• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto car window mount system (1 Viewer)

Ribbon

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent car window mount system to carry my Swaro ATX 85. I use a Manfrotto tripod and head for outside the car. So something to click onto without changing the mounting plate would be perfect.

Are there any recommendations for a head wich is sturdy enough to support my scope, but not to heavy for my car window?

Cheers.

Thank you Maroon Jay. The 243 was pretty easy to find here in Europe, but the 494RC2 was a different story. I luckily managed to find a Dutch shop which had one in stock.

When searching for this set i also came across the 234RC monopod head. I'm also going to try that one on the 243. I will let it know when i've compared them.

Cheers,

Robbin

Thank you Maroon Jay.
When searching for this set i also came across the 234RC monopod head. I'm also going to try that one on the 243. I will let it know when i've compared them.

Robbin,

The 234RC will not work in conjunction with the 243. It only has a tilt function, which is all you need with a monopod, but on a window mount you will have to rotate the car ;).
Btw, I think trying to use a window mount with an angled scope is going to be rather uncomfortable. For this application most people favour straight scopes.

John

Robbin,

The 234RC will not work in conjunction with the 243. It only has a tilt function, which is all you need with a monopod, but on a window mount you will have to rotate the car ;).
Btw, I think trying to use a window mount with an angled scope is going to be rather uncomfortable. For this application most people favour straight scopes.

John
Why not the window mount to the window, and then your Manfrotto 3 way fluid head on top of that. Yes a bit bulky and fiddly but it means your 'e utilising a panning head that is in your kit.

Robbin,

John

Thanks for mentioning this. I did not think about that.

This is the shop where i ordered the combination: http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/manfrotto-car-window-pod-234rc-243
They're offering it as a car window pod, so i thought it could be the thing i'm looking for...

Well i'm just going to try some things out. Long live return policies. ;)

Now i'm placing my scope and tripod between the car door and the front seat when i want to look without leaving the car. I can rotate the oculair part of my scope so it stands 'straight' when scanning horizontaly. This works now and hopefully it will work also when using a window mount system. Can't do without a bit of trial and error i guess...

@PYRTLE
I'm using a rather heavy 3 way head. Apart from the fact that i have to unscrew it from my tripod every time, it's just to heavy for my car window i think.

Robbin,

You could use the 234RC with the the 243 if you fitted a Manfrotto 627 Basic Panorama Adaptor between the two of them. Alternatively, there have been other recommendations on the forum for window mounts with built-in pan and tilt heads, and you could fit a Manfrotto 323 Quick Release Adaptor to one of these.

John

Look here for several car-window-solutions. You can use your head either.
I had bought the small manfrotto clamp for the window. But my window is not straight over a long enough line for secure contact, so I had to took back the seat to an uncomfortal position. Please check this issue with your car. Personally I find a strait-through scope far more comfortable in a car than a angled scope, also if you can turn those scopes around the axis.

good decision
Manfred

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In the meantime i tried 3 options. What works best for me is the Manfrotto 391rc2 three way head with the 243 window clamp. Sturdy but not to heavy and omnidirectional.
The angled scope is no problem for me. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181231-165210_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181231-165210_Gallery.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 175
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back