• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice for Travel Scope and Tripod (1 Viewer)

Yes, this is why I earlier suggested looking at Opticron or Kowa. Nikon is not supporting this scope. I think you can get what you want, but it may take a bit of effort. I hope it works out though. The ED50 is quite a marvel, the smallest and lightest available with performance second to none. Hope it works out well!

Mark

I was a bit concerned that I hadn't had a confirmation email from Clifton Cameras regarding the eyepiece I ordered last yesterday. The 13-40x was listed as the last one. It's now listed as available to order. I logged onto their website and the order was listed as pending, so I gave them a ring. They confirmed the order would be with me by Monday.

For a moment I was worried I would be left with a scope and tripod but no eyepiece for the foreseeable future. Clifton Cameras was the only UK site I could find listing the 13-40x as available. Maybe these are being phased out, along with the wide angle MC?

The eyepiece is also listed on amazon.co.uk. On the amazon website are also three more sellers which list the eyepiece. :)

Damn! Should have got that one. It is slightly cheaper (£3) but, more importantly, would have been here today rather than Monday (I have Amazon Prime).

Just need to track down 27x wide MC II (at a sensible price).

I'm not sure if you can find anything new except the DS version nowadays. If you are fine with that one, I recommend ordering direct from Japan. It won't have a warranty, but eyepieces don't need one anyway. In the USA, the easiest option is to purchase as direct import through Amazon USA. Right now, it is available for $200 (including shipping!).
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Fieldscope-Eyepiece-40XWDS-Improt/dp/B0007NXT5S

If you can find it used, the Nikon 40/50x WF is a nice option because it is very compact compared to the optically equivalent MC and DS versions. Another option, especially if you want something compact, is to adapt an astro eyepiece. I included a link to a thread on that in an earlier post.

--AP

If you can find it used, the Nikon 40/50x WF is a nice option because it is very compact compared to the optically equivalent MC and DS versions. Another option, especially if you want something compact, is to adapt an astro eyepiece. I included a link to a thread on that in an earlier post.
I did look at that thread but I doubt whether I have the expertise or tools to produce the threaded tube....but an interesting read anyway.

Had a similar search for black Bushwackers recently, with no luck in UK, so ordered amber; was pleasantly surprised how subdued the colour was though, as i was expecting a traffic light. I wondered if anyone had tried any product to take the colour down towards black though?
Got mine through ANT Supplies in Swansea via Google.
I've ordered one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vortex-Flip-Cap-Optic-Cover-size-FC-3-4-5-6-7-/322847055701
Vortex-Flip-Cap-Optic-Cover-size 7.

It's suppose to fit 55-61mm. It cost £12 with free postage but it could take until the 9th April to arrive. I'll let you know if it's any good.

I'm using the MM4-60 as a light setup vs. my DiaScope85 (which has a better low-light performance). I've written my decision detailed in some pages of the Juelich-Forum (in german). Now my MM4 is way more in action, than the DiaScope, but the Zeiss has it's own watching-conditions. In former times I've got a Nikon 50ED with the 13-40x, and it had a very good optic, but the MM4 is now my favourite.
http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,436519

happy reading & decision
Manfred

I did look at that thread but I doubt whether I have the expertise or tools to produce the threaded tube....but an interesting read anyway.

Last I knew, the author of that thread still had several adapters to give away. He shipped several to Europe.

--AP

The 13-40x eye piece has arrived. Had a quick go in the house and in the back garden. The scope does not disappoint. :) The view is bright and crisp. The FoV is fairly narrow when fully zoomed in but at 13x it is relatively easy to find the subject. Overall I'm pleased and, more importantly, so is my wife.

The objective lens cover has yet to arrive but I'm not expecting it until the 9th Apr (at the latest).

...The objective lens cover has yet to arrive but I'm not expecting it until the 9th Apr (at the latest).

Glad to know you like the scope! When your objective cover comes, I suggest putting it on upside down so it flips down rather than up.

--AP

My used Nikon ED50A arrived yesterday and so far i am also really happy with it. It is sharp, lightweight and den Zoom (13-40 MCII) is not too narrow in my eyes.

But i have one question. When I look through the spotting scope, I have the feeling that the image is not completely horizontal, but a little crooked, see the attached pictures.

Pic 1 shows a photo which i took while handholding my smartphone a bit inclined (about 3 degrees).
Pic 2 shows a photo which i took while handholding my smartphone completely horizontal.

Is this phenomenon normal?

Attachments

• Pic2-min.jpg
    Pic2-min.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 263
  • Pic1-min.jpg
    Pic1-min.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 279
I've never noticed it in my ED50, but then, I lean to the left myself anyway :)
As long as you have no unexpected asymmetries in sharpness across the field, I wouldn't be concerned.

--AP

Thanks!
I've been testing it for two days now and do not notice this phenomenon any more. My summary so far: Wonderful scope :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back