• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000) (1 Viewer)

8-P
Black Crow,

Chuck's advice in post #77 is excellent and should be enough for you and your friend to go by. He owns and uses all of the models he talks about here, they are all premium, and all are slightly different in view, handling and relative strengths. None have any particularly significant weaknesses. Have her try out those four models on Chuck's non-complicated list and choose the one she prefers most. She'll be happy for as long as she can keep on birding.

Kimmo

Looks like her first order will be for the Zeiss 10X42 SF. She got a deal at Sports Optics and she is waiting for a shipment to come in. If she loves it that will be as far as it goes. If something isn't right then I don't know and she likely doesn't either know what will be next. I was so envious I had to order another binocular for myself. (Opticron 8x32). She may have better but I'll have more.

Last edited:
:king:Actually I am. If she dies and her family cannot do it, I take over the two dogs I trained for her and I get a couple hundred grand for dog food and effort. I'd have done it anyway. Oh and I inherit her binoculars and a pair of great Bower and Wilkins tower speakers.

Last edited:
:king:Actually I am. If she dies and her family cannot do it, I take over the two dogs I trained for her and I get a couple hundred grand for dog food and effort. I'd have done it anyway. Oh and I inherit her binoculars and a pair of great Bower and Wilkins tower speakers.
A couple hundred grand will buy a LOT of dog food!:king: Those are nice speakers.

Yeah I helped pick those Towers out. They are one of the best speakers I've ever heard and I've heard a lot of em. She has the perfect acoustic space for them in a huge room with 20 ft + ceiling.

I love both those dogs. I owned one of them for about 4 years and rehomed him because he fell in love with her and her dog. He's a big bullmastiff/pitbull of about 120 lb. named Kilo.

What beauties. I'd share mine but I'm not computer literate and I got this message when I tried. I have no idea how to resize them.
"The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1600 x 1200. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3648 x 2736".

Change of plans guys. She bought my 8x50B Swarovski and I found this this deal here and she ordered one to see how it goes. She's got 30 days to see how they perform. https://www.tractoptics.com/products/binoculars/toric-uhd-10x42-gen-1

She's bought three good pair of binos this week. Am I envious? You figure it out.:-C However I had the fun of finding them for her.:king:

Hey John .... What's the word on the Toric UHD 10X42? I am also curious why she went for the outgoing UHD rather than the just introduced HT version with the Schott HT glass. I got the impression that the $100 difference would not be a deal breaker for her. Thanks.

It came friday and she wasn't home to sign so it's going to wait until Monday for us to view it. Today we are viewing her new Nikon Monarch 8x30 and I'm getting my new Kowa Genesis 8x33. I'll be sure to let you know.

It was not a deal breaker but the reviews on the originals were very good and the new are an unknown so to get her interested in what I think will satisfy her possibly short lived interest in 10x I recommended the original. She can upgrade anytime. She's in love with the Swarovski 8x50s I just sold her and that's all she'll talk about right now.

Last edited:
Well that's too bad. That would drive me crazy knowing all weekend they were sitting close by in the UPS truck ..... So close yet so far! In the meantime I look forward to hear both of your thoughts on the Nikon Monarch 7 8X30.

I'm getting confused.

Did she or did she not order Zeiss SF?

If yes, did she get them yet?

If yes, what was her impression of them?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back