• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

Rubia

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
1st Sept. Cool again but slightly more moths than night before, 44 moths of 20 species. Nothing new or exciting. A Chinese Character; still my favorite moth; White-point, Green Carpet, Snout, Garden Carpet and other expected individuals. Square-spot Rustic seems to be popular at the moment, along with Large Yellow Underwing and Agriphila geniculea. Fingers crossed the temperature rises and some new moths emerge.

Last night 2nd September. Low cloud/mist/rain, definitely a bit breezy to begin with. 125 of 12 species, all macros. Checked around 6:20 but too dark and wet so went back out at 7:00.

Feels very much same old, same old, although bit more variety than of late - first Least Underwing and Common Rustic agg. for a while. Not that exciting! 83 Large Yellow Underwing, 19 Flounced Rustic. A single geo - Common Carpet and 4 Angle Shades the most so far. Have to go back and update August thread.

Numbers and variety have definitely dropped off of late, but the nights have been on the chilly side. Trapped on 1st, just 29 moths of 11 species. Large Yellow Underwing the most numerous with 7, followed by Common Marbled Carpet and Square-spot Rustic on 5 & 4 respectively. Canary-shouldered Thorn the prettiest of the crop. Will trap again tonight, but I can already feel the temperature dropping out there, so might be another low yield

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpg
    IMG_5549.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 23
Numbers and variety have definitely dropped off of late, but the nights have been on the chilly side. Trapped on 1st, just 29 moths of 11 species. Large Yellow Underwing the most numerous with 7, followed by Common Marbled Carpet and Square-spot Rustic on 5 & 4 respectively. Canary-shouldered Thorn the prettiest of the crop. Will trap again tonight, but I can already feel the temperature dropping out there, so might be another low yield

Wind will be the issue here tonight, not sure I'll even have the light on.

Quick catch-up:

1st September (morning results that is) 29 moths of 10 species. 11 Flunced Rustics beat 7 Square-spot Rustics with a Dusky Thorn best of the rest.

2nd September: 45 of 11 species with Square-spot Rustic getting into its stride with a big 20 thrashing the 6 Large Yellow Underwings trailing in second. Brimstone for colour, Box Tree Moth and Rosy Rustic for some interest.

No trap last night.

John

Last night 3rd September - 53 of 9, including

22 Large Yellow Underwing
19 Flounced Rustic
1 Early Thorn (still the only thorn species)

3 micros - 1 Diamondback Moth and 1 Ringed China-mark were both new.

Quick catch-up:

1st September (morning results that is) 29 moths of 10 species. 11 Flunced Rustics beat 7 Square-spot Rustics with a Dusky Thorn best of the rest.

2nd September: 45 of 11 species with Square-spot Rustic getting into its stride with a big 20 thrashing the 6 Large Yellow Underwings trailing in second. Brimstone for colour, Box Tree Moth and Rosy Rustic for some interest.

No trap last night.

John
Whilst walking yesterday a Brimstone moth landed to one side of me, about 14:00 so definitely daytime. Is the Brimstone often on the wing during the day?

Whilst walking yesterday a Brimstone moth landed to one side of me, about 14:00 so definitely daytime. Is the Brimstone often on the wing during the day?

I don't think I've ever seen one out in daylight (others will now appear from all over to contradict me! :-O). It couldn't have been a Yellow Shell? - They often fly in daytime.

John

I don't think I've ever seen one out in daylight (others will now appear from all over to contradict me! :-O). It couldn't have been a Yellow Shell? - They often fly in daytime.

John

I've seen a number by day- they seem to be easily disturbed & take flight. last one by day was last month. Such a distinctive moth so no mistakes in ID.

I've seen a number by day- they seem to be easily disturbed & take flight. last one by day was last month. Such a distinctive moth so no mistakes in ID.

Pretty sure it was Brimstone, see attachment

Attachments

• SAM_0270_edited.jpg
    SAM_0270_edited.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 22
  • SAM_0272_edited.jpg
    SAM_0272_edited.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 13
03/09, a big improvement on last couple of traps. 85 moths of 28 species (I've still got one difficult one to go). Four garden ticks (two lifers); which always helps improve a night; Brindled Green, Mouse Moth, Toadflax Pug and the very lovely Feathered Gothic. Big numbers were 19 Sq-spot Rustic, 13 Agriphila geniculea, 10 Setaceous Heb Characters and 10 Common Wainscot. Better looking - Blood-vein, Oak Hook-tip, Angle Shades, White-point, Burnished Brass & Chinese Character.

4th September -

52 of 11, plus 2 micros. Checked late (8am) so may have missed a few random fliers I guess.

4 Geos - most in some time.

Db Twin-spot Carpet 1
Purple Bar 1- NFG
Brimstone 1
Double-striped Pug 1
Large Yellow Underwing 10
LBBY Underwing 1
Rosy Rustic 1
Set Heb Ch 3
Common Rustic agg 1
Small Sq Spot 1
Flounced Rustic 31 - fast becoming the new Large Yellow Underwing ...

Garden Rose Tortrix
Eudonia mercurella

Last edited:
Ran my trap last night/this morning as it looked the best night for a while, and also on the 1st. Combined catch of just 58 moths of nine species, and nearly all of them either Large or Lesser YUs. Finally got an Old Lady this morning NFY, #195.

Looking back at the year so far I am completely missing some normally standard moths and have had none of: any Argyresthia species and a few other micros inc Tortrix viridana, Buff Arches, Flame, Eyed or Lime Hawks, Least YU, Copper Underwing, Burnished Brass.

Steve

Ran my trap last night/this morning as it looked the best night for a while, and also on the 1st. Combined catch of just 58 moths of nine species, and nearly all of them either Large or Lesser YUs. Finally got an Old Lady this morning NFY, #195.

Looking back at the year so far I am completely missing some normally standard moths and have had none of: any Argyresthia species and a few other micros inc Tortrix viridana, Buff Arches, Flame, Eyed or Lime Hawks, Least YU, Copper Underwing, Burnished Brass.

Steve

All in bold, I'm missing too Steve and Least Yellow-underwing would be a tick whilst I've only ever had Buff Arches a couple of times in seventeen years here.

Copper Undwerwing is an odd one to be missing, I'm having plenty.

Steve

I've just had my first Least Yellow Underwing of the year in the trap this morning. Buff Arches were about the same as usual and at least one Lime Hawk-moth found the trap this summer. Copper Underwings are well down and I haven't yet had a Burnished Brass, normally regular.

Last night's trap included 18 Square-spot Rustics and Large Yellow Underwings. Apart from the Least YUW year-tick, a Snout was unusual for me.

John

The single, biggest drop in numbers of a single species for me is Common Marbled Carpet, usually common but I think I've had three all year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back