• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG II 8x42 VS Swarovski SV 8,5x42 (1 Viewer)

Just a question and I know that Brock has given some insights on this subject before which I can't find now: The serial number of my EDG is 300467. A pre-productionmodel tested had number 300003 but I ca'n't believe Nikon only made 500 pieces in 2 years? How does it work with these numbers? Is there an indication when my EDH has been built?

And how does it work with SW?

Marijn,

I do not know how the Nikon scheme works for the EDG but I can post some observations that may help Brock with his deciphering.

I just looked at three EDG II models, two of them are a 10X42 and the other is a 8X32.

The 10X42 models are 500XXX series and the 8X32 is 700XXX series, where the XXX is in the 500 range for one 10X42, the 400 range for the second 10X42 and the 400 range for the 8X32.

IE:
5005XX - 10X42 EDG II
5004XX - 10X42 EDG II

7004XX - 8X32 EDG II

Marijn,

Are both models EDG Is? I'm not sure if Nikon kept going with the serial #s from the I to the II version, or if they started the "II" with new numbers.

At $2K a pop, I wouldn't expect the EDG to be "selling like pancakes" since Nikon is still relatively new to this price segment, particularly now with the price $200-$300 price increases in this series.

The EDG got off to a bad start with the focuser fashion malfunction, not being sold in Europe due to the legal conflict with Swaro, and then being resurrected as the closed bridge "II". Lots of confusion with buyers about what was going on until recently with Mike Freiberg's comments.

Now the EDG seems to be back on track. It's getting rave reviews and is rated #1 on allbinos' 8x42 and 10x42 categories, not to mention dennis' many, many posts/threads on his beloved 8x32 EDG, the EDGs seem to be finally getting the respect they deserve.

It's also hard to believe that there have been less than 999 8x32 550xxx's sold since 2007 when they first appeared on the scene, but assuming the serial #s are sequential, and I can't imagine why that wouldn't be the case, unless the prism housings are made in advance and "stamped" with serial #s, as someone suggested, then there may still be 505s being sold with 504s and 550s as they are order picked willy nilly. However, that doesn't seem to be the case, though. When a new batch of 8x32 SEs arrive in the US, they are always 550s. I ask.

I think the many "like new" SE samples being bought gives the impression that more are being sold than are, when in reality, it's the same batch of SEs being passed around.

The same goes for the EDG. Many malfunctioning EDGs (except Lucky Bob's) were returned and replaced with EDG IIs, which were for one reason or the other (no doubt, the profitability of selling a bin worth twice what you paid is one of them) end up on the used market. Just check out SWFA's Website. Always some there.

This trend is mostly in the US where the EDG Is were sold and replaced by EDG IIs. So you see guys like dennis buying EDG Is for $750 and having them replaced with an EDG II worth $2,299.95. Given his penchant for flipping bins and the temptation to make a nice profit from the replacement, I'm still suspicious that all this raving about the 8x32 might be a slow "pimp," but the fact that he's held on to the EDG as long as he has is testimony to its excellence for reading DVD covers. ;)

Eventually those EDG Is and II replacement sales will level off and new batches will find themselves into the market.

The fact that Nikon makes less profit off the SE hasn't discouraged the company from making them or advancing the coatings, because the SE is considered an optical "standard". Some people own them just to compare to other bins, and have stated that on these forums.

With that kind of rep, the SE introduces buyers to the "Nikon family of optics". Maybe they will buy a Monarch as a gift, or buy a Premier or EDG if they want a premium roof themselves. Or they might even jump product lines and buy a Nikon camera like me.

The SE gets people talking about Nikon. So even if Nikon doesn't make a pretty penny on them, the marketing cachet the company gets from the SE series is probably worth it.

<B>

Bruce and Brock, thanks for trying but I'm not sure I understand:I have an EDG II 8x42 with the complete serial numer 300467. On Ebay there is one for sale with a numer like 300247. But does it mean that the 8x-series start with 300? Is there anything to say about the date when it was made in Japan?

"Thanks for your patience :)

Marijn,

Based on what I have personally observed and from what I read in your posts, I am "speculating" the following:

EDG II 10X42 serial numbers begin with 500xxx
EDG II 8X32 serial numbers begin with 700xxx
EDG II 8X42 serial numbers begin with 300xxx

I just checked eBay US and found 1) an EDG I 8X42 with the serial number of 300236 2) an EDG I 10X32 with the serial number 900110.

I could not find the eBay listing you mentioned to determine if it was an EDG I or II. The 8X42 serial number for the EDG I listing I found makes me think Nikon is using the same first 3 digits for both both the EDG I and the EDG II generations. If that is the case, then so far it looks like:

7X42 EDG I & II is 000xxx <Edited>
8X42 EDG I & II is 300xxx
10X42 EDG I & II is 500xxx
8X32 EDG I & II is 700xxx
10X32 EDG I & II is 900xxx

Hopefully some of the other EDG I and II owners will check their serial numbers and either confirm or correct the above and fill in the missing info on the 7X42.

I do not know about telling the manufacture date. Assuming I am correct in speculating Nikon stuck with the same first 3 digits per series when going from the EDG I to the EDG II, I wonder if they just continued with the next number in the sequence or created a break, such as to the next 100 series in the last three digits.

Marijin, is the 8X42 serial number 300247 you saw on eBay an EDG I or an EDG II? If it is an EDG II, then that indicates Nikon may have just continued with the next number in the sequence (or took a very small break) since the 8X42 I found was an EDG I with the serial number of 300236. This is assuming Nikon is issuing the numbers in sequence rather than associating them with a major component ( a possibility brought up by Brock).

The picture is of a Nikon EDG II box label (with the serial number edited to 700xxx). Maybe someone can figure out a manufacturing date from one of the labels. I do see the characters JAN. Does that mean January?

(Edit Comment: Included the 7X42 serial series based on Steve's post below, then sorted in sequence order.)

Attachments

• Box Label.jpg
    Box Label.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
EDG I 10 x 32s start with 900xxx. Mine is between 150 and 200. I got it in July 2010 along with the SLR at the tail end of the fire sale for $999.00 from Eagle Optics . They had one 7 x 42 left and a few 10 x 32s at that time. All the rest were gone. 10 x 32 is slow selling so the low number of the SN is probably a good indication that not many were sold in the USA.

Bob

The serial number on my 7x42 EDG I is 000146. Like Bob I got mine with the SLR and consider it one of my best "bang for the buck" purchases. Never a hint of a focus/diopter problem and as a matter of fact I much prefer the focus on my EDG too my other alphas (FL and Geovid HD).

Steve

8x32 EDG I (From EO during $999 sale. Returned for faulty diopter) serial # 700147
8x32 EDG I (Reconditioned from EO. Returned to Nikon for faulty diopter) serial # 700287
8x32 EDG II (Replacement for above from Nikon. Returned – faulty diopter) serial # 700430
7x42 EDG II (Replacement for above from Nikon) serial # 0001xx

Nikon replaced the first 8x32 EDG I with an EDG II but I sold that one and didn't record the serial #.

Tom

Last edited:
Thank you all for the clarfications, it's clear to me now :t: The one on Ebay is an EDG I indeed, I hope I will be excused.

Now further on the subject ;)

After a few days playing with both binoculars these points stick out:
For the optics I like the Swaro better. It's very close but I see a bit more contrast or the contrast sticks out clearer. Also at the beginning and end of day the SW gets the tiny advantage over the EDG but keep in mind they are as close as close can be.

Focusser: EDG clear winner: more than 2 times quicker and the smooth but precisely tensed feeling is getting me hooked. The quicker focussing really helps with fast flying birds or during migration: there is so much flying that
I constantly focus from close by to far away. With the SW I loose precious time.

Design: No advantages for either of them but the EDG rubber feels warmer and has a nice softness in it. The strap of the EDG is a bit elastic.

Still aiming for keeping them both. First lessons in trades: sell it if you can and no emotional attachment were both offended the second I had the SW

Marijin,

Overall, have you noticed any differences between the Swaro and Nikon in how each handles glare, reflections or stray light? I have not had any issues with my Nikons but I was curious if you have seen any differences overall.

Marijin,

Overall, have you noticed any differences between the Swaro and Nikon in how each handles glare, reflections or stray light? I have not had any issues with my Nikons but I was curious if you have seen any differences overall.

Just tried it at night by viewing at a lamppost:

Both of them were equally sharp and equally bright and I could see every detail of the outlining of the lamp itself. With both of them there was no difference between wearing glasses or not. The Sw gave a bit of reflections added to the view which I did not see with the EDG. Is this glare or something else?

With both of them I saw the exact outlining of the lamp itself without trouble.

8x32 EDG I (From EO during $999 sale. Returned for faulty diopter) serial # 700147
8x32 EDG I (Reconditioned from EO. Returned to Nikon for faulty diopter) serial # 700287
8x32 EDG II (Replacement for above from Nikon. Returned – faulty diopter) serial # 700430
7x42 EDG II (Replacement for above from Nikon) serial # 0001xx

Nikon replaced the first 8x32 EDG I with an EDG II but I sold that one and didn't record the serial #.

Tom

THREE 8x32 EDGs with faulty diopters! I hope Bob is remembering this time. ;)

I also hope the 7x42 is a "keeper". That's the one I'd like to buy.

<B>

THREAD BOOKMARKED!

Thanks to all for those serial #s. Best evidence yet of Nikon bin sequential numbering and it also reveals that Nikon kept the serial numbering the same when switching from the EDG I to II:

Nikon uses some of the same serial #s for the EDG that it uses for the SEs and EIIs, but mixes them up by changing them to different configurations with the EDG.

For example, the 500xxx series started the 8x32 SE and the 8x30 EII is used for the 10x42 in the EDG series. The 300xxx, used for the 12x50 SE, is used for the 8x42 EDG. The 000xxx was used to start the 10x42 SE back in 1995 and the 10x35 EII in 1999 goes to the 7x42 EDG.

I wonder which model is the best seller in the EDG series? Seems like it might be the 8x32, particularly after they discounted that model to $999 + a free $500 camera with the EDG I.

<B>

THREE 8x32 EDGs with faulty diopters! I hope Bob is remembering this time. ;)

I also hope the 7x42 is a "keeper". That's the one I'd like to buy.

<B>

Brock,

Tom's report raises more questions about the way Nikon handled the switch from EDG I to EDG II here in America. Remember, the EDG I was only released in the states.

Specific information about the way each diopter was faulty would be interesting and might help confirm some rumors as fact. Was the diopter wandering? Was the cap on the focus wheel becoming loose resulting in an inability to focus the binocular? Was the ridged rubber covering surrounding the focus wheel stretching and slipping?

The first EDG I returned was a $999.00 special so we know it was purchased when Nikon was unloading them to prepare for the EII. That was about the middle of 2010. Nikon replaced it with an EDG II. The SN was not recorded by Tom and he later sold it.

The second one was a reconditioned EDG I. (I wonder why it was reconditioned? Was there an indication on the binocular that it was reconditioned? Nikon has a code on the EII binocular to identify if one has been reconditioned--I have one. Warranty on these is 90 days.)

The third one was an EDG II (SN 700430-we assume it is a US EDG II SN) returned with a bad diopter-I assume it was a replacement for the reconditioned EDG I.

So there were Four 8 x 32 EDGs in Tom's Mix.:king: (Forgive me but I could not resist that!) 2 were EDG I's and 2 were EDG II's

Based on the 2 EDG I's Serial Numbers there do not seem to have been many manufactured. And it is a popular format. Of course they were expensive then but not as expensive as they are now!

Bob

Ceasar,

I will try to keep this as concise as possible.

I purchased the first EDG I (# 700147) from EO during the $999.00 sale that included the camera. The diopter began wandering to the “+” side after a few weeks. I returned it to Nikon.

Nikon replaced # 700147 with a new EDG II. I really disliked the ergonomics on the EDG II and sold them straight away. I did not record that serial #.

Using the proceeds from the above sale I purchased the factory reconditioned EDG I (# 700287) from EO. It did have a depressed dot after the serial number on the focus knob which indicated a factory reconditioned bin. The warranty was 90 days. I used that bin for 14 months and then the diopter began to wander to the “+” side. There were also issues with loosening armor on the body and the rubber cover on the focusing wheel stretching. I called Nikon and explained the situation and they told me to send them in.

Nikon replaced # 700287, the factory reconditioned EDG I, with a new EDG II (# 700430). This bin had a faulty diopter right out of the box. And again the diopter was wandering to the “+” side. I returned them to Nikon and expressed my frustration (to put it mildly!).

At this point I was done trying to get a working sample of an 8x32 EDG. I asked Nikon to replace # 700430 with a 7x42 EDG II and they agreed. Four months on and the 7x42 has not shown any indication of trouble.......... BUT...............who knows??............the diopter may start to wander (to the “+” side) tomorrow. I don't have a lot of confidence in the EDG right now.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back