• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk attacks dog (1 Viewer)

marcus

Hello
It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned this.
Yesterday morning I saw a news report on TV about how in Maryland, I forgot exactly where, a Chicquaqua, (how do you spell that? I forgot.) out in the front yard of it's masters home was attacked by a hawk and the hawk carried the little dog up a tree. But fortunately for the dog, it's owner, a 7 r. old girl, climbed up the tree and pulled her dog from the hawks talons. Her dog looked OK on the news but the girl's father said the her dog was in bad shape after what happened to it.

About two years, ago, a chihuahua was attacked in New York's Bryant Park by a peregrine falcon. The bird seemed to have confused it with a pigeon. The bird's nest was removed so that "New York's park users and their dogs might be safe." I think many New Yorkers detest pigeons so much, that they were favoring the falcon.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Pinewood said:
About two years, ago, a chihuahua was attacked in New York's Bryant Park by a peregrine falcon. The bird seemed to have confused it with a pigeon. The bird's nest was removed so that "New York's park users and their dogs might be safe." I think many New Yorkers detest pigeons so much, that they were favoring the falcon.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

chihuahua i thought you said a dog. No wonder the hawk was confused. i have seen bigger brighter rats.

Forest Knights said:
chihuahua i thought you said a dog. No wonder the hawk was confused. i have seen bigger brighter rats.

How true. Can't blame the poor hawk when we breed animals to look like their prey (especially those little teacup chihuahuas). A few New York City rats I've seen would probably whip a falcon or a hawk. I think the birds have decided on easier prey.

Forest Knights said:

I have seen some pretty big rats in New York. Once I saw one running along the subway tracks with a full bagel in its mouth. (No kidding.)

>>>>>>>
dendroica_john said:
I have seen some pretty big rats in New York. Once I saw one running along the subway tracks with a full bagel in its mouth. (No kidding.)
<<<

I always thought NY bagels were over-rated.

Of course, some of us that have not grown up in the States, or in front of a box with the Simpsons et al, don't even know what a bagel is! :)

Jos Stratford said:
Of course, some of us that have not grown up in the States, or in front of a box with the Simpsons et al, don't even know what a bagel is! :)

didn't the bagel originate in eastern Europe?

Here we are- first google of the working week...

"The bagel originated in Central Europe, probably in Poland. A 1610 document from Krakow mentions "beygls" given as a gift to women in childbirth..."

Last edited:
white-back said:
didn't the bagel originate in eastern Europe?

Here we are- first google of the working week...

"The bagel originated in Central Europe, probably in Poland. A 1610 document from Krakow mentions "beygls" given as a gift to women in childbirth..."

Well, learn something every day ...there it is, originated in the country next door to me and I still only have a vague idea what it is (a bread roll of some sort?). Mind you, I've never been a pregant woman, so perhaps that is good reason for my ignorance :)))

Jos, you can't beat a toasted New York onion bagel with cream cheese, tomato, and lox. A hell of a lot better than a chihuahua, that's for sure.

Actually, my opinion of raptors has gone down somewhat. I had no idea some of them had such bad taste!

-Adam

Jos Stratford said:

Come on Jos, there must be the Simpsons on a box where you are too, or how would you now about them? We have seen them nearly everywhere during our circumnavigation. In Langkawi, Malaysia, international yachties and tourists would gather at the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club at 6:00 p.m. every evening for their Simpson fix. :bounce: I never minded that. What really bothered me as a American travelling the world was the other show that airs worldwide.... :storm: :storm: :eek!: :brains:......Jerry Springer!!!

Doh! Forgot what I was going to write before I saw Jos's comment. This is probably something only Californians would get. The Peregrine may have been thinking, "Yo quiero Taco Bell."

Peregrinator said:
Come on Jos, there must be the Simpsons on a box where you are too, or how would you now about them?

Don't have a TV ..and never had one so far. Have seen the Simpsons on the odd occasion when at other peoples' homes (but don't recall any bagels) ...not sure if the Simpsons are on Lithuanian T.V., but wouldn't be surprised :bounce:

PS never seen a chihuahua here either :) What a sheltered life I lead!

Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
Don't have a TV ..and never had one so far. Have seen the Simpsons on the odd occasion when at other peoples' homes (but don't recall any bagels) ...not sure if the Simpsons are on Lithuanian T.V., but wouldn't be surprised :bounce:

PS never seen a chihuahua here either :) What a sheltered life I lead!

Well, I'm a huge dog lover, but I gotta tell you, you haven't missed much by not seeing a Chihuahua. ;)

Bagels. I can take them or leave them. I much prefer a "Kaiser" Roll. It's name comes from the germanic equivalent of Ceasar.

Cordially
Ceasar Robertus

Peregrinator said:
Well, I'm a huge dog lover, but I gotta tell you, you haven't missed much by not seeing a Chihuahua. ;)

Well, since you are a "huge" dog lover, do you prefer St. Bernards or Irish Wolfhounds over Chihuahua's or Scottish Terriers?
Bob

ceasar said:
Bagels. I can take them or leave them. I much prefer a "Kaiser" Roll. It's name comes from the germanic equivalent of Ceasar.

Cordially
Ceasar Robertus
Dear Ceaser,

I share your taste for my daily bread, especially as the New York bagel has become an inflated mutant, an old fashioned bagel on steroids. However, there is some thought that the kaiser roll's name came from the German word for cheese, Kase [with an umlaut over the a] The absence of this hard roll on my trips to the hinterlands, and even at the German Bakery in San Francisco, has been a deep disappointment to me. At least no one has made a "cinnamon raisin" Kaiser roll.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Bread is not enough. We demand circuses!

["The bagel originated in Central Europe, probably in Poland. A 1610 document from Krakow mentions "beygls" given as a gift to women in childbirth..."[/QUOTE]

ROTFL - in childbirth? What - to clamp down on with your teeth?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back