• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (1 Viewer)

Just started a trip in the Philippines. On Palawan right now. Picked up 24 lifers so far (in roughly 24 hours), the most recent of which was Oriental Hobby hunting for swiftlets at the Underground River.

Little trip to the Balkans and got four new ones, the last of which being a great reed warbler in Lake Ohrid, in North Macedonia (or the Former Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia perhaps).

Attachments

• 32930321417_af185a8d87_c.jpg
    32930321417_af185a8d87_c.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 30
Prothonotary warbler was #364 for me, at the Fort Worth Nature Center. Uncommon in Tarrant County, but a few seem to reliably breed at this particular location. I listened to one song off and on for about an hour before he finally showed himself.

Azure Tit in Belarus 23.05.2019 was new for all my relevant lists - 5013 World, 675 WP, 525 Europe.

Then Greater Spotted Eagle the same afternoon was 526 for Europe.

Belarus is an under-birded country. No visa needed for normal length trips, loads of habitat variety, fantastic road network, and the cleanest/tidiest country I have ever visited - puts England to shame.. We saw over 130 species in just three days, and that included about 50 that are not ones you have much chance of seeing in the UK. APB-Birdlife will organise tours to fit what you want.

And vodka is literally cheaper than water, at airport prices anyway. Half a litre of vodka with a Mallard on the label 2.50 euros at Minsk, water £2.19 at Gatwick.

Steve

Updating from the Philippines: I'm up to 150 lifers for the trip now. This morning's latest was Rufous-crowned Bee-eater in Subic.

And for those wondering, we got Philippine Eagle - a pair of them at Mt. Kitanglad.

Updating from the Philippines: I'm up to 150 lifers for the trip now. This morning's latest was Rufous-crowned Bee-eater in Subic.

And for those wondering, we got Philippine Eagle - a pair of them at Mt. Kitanglad.

Update: Finished the tour with a few Green Racket-tails for #151.

Now on to Taiwan for a couple endemic targets.

Woke up at 4 am yesterday to make the 3-hour drive down to Balcones NWR in the Texas hill country, where my targets were the black-capped vireo and golden-cheeked warbler, the latter of which is the only bird to breed exclusively in my gigantic state of Texas. I found 4 GCWA, including 2 juveniles, which is always nice to see for an endangered species. I dipped on the vireo, so that one may have to wait for next summer.
A Swainson's warbler had been seen in my area of north Texas, rare for our region, and I was able to get good looks at it singing this morning.
#365/366 total for me, all new ABA area, and I now have 36 warblers in Texas. I never thought this hobby would be so rewarding (and addicting) when I started listing 3 years ago! I probably won't add many more new birds the rest of the summer, outside of a non-birding camping trip to Lassen Volcanic NP, where I hope to add maybe some woodpeckers and flycatchers. I'm hoping to get up to 400 in the ABA region by the end of next year.

Baikal Teal at last! Thought I'd missed my chances when it overflew Northumbs from Yorks straight to Lothian, but it came back today to East Chevington to make amends o:) o:) o:)

Attachments

• IMG_7870.jpg
    IMG_7870.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 25
Southern Fulmar this morning, from the Australian mainland! :D

A strong southern front last week has pushed them closer to Australia than they would normally be, sightings most days of one or more individuals, and a number of beach washed birds have been found too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back