• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Probably the last post and Flickr photo as all photos will be deleted this week due to changes at Flickr. Will go out with this fine male Black-Redstart at St Ives takentoday; surely a potential breeder if a female turns up.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140874789@N04/45646836615/in/album-72157677252771088/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140874789@N04/32687424848/in/album-72157677252771088/

Hi Matt,
I assume that your photos can no longer be seen at Flickr? (which is a shame). Do you intend to have them hosted somewhere else instead?

I also need to speak to you about getting you involved in our new WhatsApp group for Bird News in Cambs.... hopefully I'll see you at GW sometime soon to tell you about it....

Mark; Flickr photos will be randomly removed by Flickr very soon as I won’t be continuing with the locked out old account.
I have just deleted the 2016-2018 account but old linked photos may or may not be there. You can only keep 1000 free ones now.
I can’t access the old account it seems so they will disappear in date order.

However; once Flickr allow log in to other than Yahoo accounts I intend going for the Flickr Pro version that will cost @£50 per year
In time I will then collect up the ‘good’ photos from my archives and re- post in full resolution. Better video will also be possible hopefully though not sure if 4K will be allowed; I use this format now on the DSLR through the 400/800mm.

Not sure what a WhatsApp is; is it related to a Facebook... or worse, a Twitter?
Nancy’s Cafe hotline was far simpler....

Last edited:
Not sure what a WhatsApp is; is it related to a Facebook... or worse, a Twitter?
Nancy’s Cafe hotline was far simpler....

Thanks for the update on the situation with Flickr.

WhatsApp is basically a platform for free text messages. It works really well as a platform for group messaging too, including sending photos for free as well(subject to phone connection and data etc). We have just under 100 of the most active Cambs birders now on the group, and more people are joining each day. You simply need a Smart phone (iPhone, Samsung etc) to host the WhatsApp app. I'll show you when I see you next.

Thanks for the overview; I would be interested to know what proportion of the 100 members actively post news onto the paid services that ‘we’ fund to give us national and local news (RBA in my case). Does this mean that these services will go out of business now? I hope not now that the the die-hards have their new high tech pagers.
I’ll have a look at the App to see what is needed.
Thanks

Thanks for the overview; I would be interested to know what proportion of the 100 members actively post news onto the paid services that ‘we’ fund to give us national and local news (RBA in my case). Does this mean that these services will go out of business now? I hope not now that the the die-hards have their new high tech pagers.
I’ll have a look at the App to see what is needed.
Thanks

Fear not, RBA and Birdguides are both part of the 'community', so they get the news and therefore everyone benefits. The advantage with WhatsApp is you can ask for updates, directions, see photos etc.

Thanks for the update on the situation with Flickr.

WhatsApp is basically a platform for free text messages. It works really well as a platform for group messaging too, including sending photos for free as well(subject to phone connection and data etc). We have just under 100 of the most active Cambs birders now on the group, and more people are joining each day. You simply need a Smart phone (iPhone, Samsung etc) to host the WhatsApp app. I'll show you when I see you next.

Mark
Flickr - update for those interested in photography or use a long lens ...

I have set up a new account without Yahoo which is a relief!
I will now be able resume posting links to photos of interesting birds at Grafham or ‘Huntingdonshire’.
In time I will re-post a selection of the older Grafham rarities in full resolution. Ideally viewed on a high quality monitor.

Regarding the WhatsApp - are you able to moderate ie delete the dog!

The RSPB have released the following;

"More observers are now trying to see the flock of cranes on there arable feeding grounds, which is understandable given how attractive they are. However, we are already getting concerning feedback from the farmer where the cranes feed and local residents (who have already received there first rudeness from a birdwatcher, which is totally unacceptable and shows a complete lack of awareness of there surroundings).

These birds rely on the goodwill of the farming community now and even more so in the future as the population continues to expand.

This is a request to refrain from trying see the birds away from the Ouse and Nene Washes. They are a common and regular sight now, still exciting, but still in need of sensitivity around observing and reporting.

Also the nesting season is almost upon us, so please do not report pairs (or single adults!) of this species!"

Sadly, so far this request has been ignored by the news service providers, who continue to report these birds. Lets hope that the birds welfare starts to take preference soon.

Interesting to read this; maybe they need to speak to the news providers?
The only issues I observed were local dog walkers disturbing the cranes and swans ; should signs be erected in these areas like they do in Australia at wader roosts with a fine if ignored. Having remained in the car virtually all day all photos were taken carefully to avoid any disturbance.

Interesting to read this; maybe they need to speak to the news providers?

The RSPB request was posted on Cambirds group. IMHO, news providers are quick to glean news from these groups, but often chose to ignore requests like the one from the RSPB. They have their reasons (which I won't go into here).

The point I was aiming for, is that the farmers are supporting the Cranes by leaving a food source for them, and it would be a shame for this to end (dog-walking may be disturbing the Cranes, but the birds keep coming back, presumably because of the freely available food source).

My post wasn't aimed at you Matthew (I know you'd be very sensible in your approach), but more to widen the net of this RSPB request.

Last edited:
I see RBA are still posting precise details so out of town folk will continue to visit the location. It is a spectacular sight and maybe one day we can have whole communities involved with the cranes as in Japan. Gatherings of 25,000 or more birds! I will add a couple of photos of such a location.

A day searching for the Great Grey Shrike at Grafham village area. Apparently seen at around 11:00 near Grafham village Hall while I was nearby. Searched the area following the report but no sign.
Drake Scaup from Plummer carpark at Grafham Water late pm. Hope reports are posted tomorrow.

A day searching for the Great Grey Shrike at Grafham village area. Apparently seen at around 11:00 near Grafham village Hall while I was nearby. Searched the area following the report but no sign.
Drake Scaup from Plummer carpark at Grafham Water late pm. Hope reports are posted tomorrow.

damn, I used to live opposite the hall, haven't seen a Great Grey Shrike for a year.
H

Great Grey Shrike: Grafham Village -Ellington Hill bridleway crossing 08:15 9 Feb
Finally caught up with it today
It was in the roadside hedge just north of the bridleways on the east side out of the wind. Soon lost it and it may have headed east along the bridleway.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back