• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds id help - Tamilnadu, South India (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi,

Please help iding the below species. All images were taken today (10-Feb-19), near Kanchipuram, South India.

1) Pipit id help.
2) Pipit id help.
3) Jungle prinia? Or is it grey-breasted?
4) Common snipe?
5) Siberian stonechat?

Thanks
Ajay

Attachments

• Pipit1.JPG
    Pipit1.JPG
    900.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Pipit2.JPG
    Pipit2.JPG
    687.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Prinia.JPG
    Prinia.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Snipe.JPG
    Snipe.JPG
    517.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Stonechat.JPG
    Stonechat.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 32
The pale oval patch on the upperwing coverts recalls Pintail Snipe to me. Combined with the short looking bill, I think this may well be a Pintail Snipe.

For future reference, listen for the call, which is distinctive and easy to remember, and note that Pintail Snipe often stays low when flushed and lands soon after, rather than towering away like a Common Snipe.

Last edited:
Is it my imagination, or are there some pin-shaped outer tail feathers showing on the right?

Last edited:
The prinia's bill is slightly open, which makes it's bill shape hard to judge (much thicker). It could well be a Jungle Prinia, but be careful of judging it by the bill in this pic.

Thanks a lot,all.

Prinia: Thanks, Andy. Actually, your post made me wonder if it indeed is an Ashy prinia, as the iris colour somewhat looked different from the images of Jungle prinias I saw in the net. And indeed, Larry, the open bill does make it hard. Thanks.

Snipe: I'm very weak on snipes and I see that there are no records for both the common and pin-tailed snipes in this particular site, making it all the more difficult. Shall be happy to correct my original id if this is a pin-tailed snipe.

Thanks very much indeed for the help. Really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,all.

Prinia: Thanks, Andy. Actually, your post made me wonder if it indeed is an Ashy prinia, as the iris colour somewhat looked different from the images of Jungle prinias I saw in the net. And indeed, Larry, the open bill does make it hard. Thanks.

Snipe: I'm very weak on snipes and I see that there are no records for both the common and pin-tailed snipes in this particular site, making it all the more difficult. Shall be happy to correct my original id if this is a pin-tailed snipe.

Thanks very much indeed for the help. Really appreciate it.

With that very bold back pattern, Jack Snipe crossed my mind but I think it's too barred below?

I think that the snipe is Pin-tailed/Swinhoe's (I'm not sure you can say which from this, unless there is a difference in range). The pale wing panel fits better than for Common, plus the underparts and quite extensively dark-barred. Although it appears to have a pale trailing edge to the secondaries, this looks more like a photo artifact to me and is not as white or as clearly defined as I'd expect for the white trailing edge of Common Snipe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back