• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I really want a Kowa TSN-883..but. (1 Viewer)

Cambsbirder

Hi guys! Having read so many amazing reviews of the Kowa 883, I've pretty much made my mind up that it will be my next spotter. All that's left for me to do is to try one out. Can you guys recommend any other scopes for me to try that are around that price range that compete with the Kowa?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Obvious contenders for the Kowa would be Swaro ATX 85 and Meopta Meostar S2 82. Good examples of these three should be close enough optically that the choice is a matter of taste, e.g. what focus mechanism or zoom range you like better...

Joachim

Hi guys! Having read so many amazing reviews of the Kowa 883, I've pretty much made my mind up that it will be my next spotter. All that's left for me to do is to try one out. Can you guys recommend any other scopes for me to try that are around that price range that compete with the Kowa?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

We've had our Kowa 883 for a few years and I don't for one minute regret buying it. We compared it to the Swaro mentioned here and there wasn't really a great difference. The man at In Focus arranged for us to test both at Martin Mere from whence we settled for the Kowa. You can't go wrong with either of these. I have no experience of the other one mentioned. Each time I use it I want to step back and say "Wow!" I love it.

Sandra

Good advice...I'll add the reason I use Swarovski optics almost (almost ;) ) exclusively these days is their incredible parts and warranty dept.
Example...last Friday I dropped the front cover from my ATX 85mm objective and the part broke upon hitting the tile. I immediately called Swarovski and explained the situation.
Yesterday I was pulling the expedited part out of my mailbox. All gratis, of course. And I live very remotely.

One of the finest companies in the world, and their optics aren't too shabby either...

Good advice...I'll add the reason I use Swarovski optics almost (almost ;) ) exclusively these days is their incredible parts and warranty dept.
Example...last Friday I dropped the front cover from my ATX 85mm objective and the part broke upon hitting the tile. I immediately called Swarovski and explained the situation.
Yesterday I was pulling the expedited part out of my mailbox. All gratis, of course. And I live very remotely.

One of the finest companies in the world, and their optics aren't too shabby either...

Hi,

I first missed the words "front cover" and thought they just fedexed you a new objective module just like that... and since it was Swaro, I was only a bit astonished...

But yes, Swaro service tends to be on the upper end of generous - but otoh, one pays a premium for it at the cashier...

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back