in the wings..well done !
But if I were to make any other comment (From my unskilled eye),im worried about it being bang in the middle (sorry)......?

But if I were to make any other comment (From my unskilled eye),im worried about it being bang in the middle (sorry)......?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andrew. Guidelines like not putting stuff in the middle are very useful, but not carved in stone. After you can paint by the rules, you can start to do some pushing the boundaries of the rules.

So lets look this one over. First this is a 5x7 study, and the bird is lifesize. so there's not much choice where it has to fit. Here are some tricks I used to offset it. First notice there is a strong diagonal in two directions. Diagonal movement is the most dynamic of all composition, you can see it in spades in the Baroque Era of art. Second notice there is a strong focal pt, on the eye both contrast and color, and that falls in the area of the picture plane that is near what is called the rule of Thirds, you can look that up, it a way of dividing the canvas in thirds both directions where the imaginary lines cross ( like tic tac toe) is the sweet spot to put your focal pt. Third Ive used the background to create more movement, and melded edges, and used some of the background color in the bird to create more unity, so there is not a pasted on effect of a bird on a background, but a movement of light in space.

All of those things help over ride the bang in the middle thing. But thats still a good rule to follow most of the time.

Last edited:
thanks Ed. I hope to get that even better, I'm still working out the right colors and values to use. I've stared at it many times, with a feeder I had near a window, but dang me if I can really tell what color it is, so I'm just messing now seeing what will work.

field study of Common Murres and a pigeon guilomont , this is the first one I've ever tried in oil. its small 6x8. there are murres by the thousands out at the headlands, but they are too far away and packed too close. so I did these at a big aviary at Oregon Coast Aquarium.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 51
thank you Gaby, since I stuck a hangar on the window with a simple feeder I can really observe them what a delight they are.

field study of Common Murres and a pigeon guilomont , this is the first one I've ever tried in oil. its small 6x8. there are murres by the thousands out at the headlands, but they are too far away and packed too close. so I did these at a big aviary at Oregon Coast Aquarium.

New birds for me Colleen. I'd be happy to have the chance to paint them, aquarium or otherwise.

Change that to mastering the sea :) just starting to get it
Hummers are a real chAllenge

Jen with global warming who knows what will happen to the seabirds

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back