• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Florida in November (1 Viewer)

James

I'm losing it!
Hi all you experts.

We are birding Florida for two weeks in early November and would welcome information. We would like to see as many species and different environments as possible rather than chase rare birds. We are mobile and not restricted to any base so willing to put in the miles.

Where are the MUST DO places at this time? We have the Birders Guide to Florida by Bill Pranty so if it is in here a reference will do and we can look up the maps etc.

Any help gratefully received!!!

James

James,
Just to give a few suggestions:
Sanibel Island and Ding Darling refuge; Loxahatchee NWR; the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine (for close ups of herons / egrets); Merrit Island.
Janine13 has posted some good summaries on this site for birding the Miami area. And Grousemore spent lots of time birding there last winter so would have some really good suggestions.
Other resources would be any of the Florida Auduban chapters and the Great Florida Birding Trails.
And November is one of the best times to visit! Have a good trip.

Last edited:
Must see spots include the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas, Everglades National Park, Ding Darling, Corkscrew Sanctuary, Archbold Biological Station, Wakodahatchee Wetlands... and thats just the south, which is what I am most familiar with. As Dave mentioned I have posted a couple of summaries, I will be posting more as time permits. You can PM me and I can give you my number, if I am free I would be happy to accompany you to some south florida sites.

Sorry I didn't see your request earlier,James.
The main sites have been well covered above,but if I can help with any specific info,please ask/PM.
I'd reiterate Dave's point about the Great Florida Birding Trail;info can be downloaded from the website and is very good for directions to sites in Florida.

www.floridabirdingtrail.com

Grousemore said:
Sorry I didn't see your request earlier,James.
The main sites have been well covered above,but if I can help with any specific info,please ask/PM.
I'd reiterate Dave's point about the Great Florida Birding Trail;info can be downloaded from the website and is very good for directions to sites in Florida.

www.floridabirdingtrail.com

Thanks Grousemore

I will follow up this website

Regards

James

While you are visiting Florida if you are mobile, don't forget that there's more to the state than just the Southern part. There are some great birding spots up the coast on the East - St. Augustine area and Ft. Clinch State Park - as well as on the Panhandle St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. On the west coast, in St. Petersburg you want to get to Ft. De Soto. Also in the center of the state - you want to get to Joe Overstreet Landing for Whooping Cranes, Lake Okeechobee area, and Polk County are great birding spots too.

Many thanks Jawillia

Do you have more details of the Whooping Crane sight and is early November OK for them?
Would love to see some.

James

Joe Overstreet Landing is the best place to see the Florida resident Whooping Cranes. Since these birds are resident November would be fine (although the migratory Whooping Cranes that have been introduced will also be in Florida at that time as well). To get to Joe Overstreet Landing - From US 192 in St. Cloud (near Kissimmee), turn south on CR 523 (Vermont Ave), which becomes Canoe Creek Road. After about 20 miles, turn onto unpaved Joe Overstreet Road. It is 5.4 miles to the end of the road and the small county park. You will also have a chance to see Caracaras, Sandhill Cranes, Snail Kites, Ibis, Limpkins and more there or near there.

Hi James, good advice from jawillia there and I'd add Bald Eagle and Northern Harrier to the list for Joe Overstreet.

Another good site nearby (10 mins or so) is Three Lakes Water Management Area...directions are on the FBT website linked above.I've had great views of Bachman's Sparrow and Red Cockaded Woodpecker there, along with many other species.

If you get to North Florida, try the St. Marks NWR. Mid Oct to last Nov is also Monarch tagging time. Collecting is done before daylight while they are roosting and tagging is done just after daylight. Birding is also very good in the refuge. I plan to try my hand at digiscoping after the tagging each week.

Regards,
Mike

See photos of butterfly tagging

Attachments

• Tagging_resize.jpg
    Tagging_resize.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Checking_resize.jpg
    Checking_resize.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Cluster 2_resize.jpg
    Cluster 2_resize.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Tagged_resize.jpg
    Tagged_resize.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Tagging process_resize.jpg
    Tagging process_resize.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 254
Fantastic,

Thanks one and all. Butterfly tagging? - you learn something new every day on this web site!!!

James

Hey James,

What with the latest flurry of hurricanes and stuff, many refuges and parks have been closed because of damage. It might be a good idea to check before you visit.

Thanks Janine

You sure have had a rough year this time round. Is it possible that as well as all the devastation they actually blow IN some interesting birds?

James

Yeah there have been plenty of new county records for the landlocked counties- terns, frigatebirds, godwit, etc. Perhaps Ivan will carry up something interesting from the caribbean!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back