• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One for the crossword or pub quiz buffs (1 Viewer)

Hornbill works fine for me (better than Razorbill imo)! I did think about Hoopoe but couldn't get it to work in all honesty (although I didn't know about the Philly connection)!

Chris

Hornbill works fine for me (better than Razorbill imo)! I did think about Hoopoe but couldn't get it to work in all honesty (although I didn't know about the Philly connection)!

Chris

both I think. Hornbill for charge for Brass and Razorbill for Shred and invoice I think

57 - to weed is also to hoe...maybe you're supposed to get to "who hoe", and just make the leap...? Don't feel that click when you know you've got it correct though. Po is definitely a chamber pot as you say, hence po-faced (when presented with one...).

60 - like firecrest - fire is also what you do with the starting pistol at the beginning of a race. Then "riding along on the crest of a wave" etc.

wave crest?

yes see where you are coming from with that.

My thought was Roller. As in atlantic roller big wave out to sea ie starting a wave????

Hi Paul,

Yup, wave - crest I don't know where hill came from!

Roller works for wave I agree but then I'm not sure you'd need to add starting.

I like the po - gazunder angle and also Muso's weed - hoe but agree with him, none of it "clicks" for me - although I have nothing better! 3:)

Chris

Hi Paul,

Yup, wave - crest I don't know where hill came from!

Roller works for wave I agree but then I'm not sure you'd need to add starting.

I like the po - gazunder angle and also Muso's weed - hoe but agree with him, none of it "clicks" for me - although I have nothing better! 3:)

Chris

On reflection I think Firecrest works better than Roller

As for the last one Going to have to go with Hoopoe unless someone has anything better but as you everyone has said it doesn't "click" like the rest. Even the hard ones make sense once you know the answer but may have to admit defeat there.

I think everyone who had a go should be pleased with themselves.To be honest I thought it would take longer to get them all but you lot are good.

:clap::clap::clap:

Well done to all and thanks for taking part. I hope it provided some small amount of entertainment

If I can think any more up I will come back and post them.

New Cryptic

Paul, thanks for the previous quizzes, which I did enjoy - Scridifier, hope you are still about - here's one of mine. Definite answers for this, although you may not always agree with my reasoning. Hey ho. Have fun.

1. Altercation in a supermarket?
2. Sounds like a bawdy film series about boasting?
3. One of the Bond birds?
4. Riches, loudly, before measurement.
5. Babe before a mixed-up one.
6. Fashion guru outside Rick's carriage.
7. Three circles in a sauce heading east.
8. How cats drink milk at one side of the stage.
9. Born from an almond?
10. Seafood in the rye?
11. Mother's sister wearing Tommy Cooper's hat?
12. Coward loses his head.
13. How Communists judge an upcoming election?
14. Above us, mess about.
15. What you have left to sell before the peace symbol.
16. Say nothing and prance about.
17. Very fast taylor?

1 point for each correct answer.

Best

Ian

Hi Ian,
Never usually far away! Many thanks for the challenge and I echo your thanks to Paul! Not been up long but here are a few:

2) Carrion Crow
4) Goldfinch
7) Hoopoe (no doubt about it this time!)
8) Lapwing
9) Nuthatch
11) Pheasant
13) Redpoll
14) Skylark
16) Mute Swan

Will cogitate on the others over breakfast!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back