• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Oregon 4 PC (1 Viewer)

lgc123

Hi,

on the market for 8x32 binoculars in the £100 range, and been considering the Oregon 4 (bang on budget), or maybe stretching to the Discovery. I've just noticed that there is a new Oregon 4 PC model on sale for £110, which now include phase corrected coatings.

I can't find any impressions/reviews online - anybody tried them? I'm new to this, so I don't know how much of a difference the PC coating would make (or if other aspects might have gotten worse in the process..)

Igc,

Phase coating counteracts the light loss which is a potential pitfall of roof prism designs. In bright, sunny condition I suspect few would notice the difference, but in murky conditions the loss in contrast is usually much more obvious. It's a feature worth having.

David

phase coating

Igc,

Phase coating counteracts the light loss which is a potential pitfall of roof prism designs. In bright, sunny condition I suspect few would notice the difference, but in murky conditions the loss in contrast is usually much more obvious. It's a feature worth having.

David

Roof prisms have an inherent problem. They can't focus all the colours / wave lengths into a sharp point. Porro prisms don't share this problem so PC coatings correct this out-of-phase error and therefore allow roof prisms to be as sharp as the equivalent porro prisms.
I'm not sure that they counteract any light loss.

Richard,

I was trying to keep it simple.

As you know the Schmidt-Pechan prism creates two polarised light paths and their recombination results in interference. I'm yet to find a good scientific account of the consequences, but I believe it is the cancellation in the perpendicular axis to the roof edge which not only causes the loss in contrast and therefore resolution, but also results net reduction in total transmission. I'm keen to find more specific information if you have it.

David

Last edited:
Had a quick look at the Oregon 4PC yesterday and rather liked it. The phase coating gave it a bit of sparkle that I felt it's predecessor was missing. I preferred the 8x32 over the 8x42.

The Adventure T WP 6.5x32 with it's 161m/483 ft view and huge DoF was great fun as well. It even worked with my glasses!

Had a quick look at the Oregon 4PC yesterday and rather liked it. The phase coating gave it a bit of sparkle that I felt it's predecessor was missing. I preferred the 8x32 over the 8x42.

The Adventure T WP 6.5x32 with it's 161m/483 ft view and huge DoF was great fun as well. It even worked with my glasses!

Hello Typo, how did the Oregon sit with your spectacles??

Stephen,

Sorry about the late reply. I was away for a few days without internet access.

They seemed fine with my glasses. I now see the ER is listed as 15mm, which would normally be on the limit for the specs I was wearing, but might well be a rathet short for some. I recall I needed to twist out the eyecups on the 8x42. Probably 2-3mm, but nothing like the 7mm difference shown in the specification.

David

I think the close focus was about 8 or 9ft for the sample of the 8x32 Oregon PC I tried. The spec for the Discovery is 1.2m.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back