• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird House Material Advice (1 Viewer)

Swampworks

General question about safe materials for bird houses. I re recently replaced much of my wooden fence. The old wood is 15+ years old. I'm sure it was originally treated and am wondering if it might be safe to use to build bird houses from. I know recently treated wood is not safe but just wondering if the danger is gone by now.

dont risk it. cca treatment used to include arsenic, these days other pesticides and fungicide. even stains and paints give off fumes for ages especially where confined.
when i was learning carpentry i was taught that some woods themselves are bad for health so stick to cypress and pine. you may find offcuts of cypress for siding (weatherboards/cladding) cheap enough if available where you are. your local varieties are slightly different to northern cypress so check for toxicity with merchants and use dust mask anyway.

Last edited:
aye and i forgot cedar. did parts of my my house in it, it doesnt rot and only some minor shrinks and splits in full Aussie sun so would be fine for birdhouses. goes a lovely grey which would be good neutral colour and camouflage

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back