• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (8 Viewers)

I've just received a report (via Brian) of a Great White Egret in trees near the river Salwarpe in Droitwich Community Woods on 27th August. May still be floating around Worcs somewhere - one at Grimley yesterday morning.

This morning's birds:

1 female Mandarin on Tapenhall pool
2 Ravens nearby
1 Little Egret perched in a tree at Hawford
1 Hobby over Hawford
2 Little Owls Linacres paddocks
Male and female Tufted Ducks near Chatley
Lesser and Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs, Swallows and House Martins
Several Meadow Pipits over

My first Siskin of the autumn over Mildenham.
3 Little Egrets on the river at Hawford plus a Mandarin flying around.
A few Meadow Pipits over.
Coot at Tapenhall and a pair of Tufted and a Little Grebe on the small pool near Chatley
Kingfisher on the river

Tawny Owls calling from Salwarpe village and Droitwich woods yesterday evening.

Little Owl yesterday morning in its usual tree.

Very quiet, passerine-wise yesterday.

The Whinchat flew onto a mound of earth where it was running around chasing insects - behaving just like a Wheatear! A nicely marked individual -probably an autumn male.

Other birds seen included 2 Coots, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Raven, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Skylark over, Pied Wagtails, Kingfisher and a Little Owl called near Hawford Farm.

Further species recorded over the weekend:

Little Egret flew down the valley over Mildenham on Saturday morning.
3 Yellowhammers flew over Coney Meadow yesterday evening.
Warblers still quite well represented with 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Common Whitethroat, Reed Warbler and lots of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs. Meadow pipits over in small groups of up to 8. Cormorants, Grey Wagtail, Skylarks, Mistle Thrushes, Swallows, House Martins, Ravens, Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Nuthatches, Goldcrests and both of the common woodpeckers.

A few other species recorded over the weekend (Fri and Sat only):

Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, flocks of Meadow Pipits over, Ravens, Little Owl, good-sized flocks of Linnets, Skylarks, Goldcrest, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Swallows, House Martins, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, etc.

Hi Dave.
I was walking the dog this evening down by Linacre bridge about 19:15. I saw a single bat, possibly the biggest bat I have seen in this country. It was hunting between the fishing pools and the canal. It had a very bulky body with broad wings. I thought it was a bird at first , but it was obviously a bat as I watched for while through my bins.
It was flying quite high (tree top level at least).
I saw some bats later up Egg lane they would would have been dwarfed by this one. Would you like to speculate what species it might have been?
Cheers Phil

Hi Dave.
I was walking the dog this evening down by Linacre bridge about 19:15. I saw a single bat, possibly the biggest bat I have seen in this country. It was hunting between the fishing pools and the canal. It had a very bulky body with broad wings. I thought it was a bird at first , but it was obviously a bat as I watched for while through my bins.
It was flying quite high (tree top level at least).
I saw some bats later up Egg lane they would would have been dwarfed by this one. Would you like to speculate what species it might have been?
Cheers Phil
Hi Phil,

Most probably a Noctule - they fly high and strongly on a relatively straight course - they are also big - the biggest common bat - in summer they often look like swifts at a distance until you get your bins on them.

About 40 Greylags flew over Coney Meadow this evening
1 Little Egret was hanging around then flew up the valley
10 Siskins over between Salwarpe and Ladywood yesterday plus another near Hawford.
2 Yellowhammers near Knight's Grove this morning plus one over Coney this evening
2 Water Rails calling around Coney this evening
Little Owl Linacres paddocks this morning and one near Hawford farm on Friday.
Raven, small flocks of Meadow Pipits, 2 Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Kingfishers, Grey Wagtails and a few Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps. Some of the Chiffchaffs were singing in the sunshine yesterday

72 Greylags in a field of maize stubble along Copcut Lane this morning - must be a record count - plus 40-odd Canadas.

My first Fieldfare of the autumn over Hawford
7 Siskins over Egg Lane
Tufted Duck on small pool near Chatley
Skylarks on the move overhead
A few Meadow Pipits
2 Ravens, Treecreeper, female Blackcap, Chiffchaff,Coal Tit, Grey Herons, Yellowhammer near Hawford Farm, Kestrel, Buzzards, both common Woodpecker species, Reed Buntings, Jays, etc.

Little Owl heard calling from Linacres paddocks but not seen.

Last edited:
Redwings have returned - about 30 over Jacob's Ladder and smaller flocks over Hawford and Egg Lane. About 20 Fieldfares over Mildenham with a few Redwings mixed in.
Siskins over in several places - the biggest flock of 15+ over near Daniel's Farm.
Singing Chiffchaffs yesterday and today.
Just 18 Greylags over Copcut this morning - 66 there yesterday. 4 over near Chatley this morning also.
Raven, Mistle Thrushes, Nuthatches, Treecreepers, Kestrel, Sparrowhawks, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks amongst other species seen. Great views of a Weasel on the Lane near Linacres paddocks.

Last edited:
A Water Rail called from along the canal near Coney Meadow a couple of times yesterday evening.
Greylag Geese (75+) and Canadas (100+) commuting between Westwood and their feeding areas.
A mixed flock of Redwings and Fieldfares over plus reasonable numbers of Meadow Pipits.
25+ Pied Wagtails roosted.
Noctule bat.

A Peregrine perched on a pylon near Middleton Grange this morning.
A Coot on Tapenhall pool on Friday plus a Tufted Duck on the small pool near Chatley.
193 Canada Geese and 41 Greylags in maize stubble along Copcut Lane. 78 Greylags over Coney this evening.
17 Skylarks over, 10 Reed Buntings and c40 Pied Wagtails Coney this evening.
Redwings, Mistle Thrushes, Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, a couple of Chiffchaffs, Coal Tit, a few Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtails, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

A Mink ran in front of me near Ladywood this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back