• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Been stuck in at the patch for three weeks now checking the gulls there, hoping for another Caspian Gull this year. Much on the blog about the birds seen so far, dealing with large gulls mainly, Argentatus Herring and Baltic Lesser Black Backed Gulls. Yellow-legged Gull the star attraction so far, biro sketches below..

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Also yesterday this lot done at Skeppsbron. A darktype Baltic Gull, 1st Calender. A 2nd Calender Agrentatus Herring and then a 1st Calender. Had a couple of biros with me on the day, though found them not suited to these birds, with large solid areas to fill in of the feathers, watercolour might be the best medium for these, have vowed to try that next...

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 51
A,ah, my prayers have been answered! I love these! For some reason there's never enough larids on BF so it's a double delight to see these beasts portrayed as well as this.Baltic Gull looks an interesting bird, indeed. I've seen 'em in Ethiopia but obviously never had the chance to study 'em. Gulls might not be everyone's cup of tea but when I see work as strong as this, filling up a full sheet, too, I want to rush out and sketch 'em. For me this group of birds have inspired some breath-taking art. Look at Martin Elliot's plates in The Handbook of Bird Identification - in my opinion the finest ever illustrations in any bird book.

Sketching Lbbg's the other week and even though they modelled themselves superbly well for me I still find drawing the head, eye and bill in proportion a real challenge. Now, which winter birding destination will provide me with some big boys? (!)

Russ

Am in love with these sketches Mr. Dalton! Just what it is all about!

You observe, record, and pimp beauty back into the World, from Nature's very own Cartel. With "wraps" like these, I would surely, soon, become a dependent addict...

Fab!

Eiders from Vaxholm yesterday, all juveniles, which are everywhere right now and rather confiding..

A single page of Hobby from this morning, had a super time watching for raptors, account now on the blog. Not done these justice at all, rather hard to get these wonderful birds right in flight.

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0437.JPG.jpg
    DSC_0437.JPG.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0441.JPG.jpg
    DSC_0441.JPG.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0445.JPG.jpg
    DSC_0445.JPG.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0447.JPG.jpg
    DSC_0447.JPG.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 73
Fab - the third page study is full of grace and focused energy. It's a beautiful, beautiful drawing. Hobby looks smart, too.

I'm with Tim on that third page. Always a pleasure to see. The only eiders have been so far off that even with a scope all I could see were little blobs.

Eiders from Vaxholm yesterday, all juveniles, which are everywhere right now and rather confiding..

A single page of Hobby from this morning, had a super time watching for raptors, account now on the blog. Not done these justice at all, rather hard to get these wonderful birds right in flight.

lovely stuff- the most firmly drawn of the three Hobbies looks absolutely bang-on: baffling how sometimes they look like sicklewinged assassins, other times compact and neat like this

I've had nothing more than a couple of quick glimpses of hobbies this year, I guess I've been in the wrong place! I love these flight sketches, they're bang on the money!

Mike

Great stuff, Alan. I love the Hobby sketches; you've captured these as near as damn it. I can identify with the eiders even more. The raptor is a species I seldom see at home , let alone have the oppo to sketch. In China I see 'em every day but on tour, of course, it's a definite no no!
Eiders are lovely studies, especially the preeners. Never sketched these and no doubt peculiar head and bill profile would prove to be very testing!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back