• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go to see Waxwings in US (1 Viewer)

Every time I see a picture of a Waxwing I stand in aww. Yet I have never seen one in person. Can anyone in the US. tell me where I might go to catch a glimpse?

Art Schlaman
Downers Grove, Illinois USA

Aschlaman@comca said:
Every time I see a picture of a Waxwing I stand in aww. Yet I have never seen one in person. Can anyone in the US. tell me where I might go to catch a glimpse?

Art Schlaman

I've seen cedar waxwings on several holidays to the USA. At High island Texas, Cape May, etc, so try a coastal migration hotspot in April/May.

I found Cedar Waxwings to be (very) common birds in the northern US (MN, ND, SD, OH). I'd think in Illinois, it wouldn't be much different: summer is the best time. Learn their high, piercing call and you'll find them!
They are common on the Fermilab Grounds in Western Chicago, which should be quite close to you:
http://www.fnal.gov/ecology/wildlife/specs/Cedar_Waxwing.html
Bohemian Waxwing (which I find much prettier) is a whole other story...

I would suggest looking for likely habitat or generally good migration spots. The birds are quite common, and are often found in large flocks.

According to CLO's All About Birds, Cedar Waxwings:

* Breeds in open woodland, old fields with shrubs and small trees, riparian areas, farms, and suburban gardens.
* Winters in areas with fruit-bearing trees and shrubs, especially open woodlands, parks, gardens, and forest edges.

They like eating fruit, especially in winter, so keep an eye out for them in fruit-heavy areas.

Aschlaman@comca said:

Art Schlaman

Art, you're in the perfect area right now to see them over the next couple of months, take it you're capable of getting out (if handicapped, drop me a personal, we'll work something out). They're pretty common in a lot of places around Dupage county.

Jaeger in Hoffman Estates, IL (USA)

we've got em pretty good in ct. but they aren't as predictable as some of the other birds. I do see them a lot near cedars as their name would indicate.I know of one spot near some powerlines where I see them frequently. The sound they make is kind of quiet and usually when you find one there will be a good number of them. They aren't that shy either.
They will coninue their fixation of eating berries as you stand close by watching.

Last edited:
Aschlaman@comca said:

Art Schlaman

Had a colony of them back in early March here in south Jersey for a couple days up in my bradford pear tree out back just roosting as a group of ten. Zoomed in on them with my binos and they were beautiful birds ,very peaceful
and not at all intimidated. Did see them again a couple weeks ago but have'nt seen them since. :-C

Lou G

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back