• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikkor 500mm f5.46pf lens - any users yet ? (1 Viewer)

I ordered my 500mm f5.6 PF in late August and am still waiting. There are threads in other photo forums devoted to "if you receive your lens, let us know," and these have gone virtually silent for months. A few people got lucky by ordering from small stores that most people had not thought to patronize. But after these smaller merchants received their small initial allotment they, too, went into backorder mode.

I understand that making the lens is time-consuming and that Nikon underestimated the number of initial orders. I also know that lots of us who ordered the lens are already well-equipped for bird photography and that this wait is one of those ultimate First World Problems.

But those who have received the lens seem enthusiastic about it, so I would love to get my hands on the one I ordered over five months ago.

I don't believe they "underestimated the number of initial orders." Only a small few of these lenses went out in the initial shipments. I'm sure they did not intend for the delay, but it's a repeating pattern. I've seen delays/shortages with all sorts of Nikon products over the years. They've done better with the Nikon Z system bodies/lenses; I'll give them credit for that. And while long waits are frustrating, it's not nearly as bad as quality control or recall issues...

Dave

You probably saw this:
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/29/where-is-the-nikon-af-s-nikkor-500mm-f-5-6e-pf-ed-vr-lens.aspx/

I would add one more possible reason: Waiting for the for the lenses to make it across the ocean on a slow cargo freighter and then even after the ship makes it here the goods have to sit at the port in the container a while longer for various reasons.

It's probably a combination of reasons, but I wish Nikon could do a better job anticipating and factoring all of it in to the schedule.

Dave

Just received mine and stuck in today .
pic from window and this with 1.4x on - its sharp ! - 5000 iso so grainy

I had to get mine from Germany but it was cheaper than UK and comes with 5 year guarantee .

Attachments

• 018_1142.jpg
    018_1142.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 338
Another statement of apology from which I can gather almost nothing:
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/02/05/...-500mm-f-5-6e-pf-ed-vr-lens.aspx/#more-132231

I need a better translation, but it seems the main excuse they want us to believe is that they were simply surprised by the high demand. Could they really be that out of touch with their customers? Don't they realize most of us will not buy existing lenses that cost $10K+ ? Didn't they notice the successful recent affordable 300mm PF lens, or the 200-500mm f/5.6E? While I wouldn't argue they have been out of touch with their customers many times in the past, I still don't know that I believe that is the main explanation.

Dave

Last edited:
I need a better translation, but it seems the main excuse they want us to believe is that they were simply surprised by the high demand. Could they really be that out of touch with their customers? Don't they realize most of us will not buy existing lenses that cost $10K+ ? Didn't they notice the successful recent affordable 300mm PF lens, or the 200-500mm f/5.6E?

Actually, I do believe they were surprised by the demand for this lens. After all, long lenses (especially with >300mm focal length) usually don't sell by the dozen, especially not expensive primes. And the 500mm *is* an expensive lens, at least for most people.

Also making the PF lenses seems to take some time due to their optical construction.

Hermann

I'm pretty happy. Well worth the wait.

Attachments

• egret_RJE4061 copy.jpg
    egret_RJE4061 copy.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Teal_RJE3981 copy.jpg
    Teal_RJE3981 copy.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 201
I'm pretty happy. Well worth the wait.

Impressive. Are the photos full-frame or have they been cropped? Any other post-processing? I bought the 300 pf shortly after it hit the market and am very happy with it even with the more or less permanently attached TC1.4eIII.

Last edited:
They have been slightly cropped. D500 DX sensor. Lightroom adjustments for contrast although no sharpening. I'm pretty happy though. Nice bokeh for 5.6. I like the 300 PF too. This is just like it except 500mm.

They have been slightly cropped. D500 DX sensor. Lightroom adjustments for contrast although no sharpening. I'm pretty happy though. Nice bokeh for 5.6. I like the 300 PF too. This is just like it except 500mm.

Many thanks, your response pushes me that much closer to buying the lens. I too have a D500 and that’s the camera I would hook it up to.

Here’s a photo (shot in raw and heavily cropped and otherwise post-processed) taken with my D500/300pf/TC14EIII combo. I’m happy with the results but judging from your photos I suspect I would be happier yet had the photo been taken with the naked 500pf.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/32637466735/in/album-72157602221544709/lightbox/

Last edited:
At a Nikon roadshow today I had a play with one, plus most of the current Nikon lenses. Compared to the 500/4, much lighter in weight and a lot more compact. Excellent VR, fast AF, smooth manual focusing. Still very difficult to justify the price but if you have the money - recommended.

hsd mine a week now but weather and other things have stopped me getting out .
A couple of shots with 1.4x on . very happy so far .

Attachments

• 018_1388.jpg
    018_1388.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 018_1376.jpg
    018_1376.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
Nice shots, Les.

I hope someday I travel over to Europe and get a chance to see the Blue Tit and Great Tit. Are they curious, “pishable” and common birds like our Chickadees and Titmouse species in North America? They sure are more colorful and impressive.

Dave

I hope someday I travel over to Europe and get a chance to see the Blue Tit and Great Tit. Are they curious, “pishable” and common birds like our Chickadees and Titmouse species in North America? They sure are more colorful and impressive.

Yes, they are the counterparts of our parids and very like them in all respects except plumage.

Last edited:
this is our willow tit - near enough your chickadee.
This lens is getting better ! ( or is it me ;) )

Attachments

• 018_1470.jpg
    018_1470.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 191
I am so jonesing for a D500 with the PF500.

There's just no path forward for me with Canon.
I have a 7D that I've struggled with for years for it's terrible high ISO performance and mediocre focus tracking. The 7DII wasn't enough of an advance to warrant buying, IMO, and I'm done waiting for the 7DIII for whatever minor improvements it may offer.

The Canon 400 f5.6 has been a good lens but to get any more reach the cost goes up about a factor of 8!

I can see myself buying the PF500 f5.6 and a D500 to go with it and, though I wouldn't have thought I'd be writing this, jumping ship to Nikon.

Last edited:
I can see myself buying the PF500 f5.6 and a D500 to go with it and, though I wouldn't have thought I'd be writing this, jumping ship to Nikon.

I think now is a good time to be shopping for used Nikon DSLR's. Used full frame DSLR's mostly as people switch to the new mirrorless Z6/Z7. But if you watch you will find used D500's, too. Refurbished with 90 day warranty the price is down to $1400. People selling privately will let them go for less.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back