• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10 x 42 SE (1 Viewer)

I agree the HG is a mid range glass, if that compared to the SE, so I would say no. What I can tell you is that I bought an SE 10X42 earlier this year and the previous owner had sent his in for new eyecups in early 2018, they have the parts make no mistake, it really depends who you speak with. Anyhow, his SEs 10X42 were sent back good as new. Try e-mailing to Nikon list the part # and say they are for an old superior E 10X42 binocular, see what happens.

Andy W.
This person who got the new eyecups apparently sent his binoculars in for service, something I am reluctant to do unless and until the old ones become completely unusable. I emailed Nikon and here is their answer:

Response from Timothy W.
That part is not available.

All eye cup repairs must come in to service. This will be covered under the warranty. You do not need the sales receipt or warranty card.

For Nikon Service information, please see:

Title: How do I get my Nikon product serviced?
URL: https://repair.nikonusa.com/en/ProductEntry

Sigh. Like I said, Nikon is not going to get a lot of points with me for its customer service. When I needed some rubber objective cover replacements on a much cheaper pair of Bushnell binoculars a few years ago, Bushnell threw several replacements in an envelope and I received them in a few days.

I emailed Nikon service dept. in UK earlier this year and asked for replacement eyecups for my SE 8x32. They posted them to me but they weren't cheap; about 19 euro I think (although that included international postage to Ireland). Still, a small price to pay to keep the sublime SE's going another decade. If the eyecups had been unavailable, I would have been happy to fashion a pair out of an old bicycle inner tube...very easy to do if you cut two small cylindrical pieces from the tube and then do a bit of folding.

Last edited:
One of these days, somebody will figure out how to 3D print brand new rubber eyecups for all of us old E, EII, and SE users. And there will be much rejoicing!

In the absence of being able to get these replacement eyecups, there are substitute measures available. For example, on ebay one can find Chinese-made microscope eyecups. One of the sizes available seems right for the SE eyepieces. It is, for better or worse, a "winged" type eyecup, which I personally do not prefer (not compatible with wearing glasses, in my experience). I suppose one could trim it with a sharp knife. Also, I have come across references to the use of "rubber foam" as a material for making one's own piece to create eye relief on a binocular eyepiece.

Necessity being the mother of invention, sure, there are ways one can keep one's binoculars functional in the absence of the availability of the actual replacement part. I would still rather have the "real" piece, as there is something to the joy of having a piece of equipment that is aesthetically whole and "as it should be."

Eyecups

One of these days, somebody will figure out how to 3D print brand new rubber eyecups for all of us old E, EII, and SE users. And there will be much rejoicing!

For the many Nikon glass, even the older 10X70s or 18X70s the rubber eyecups could be done also. We need to get the ball rolling, this could be done. One could make eye-cups for eyeglass wearing individuals set and forget, no more folding rubber.

Andy W.

I tested recent comments by emailing Nikon asking for eye cups (Part# 7636). The response was to send it in for repair. I did the same thing last year for SE objective covers (for a friend) and they arrived about a month later free of charge.

It seems Nikon wants to kill SE's once and for all.

Last edited:
Pileatus,

There has to be a way to make these with a 3-D printer, I will order a few of those. Makes me think you are right about the SEs. Composition of the rubber will be another decision.

Andy W.

Pileatus,

There has to be a way to make these with a 3-D printer, I will order a few of those. Makes me think you are right about the SEs. Composition of the rubber will be another decision.

Andy W.

I have no idea if they'd work but the dimensions are spot on. Material flexibility as you say, is another issue. I anticipated this shortage a decade ago and bought a few replacements. Glad I did, though annual Armorall treatment has kept my originals in fine order. I have them folded down 100% of the time...except, of course, for removal!

Pileatus,

Have you ever reversed the eyecups, I bought a SE 8X32 recently that had them folded upside down, the previous owner used them with glasses, so no folding required. I have an extra he sent me where he cut the eye cups down for viewing with glasses, I have no use for them since I do not wear glasses.

Andy W.

Pileatus,

Have you ever reversed the eyecups, I bought a SE 8X32 recently that had them folded upside down, the previous owner used them with glasses, so no folding required. I have an extra he sent me where he cut the eye cups down for viewing with glasses, I have no use for them since I do not wear glasses.

Andy W.
No, they're on as designed and folded down. I could actually raise them about 1mm to completely avoid kidney beaning but I've learned how to hold them without any problems.

I've loaned my SE countless times to folks interested in the view through an "old" porro. Some instantly take to it with no visual problems. One person acted as if stuck by twin daggers. More often than not people need a few minutes of adjustment before they get comfortable...if they ever do. Every time I use the SE I need a few minutes to adapt...then I'm fine. It's a tricky eyepiece some will find frustrating and unusable.

Just goes to show how facial structure shape makes a difference in the viewing experience with glass, along with eye-relief. For some the IPD on the 10X42 SE is too narrow. All in all though, I use both quite extensively. I wonder what a 8X50 or 10X50 would have been like.

Andy W.

Pileatus, have you tried those substitute eye cups on the SE's? I am wondering if that size might be just a little small. But the proof is in the actual use, and if the size you indicate works, I know where these are available on ebay, as well.

Pileatus, have you tried those substitute eye cups on the SE's? I am wondering if that size might be just a little small. But the proof is in the actual use, and if the size you indicate works, I know where these are available on ebay, as well.
I have only original Nikon 7636 eyecups.

When I get time this week, I will try to see if they work on the 10X42 and the 8X32. For the cost, if they do not work one is out very little cash.

Andy W.

I've loaned my SE countless times to folks interested in the view through an "old" porro. Some instantly take to it with no visual problems. One person acted as if stuck by twin daggers. More often than not people need a few minutes of adjustment before they get comfortable...if they ever do. Every time I use the SE I need a few minutes to adapt...then I'm fine. It's a tricky eyepiece some will find frustrating and unusable.

Hi Pileatus - that's a really interesting observation, and possibly one reason why Nikon is ceasing support for this model/range. It reminded me that most of the porros I've used have needed some getting used to at first, whereas the roofs have tended to be more immediately accessible, so to speak. Fortunately once I've learned how to look through them, as it were, I can put them to my eyes and be zoned in right away, although if I haven't used the binocular in question for a while it will take a little getting used to. Your experience and mine recalls another comment somewhere in Birdforum (can't find the exact post now - sorry) that the Habicht, 10x40, I think, was a binocular one needed to work at to get the very best view out of it.

Best regards
patudo

NB. I found the comment I was looking for! by Rathaus here: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3251922&postcount=2

I am one of those whose face shape, eye sockets, etc. are an excellent fit to the SEs---I have eye placement/blackout problems with many binos, but not with the SEs! I believe that the early production runs of the SEs suffered from SA issues of the EP, but those issues were corrected, at least partly, in later runs---at least that's my "theory".

I am one of those whose face shape, eye sockets, etc. are an excellent fit to the SEs---I have eye placement/blackout problems with many binos, but not with the SEs! I believe that the early production runs of the SEs suffered from SA issues of the EP, but those issues were corrected, at least partly, in later runs---at least that's my "theory".
From personal observation, 8X32 SE's with serial numbers 501, 504, 505 and 550 all have the same eyepiece. The only optical difference I can see is that the 550's are a hair brighter, when viewed in low light. When I first purchased a 550 I immediately compared it to 501/504 models indoors in very low light while looking at a shaded area. I thought I noticed a brightness difference and after several comparisons confirmed it.

To me, the brightness "advantage" of 550 and later models is so slight it's meaningless. My wife owns a 550 and I sold one to a friend. I've looked at many 8X32 SE's and still covet my 504, though I do use my wife's abandoned 550 on the second floor of our home. It's uncanny how consistent the SE is, both optically and mechanically.

No, they're on as designed and folded down. I could actually raise them about 1mm to completely avoid kidney beaning but I've learned how to hold them without any problems.

Same for me. I need a couple of minutes to adapt and then everything is OK.

Bob

Do You Believe in Miracles?

Today I found a small parcel on my front porch. It was from Nikon. Inside the box were two individually packaged rubber eyecups for the Superior E 10x42 binoculars. Free of charge! I am stunned.

This means at the very least that the part still exists within the Nikon universe. For me, it means that I likely will not need this part again for my binoculars during my lifetime.

I have no idea whether this means additionally that other people can request the same part from Nikon.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back