• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk attacks dog (1 Viewer)

ceasar said:
Well, since you are a "huge" dog lover, do you prefer St. Bernards or Irish Wolfhounds over Chihuahua's or Scottish Terriers?
Bob

I KNEW that was coming! ;)

It seems I started something funny stuff! Your comments about bagels and New York City rats really were good.
Pinewood, a Peregrine Falcon up there in NYC? Have you ever seen any of them?

marcus said:
It seems I started something funny stuff! Your comments about bagels and New York City rats really were good.
Pinewood, a Peregrine Falcon up there in NYC? Have you ever seen any of them?
Marcus,

I have not seen a peregrine in the city, but they have nests atop bridges and tall buildings, including a hospital on the East River.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

My Grandfather was Polish and I can tell you for sure that bagels originated in Eastern Europe, more specifically I think from Poland - we had them every Sunday for breakfast as a child. (not with cream cheese and salmon though!). When my grandfather died, my grandmother found a new 'male friend'. The biggest row I ever witnessed was over Bagels!! My grandmother insisting that what we were eating were bagels and the male companion insisting they were just bread rolls (and he wasn't even Jewish (no one argued with my Grandmother!) The best bagels in the UK Ive tasted were from Brick Lane in London.

If I were to have a dog in a roll (or bagel), I think I'd prefer a chihuahua than one of those awful tinned frankfurters! (Actually, I prefer wolfhounds but, as they say, I could never eat a whole one).

Nice to hear peregrines are in NY, seen several breeding pairs in my own City too.

Pinewood said:
Dear Ceaser,

I share your taste for my daily bread, especially as the New York bagel has become an inflated mutant, an old fashioned bagel on steroids. However, there is some thought that the kaiser roll's name came from the German word for cheese, Kase [with an umlaut over the a] The absence of this hard roll on my trips to the hinterlands, and even at the German Bakery in San Francisco, has been a deep disappointment to me. At least no one has made a "cinnamon raisin" Kaiser roll.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Bread is not enough. We demand circuses![/QUOTE

Arthur,
That's entirely possible. It's unlikely that a German Baker would name a lowly bun, no matter how tasty, after German nobility. He would keep them for his everyday customers. Kaiser rolls are excellent when eaten with lagerkase, or muenster, or limburger and onion, or a variety of wursts. Heaven forfend if they start making them with raisins. Although, on 2nd thought they might go very well with Peanut Butter.

Gut essen!
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back