• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

any advice or suggestions

I am not sure of the composition, oh! a nice pint of your bitter please. I think this might work. Its going to be a loose flock of Brent many thanks , arthur

Attachments

• brent.jpg
    brent.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 266
Everone's gone quiet in your studio Tim.....

Given you time to paint more I hope?

I've just uploaded my barn owl in landscape painting here:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/128868/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
You can see from the landscape that the view is another on my holiday farm hideaway, same as the rookery pic I put up here earlier.

The snowy landscape is still in my mind so no doubt it will get done sometime in the future.

Woody

Woody said:
Everone's gone quiet in your studio Tim.....

Given you time to paint more I hope?

I've just uploaded my barn owl in landscape painting here:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/128868/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
You can see from the landscape that the view is another on my holiday farm hideaway, same as the rookery pic I put up here earlier.

The snowy landscape is still in my mind so no doubt it will get done sometime in the future.

Woody
Sorry Woody - the studio has been quiet for the past few days - I've been seconded into erecting a polytunnel and finishing off my latest article for Yorkshire Post. Managed to get some life-drawing done and have just gone through all the images I've missed in Gallery - Love the landscape, I've just come back from viewing that one - (thought you weren't a landcape painter - well you are!).
Arthur, that bitter will be flat now, let me get you a fresh glass - the brents worked really well. The composition is very good and brave to cut the birds up like that, very naturalistic. Perhaps a direction to follow?
I'll be starting a new piece 'on-line' so to speak as soon as I can get this next design job outtheway.

helo Birdpotter, not always,but a thin wash when working in acrylics lets me see if I have got the right size or position, nice pint of your best if you are in landlord

I stopped by a couple of times but it didn't seem like anyone was home. I figured Tim was out sketching. Any new ones? Oh... and I'll take another Islay, please.

Woody, I loved the barn owl piece. There is a nice depth to it and it reminds me a lot of where I live - the open fields divided by brush and trees. It is captured very well and I definately feel the sense of flight in the owl.

www.mathiosstudios.net

Beer for Arthur, Wee dram for Peter and a whole bottle for Elizabeth (how'did hubby get on?).
Fell into a barbed wire fence this evening - I was left impaled for ten minutes - my right hand (the 'good one') is very stiff. Hope it's not tetenus - eeek. I'd better have a quadruple vod and ton.
Sssscccheeeers!!!

Hubby did well and is just waiting for that call that will give him the yay or nay.
My son and I are down in Louisiana right now visiting my folks. I have seen more birds in my mother's backyard, just this morning, than I have seen in a very long time. Unusual ones too, for a backyard.
I will be going out one of these mornings to get some serious birding and hopefully sketching in. Maybe I will post something.
Keep an extra bottle 'round for me, just in case...

timwootton said:
Fell into a barbed wire fence this evening - I was left impaled for ten minutes
I'm guessing you didn't want to do that?

I hope you can still hold a pint steady, we wouldn't want you to spill beer on anything in the studio! I also hope it's not serious and your hand loosens up enough so you can keep enthralling and educating us with your paintings and sketches.

Thanks for the comments on my barn owl landscape, I'm feeling encouraged to do more along the same lines, maybe something other than a barn owl next. I've just sold the rookery painting so I'll have a southern comfort (later) and raise my glass to you lot who were so positive about it.

Cheers everyone!

Woody

ouch!

Feeling very sorry for myself today - my right hand looks like a bunch of sausages and feels very sore - poor little me! Typing is a really painful chore (so I hope my effort is appreciated ;) ) - Anyway on with the story . . .
Here's a piece I've just reclaimed from a local tack-shop who had it on display - it depicts Sally's favourite heavy horse (after Tessa, our Clydesdale) on a typical misty Yorkshire morning. Attended my drawing group on Monday and this was possibly the best effort although some of the quicker line drawings have a certain something. A drawing of short-eared owl and a colour sketch painting of short-eared owl.
Correct woody - I did not want to end up "a*se o'er t*t" via barbed wire fence - the worst thing was I couldn't get off it - I had several barbs in by hands and I was 'hooked' - some barbs in my belly and some in my ribs - great fun! Every time I moved I got more barbs in me until I finally managed to roll off and the blood started gushing - eeek!
Great news about the rookery - but I'm not in the least bit surprised - it's ace.
I'll join you in a wee while (medicinal, of course!)
Cheers.

Attachments

• B&Wowl.jpg
    B&Wowl.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 246
  • ModelSit.jpg
    ModelSit.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 235
  • S-Eowl.jpg
    S-Eowl.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 283
  • HandsomeLad1.jpg
    HandsomeLad1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Oh Man Tim! These injuries sound much worse than what you first led us to believe.
I really hope you aren't too injured and I hope your recovery is swift, but, and I hope others are just as curious as I am, how the heck did you fall into a barbed wire fence? Was there anyone else around to help? I am getting an image of you flailing around on a fence getting deeper and deeper into trouble. Do you have your shots?

How long ago did you paint the horse painting? The light (not the flash at the top) is really well done. And the last one, the owl, is lovely. Just another fantastic example of getting an image across with the minimal amount of brushstroke and detail work. Very nice.

I really hope your injuries heal fast and don't effect your daily life much.

Best
Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth - our property is on a hillside and I want to take down all of the barbed wire and replace it with post-and-rail, but it's a huge task (and very expensive) but it is a major priority (problem is we have 6 paddocks over approx. 4 acres). I managed to fall onto the fence from off a 4 foot high embankment - I was on rough ground and tripped so I went with some force - my hands straight in front to break the fall and - well guess the rest - I end up with wire in my hands and my head in the mud in the next field. But don't worry I'll live - but I can't hold a pencil at the moment. Perhaps I've just got enough grip for a glass . . . . .?

timwootton said:
Thanks Elizabeth - our property is on a hillside and I want to take down all of the barbed wire and replace it with post-and-rail, but it's a huge task (and very expensive) but it is a major priority (problem is we have 6 paddocks over approx. 4 acres). I managed to fall onto the fence from off a 4 foot high embankment - I was on rough ground and tripped so I went with some force - my hands straight in front to break the fall and - well guess the rest - I end up with wire in my hands and my head in the mud in the next field. But don't worry I'll live - but I can't hold a pencil at the moment. Perhaps I've just got enough grip for a glass . . . . .?

Geez...I am cringing for you right now...

B :) B :) B :) And cheers for the 1000th post! I think Matt has the right idea about the straw.

I've been admiring everybody's work silently from the BG for sometime and enjoying your conversations but at this point I need to make a shy appearance to congratulate you all for those wonderful paintings and... to congratulate you, Tim, on your 1000 posts and to wish you a quick recovery of your wounds. To read about your "accident" had given me goose bumps! Cheers everybody!

Marian Alvarez said:
I've been admiring everybody's work silently from the BG for sometime and enjoying your conversations but at this point I need to make a shy appearance to congratulate you all for those wonderful paintings and... to congratulate you, Tim, on your 1000 posts and to wish you a quick recovery of your wounds. To read about your "accident" had given me goose bumps! Cheers everybody!
Hey there young lady - you can come in and pull up a chair anytime you like (I won't force-feed you any more alcohol if you don't want it! ;) )
And don't worry about me - I'm a tough old boot. (I just cry like a baby, that's all).
Cheers - Mine's a lager with a straw - cheers Matt, Elizabeth.

timwootton said:
Hey there young lady - you can come in and pull up a chair anytime you like (I won't force-feed you any more alcohol if you don't want it! ;) )
And don't worry about me - I'm a tough old boot. (I just cry like a baby, that's all).
Cheers - Mine's a lager with a straw - cheers Matt, Elizabeth.

As always Tim, Lovely work. Im running out of descritive words such as stunning, beautiful etc.!! SE Owl black and white is really nice...

Hope the hand heals soon and glad no serious damage done!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back