Thread: Lothian Birding
View Single Post
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 23:10   #7
markgrubb
Leading a life of quiet desperation

Back down at Musselburgh at first light for a couple of hours pre-work. Parked at the mouth of the river. Good start-there were 8 pale bellied Brent Geese at the river mouth(2 looked like youngsters) and an adult Med gull. For the second visit in a row a kingfisher was hopping alog the river wall

The real pain in the arse at the moment is that Scottish Power are moving ash from the main active lagoon to the far away one-IIRC this did not happen until into the New Year previously. They have also fenced off half of the sea wall path and a large dumper truck thunders by every 30 seconds. I guess the noise and disturbance means there is less chance of finding good birds feeding in the seeds around the lagoon-shorelark(though one appeared v briely last month), snow and lapland buntings all appear here. The waders seem more edgy. I tried to count the oyks and I will either give a medal or section anyone that can count these birds properly-a blackhoppingbadmorphingbadassedmass-well I counted and like in the WEBS reports confidently came to 1312.

Down to seawatch. The dumper trucks and the 6 foot fence somewhat spoilt the "at oneness with nature" of the sunny morning and the Zen moments of tuning into good birds-however a RTD was diving only 15 metres out- best moment of the day. And after 2 solitary long tailed ducks in the last 2 weeks 7 in a small flock were nice to see. Along with the usual suspects

Arrived at the scrapes just in time to see 500 golden plover arrive and then be put up by a peregrine. They really sparkled in the low am sun. And then time for work

Off in the am to the Aberdeen BF bash-the one decent bird in Lothian at present is an American Golden Plover-guess what Aberdeenshire has to offer-still it will be a delight to be shown round Girdleness et al by Andrew Whitehouse and meet up with other BF members

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation