• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl in Spring Hill (1 Viewer)

MelissaM

There has been a Snowy Owl reported near the GM plant in Spring Hill, TN. I went up Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 but didnt see it myself. My daughter and father went up for a doctors appointment today, Feb. 5, and saw it. I will be going back this weekend in hopes of spotting it. Reports say it has flown this far south due to overpopulation in search of food. This is the first report of one here in TN since 1987.

Well I still havent seen the Snowy Owl here in TN. I went back up again this weekend and didnt see it. Saw lots of hawks, kestrels, a blue heron, robins and several other birds but no Snowy Owl. I have about given up.

Hi M, I was gonna ask ya,

Where did ya see the hawks, and the others?

And Don't give up!!!!

I keep hearing a hooter, up here, but can't narrow him down anywhere...

Also some some fuzzy droppings yesterday, must be from a hooter of some kind, right???
It seemed to have a lot of hair in it, about the size of a small dog dropping...

There is a road that runs beside the railroad tracks behind the GM plant. I drove up that road looking for the owl and saw the heron and hawks. There was a huge hawk but it had its back to me and couldnt make a positive identification. I will probably drive back up this weekend and see if I can catch a glimpse of the owl. Man I would love to see it.

Melissa,

Busy this weekend, in the studio all day Saturady and Sunday with out of towners and family.

BUTTT!!! I would be happy to go searching with you next weekend?

If your are interested in some company, send me a PM and we can xchange numbers if ya want...

Do ya go looking in the morning or afternoon?

I am about a good hour north of the Saturn parkway turnoff, FYI...

I really want some birding shots, with my (new2me)300 F2.8...

Last edited:
Yeah I drove up there Sunday morning but didn't see the owl. I wonder it it has moved on up north. You should check out my thread on the Birds of Prey forum. I did see a leucisitc Red-tailed hawk though. So beautiful! I attached a couple of thumbnails of it.

So, are you going again this sat or Sun?

Want to meet up with the wife and I, so you can show me where???

Who know's maybe we will get lucky and catch a glimpse of him....

I dont know if my boyfriend has to work or not and I ususally dont know until Friday afternoon. I probably wont go. There's some blue herons nesting down here that I want to go take pics of and I want to try and get some more pics of the leucisitic hawk. But the road that I travel on is easy to find. Its Carters Creek Pike or somethign like that. If you travel South on Hwy 31 and go past the Spring Hill high school and turn right on the street right past the shell station there you will see old hwy 31. Then briefly turn left then turn right on this Carters Creek street. Follow it for just a little ways and it will take you to the railroad tracks. Turn on the road to the right that travels beside the railroad tracks. You can also use google satellite maps to get a good image of what I am talking about. This road takes you behind the GM plant there in Spring Hill. I ususally see several Kestrels, other hawks, and a Heron and other birds too. Just havent seen the owl yet.

That's some good directions! LOL!!!

Anyway wasn't trying to stalk ya!!!

I will def google the place and see what if we can get on down there!!!

Thx for the directions anyway!

Happy snappin!

So Dan'l did ya go to Spring Hill this weekend? Did ya see the owl? I have been so sick with this sinus crud all weekend. Didnt stick my head out the door.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back