• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 10x50 outside Swaro (1 Viewer)

RobMorane

Hey Everyone,

I have a pair of 15x56 SLC's, and would like to get a (cheaper) pair of good 10x50.

I don't want an "open bridge" so EL's are out, Zeiss is not doing 10x50 Conquest and I don't trust Leica (for personnal reasons), so what is left?
Meopta?

Any idea is welcome.
Thank You for your Help.

Thank you for the suggestion Watrobg.
I already tried them and despite of my love for Kowa, they didn't work for me.
One of the reason why I'd like to get 50mm.

....., so what is left?
Meopta?

Yes, definitely.
If it cannot be the Leica, for whatever reason, then Meopta is very good for quite a reasonable price (even if it is not an ED bino such as its bigger brother, the 12x50) and it is also relatively compact. Optically not comparable to the Swaro EL SV, of course, but about 1/3 of the price. The Swaro is hard to beat, the next best for me is the Leica, then comes the Meopta (there are actually not that many very good 10x50 on the market, and a number of them are porro and individual focusing, e.g. Fujinon or APM,so may not be what you are looking for).

Canip

Why not Leica?, If you say cheaper (than the SLC 15X56, I guess that rules out the SLC 10X56), I guess Meopta is the best option. The Leica 10X50 has been I think, the best configuration of their Trinovid/Ultravid line.

Andy W.

I've not looked through one myself, but if you're happy with your SLC maybe one of the 10x50 models (secondhand) might be worth a look?

I get confuse at Meopta descriptions. Those from Cabelas have HD in the description but regular Meopta stock from other places dont seem to specify HD. Are they the same?

I get confuse at Meopta descriptions. Those from Cabelas have HD in the description but regular Meopta stock from other places dont seem to specify HD. Are they the same?

See my interview with Milos Slany from Meopta for more details ( https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366451 ) but rest assured there is nothing lacking in the performance of the B1 Meoptas that are not marked HD. In any case Cabelas has disappeared due to the BassPro takeover so the Cabelas Meopta line has also gone.

Lee

See my interview with Milos Slany from Meopta for more details ( https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366451 ) but rest assured there is nothing lacking in the performance of the B1 Meoptas that are not marked HD. In any case Cabelas has disappeared due to the BassPro takeover so the Cabelas Meopta line has also gone.
I hadn't followed this story and don't know what the future holds, but "Cabelas" stores still seem to exist, and their website still shows (some?) Euro HD models in the latest ugly armor for sale. If this arrangement did come to an end, would Meopta be free to sell more products under their own name in the US?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back