• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The P1000 is big (1 Viewer)

Quite happy here too.....this Nuthatch was under the canopy in dark conditions,F6.3,iso400 and 1/30second.

Attachments

• rsz_2image.jpg
    rsz_2image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 304
Thanks Neil, I shall have a little play...……..been testing on a chestnut, even from 4yds can't get the same detail as your shots, but will now try some aperture settings.

Den

Hi Peter......all of these shots are jpegs straight from the camera.The only thing i ever do with my photos is to crop as most of the subjects are too far away to fill the frame.

Another pic showing the detail possible and the cameras ability to focus through foliage.......i'm most impressed with it.

Attachments

• rsz_2image (1).jpg
    rsz_2image (1).jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 267
very impressed Neil, went around to the sunny side of feeder for this one. Definitely better than my usual from the other side. Cropped a bit and resized for posting.

Interesting regarding the Aperture setting, OK for F6.3 up to 2000mm but if I go any further out it shuts down to F8. This one was 1/500 at F5.6

Den

Attachments

• Better one.JPG
    Better one.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 280
I tend not to use the full optical zoom on the 900 as images are a little bit softer at full zoom.This also means i can stay at f6.3 which is the best in my particular camera.
Have you turned off the nr in the camera settings as this can make a big difference to image quality.
Nice Goldie,i wish i could get a shot of one.......i do try.

Cheers Neil, that looks like a slight improvement for me, even if it is in mostly terms of time saving more than quality. I've turned the in-camera sharpening up 2 notches, and reduced the picture size. Hopefully I can go straight from camera to web from now on.
Quick Great tit pic attached. (p900)

Your Reed Warbler is a corker

Attachments

• DSCN7128.JPG
    DSCN7128.JPG
    928.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
The equation is simple...up to let's say 50m/60m (depending the size of the bird and light available), the P900/P1000 delivers very nice record shots, but a DSLR with the right lens would outperform it...and by a long margin at closer distances.

However when your subject is further, the quality of what you can obtain with the DSLR starts decreasing at a much steeper rate that what you get with the P900/P1000. You also have the portability advantage.

That is why, for what I need, the P900/P1000 is a better option.

The equation is simple...up to let's say 50m/60m (depending the size of the bird and light available), the P900/P1000 delivers very nice record shots, but a DSLR with the right lens would outperform it...and by a long margin at closer distances.

Well said. Shy songbirds have safety distances of 30m or so. In a few years you can collect format-filling shots with a bridge cam of almost any species. It may be possible to do the same with a DSLR plus a Sigma 150-600 C, but that's a weight of 2.5 kg, and most people would need at least a monopod as support.

Peter, what is your shutter speed? you might need to get lower, there might be some movement giving quality problems with your current setup

Niels

An informative new review was published on the uk.PCMag.com site, including a 3 minutes 4K video with some wader watching at 3000mm. Gives an impression whether it could replace a scope for stationary birds. The review also looks at various focal lengths, it seems photos are decent up to 1.600mm.

It's not a camera for BIF. Says the review:
It rattles off a burst of 7 shots in a second, but stops and becomes completely unresponsive as it writes those images to a memory card. Regardless of whether you are shooting in Raw, Raw+JPG, or JPG format, you have to wait about 10 seconds for the burst to commit to memory.

I am in no hurry to get it, but it's good to have options. Clearly it would beat my manual-focusing wader watching.

how AF performs with birds in flight ? How much time does it take from switching ON button to the moemnt when camera is ready to take pictures?

Sample shots from today. 65 mtrs testing out the digital zoom. 3 shots 1 at 3000 optical, the next 4500 digital and the other 6000 digital hand held.

Same bird same place.

Quite pleased with the Goose as well

Den

Attachments

• Snipe 3 sizes3000mm.JPG
    Snipe 3 sizes3000mm.JPG
    929.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Snipe 3 sizes4500mm.JPG
    Snipe 3 sizes4500mm.JPG
    900.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Snipe 3 sizes6000mm.JPG
    Snipe 3 sizes6000mm.JPG
    831.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Snipe 3 sizesAll hail goose.JPG
    Snipe 3 sizesAll hail goose.JPG
    654.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
how AF performs with birds in flight ? How much time does it take from switching ON button to the moemnt when camera is ready to take pictures?

From the review above:
I found the Dot Sight to be more effective for static subjects, though, as the P1000's autofocus struggles a bit when zoomed all the way in. [...] the P1000 manages to go from off to on, focus, and capture an image in 1.8 seconds. No, it's not the instant power you get from an SLR, but it's a good mark for a bridge camera.

Sample shots from today. 65 mtrs testing out the digital zoom. 3 shots 1 at 3000 optical, the next 4500 digital and the other 6000 digital hand held.

Same bird same place.

Quite pleased with the Goose as well

Den

Great detail in the Grey lag goose.

Cheers Neil, goose was approx. 90yds away. 2200mm 1/500 F7.1 1 0f a series as he reared up and flapped his wings, so probably moving quite a bit.

I am happy that the 1000 seems to perform well at focal lengths where the 900 is at its limit. Whether the pics I am now getting are not up to the standard of some other cameras or not, fact is I am getting much more detail than with the 900.
I have a lot of pics of water rails from a few years ago, many of them from a foot or so distance. One year we had a group of 7 that were totally at home wandering around our feet while fishing, some even walked across my feet in their search for anything to eat!

Never managed the same sort of feather detail as your pic.

Den

A couple of recent images from my P1000. These were both taken at full zoom with a camera on a support.

Attachments

• Cono-P1000_0403.jpg
    Cono-P1000_0403.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Cono-P1000_0387_01.jpg
    Cono-P1000_0387_01.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back